Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access GF2 'cool bits' for overclocking despite installing reg-hack... Tra lala

Options
  • 24-12-2001 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

GeForce2 MX
    Running Win2k (SP2)

I've installed the NV reg hack, yet the overclocking property page still isn't showing up... I've had it working before with other drivers, but the reg hack isn't working for these ones.
    Is there some other way to force it open? Could I be missing a property page dll somewhere?
    Anyone run into this? hmm?

I could use other drivers to get the o/c page, but these are the only Win2k drivers that I've found are stable for my setup :p

Wasn't entirely sure about posting this here, but it's kinda hardware tweaking related. <shrugg>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Aye there was a small and barbaric time where Nvidia disabled it completely. If you really want to stick with those dust laden thingys then I think there is a workaround listed at www.geforcefaq.com, involving mixing applet dll's from a dif version to get it working.
    Other options are to use something else to overclock, like PowerStrip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Cheers Creed, checking that out now...

I really need to stick with these drivers though, since any newer drivers cause my monitor to 'reset' (for the want of a better word) every time I change resolutions/refresh rates.
    By reset I mean it's like turning the monitor off and on again... you get the 'click-buzz' thing happening, and the monitor uses some sort of auto-degauss feature every time that happens.
    So upon starting a game or whatever... the monitor goes black, then fades back into picture along with an annoying BONG and wobbling degauss.
    Whatever way the newer drivers are changing display modes, my monitor doesn't like it :p
    Maybe there's a workaround on that site somewhere... ho hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hmmm....Have you applied the Nv refresh rate fix? Theres a bug in their win2k drivers that resets all accelerated 3d to 60Hz, regardless of what you have that res set for in the GUI. You might get round the problem by setting all your resolution modes to the same refresh rate with that util.

http://www.planetquake.com/ztn/nvreffix/ if you havent already got it.

The 21.xx drivers give a nice performance boost so it's worth trying to get them running.

Yeah, Niggy sent me the refresh fix within hours of my installing Win2k :)
    Since I use resolutions between 800x600 and 1600x1200, setting one uniform refresh would cap me at 85Hz, which is a bit pap considering 800x600 gives me 120Hz :p
    It seems to be only Win2k specific though... I use the latest drivers in Win98 without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

One other thing - if you have the MS/WHQL certified drivers, the coolbits tools probably won't work, as overclocking stuff has to be disabled for WHQL certification afaik.

Apparently there's feck all difference between the WHQL and non-WHQL drivers besides that.

• Advertisement

Aye that's what it says on that site too... seems M$ doesn't want anything to do with overclocking gf2s.
    Smelly pant-monsters that they are.

Hmm upon checking, it appears they were indeed WHQL drivers ... so after installing the newer nvidia ones, and spending ages tinkering around with nvreffix, un-installing and re-installing my monitor from device manager, rebooting several hundred times... I finaly got the new drivers working as they should.
    *phew*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jester

u should try "rivatuner", its worked with all the drivers i've ever d/led, u can d/l it at http://www.guru3d.net, good piece of software, lets u tweak about with ur agp settings as well :)

Advertisement