Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

send the output of a device like a DVD player or Webcam to your other computer(s)

Options
  • 24-12-2001 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

hey

was just looking up

http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

& it says you can send the output of a device like a DVD player or Webcam to your other computer(s) does this mean that you can play an mp3 on one computer in a lan and use the speakers on all the computers in the lan to listen to the song

don't know if it's possible but it sounds cool and was just wondering if anyone know a way this can be done
    as i have a small network setup at home
    3 machines all using win98(se) connected through a router
    and would love to be able to do it

cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Villiros

You cannot make all machines play same thing without running player (like winamp) on all of them. If you want all machines to play exactly same thing simultaneously, set up some streaming audio server on one of them (www.shoutcast.com) and tune players on other machines to it.
    What they meant in the articles, is, probably, that you could set up your dvd-rom (or folder with your eh... archive copies of musical cds) as a network drive, so all machines in network will be able to acces whatever is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was able to stream the feed from my TV card to other pc's on our 10mbit lan easily enough, using MS's (free) windows media tools. The only problem is that the machine with the tv card/whatever has to encode/compress the video on the fly, which can be very CPU intensive. it'd work best with a dedicated machine to do the streaming/compression, but that's a bit overkill for a small home LAN i think.

Advertisement