Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem to mobile phone

• 08-08-2000 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    just wondering about this. Does anyone know what phones can be connected to a modem ? which is the cheapest one ? Is the speed restricted to the gsm 9,600 baud ?

I was rooting around on nokia website about the 3210 ad they had in the specfication, 'external call control'. does that mean it can be controll by a modem ?

Any ideas ?
    Cheers
    Gav

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Check out www.store.eircell.ie - it's the Eircell webShop. There's an e-merge accessories bit (that ties in with the e-merge site) and they're got some sort of hi-speed mobile thing for Nokia's - it gives 28.8 connection speeds. This might be something along the lines of what you're looking for.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

You can also get alot of phones with built in modems. Just use the irda link or a cable from your phone to pc, no need for a messy modem because it's already in your phone.

The motorola timeports, the nokia 7110, 8210, 8250 and 8810, the ericcsson sh888, the siemens s35 etc. etc. have built in modems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

but no matter what phone you use ou are goin to be stuck on 9600 bps ... which doing anything beyone checking your mail on a telnet will be sooo slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

using cr-wap a lot niall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

How about trying Eircells HSCSD ( High Speed Circuit Switched Data ) connection.?

Used with Nokia's PC Cardfone (£365) Its offering people a 28.8 wireless connection when plugged into a laptop...

Lots more info and user comments below ....

http://www.topgold.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000011.html

‡PJ‡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm Niall. Most likely not me you're talking to, but how and ever... I use WAP a fair bit- only because of work though... seems to be a passing phase to me...

bring on I-Mode... (yeah right!)

Bard

|home page|scary éire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

lo dave,
    so i guess it was me you were talking to,
    na havent been using wap .. long as the phone does phone calls, messages & doesnt require weightlifting training to bring it around like the last one im happy ..

none of this new fangeled internet from my phone stuff for me ..

c22 (Niall)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭OctaviaN

From what i hear I-Mode is due to replace WAP
    Apparently at the end of this year??

well the Nokia high speed kit for laptops r ****e ive been using them altho i cant compare to other mobile forms of comms for the same purpose browsing the net and using pcanywhere ther not quick at all!!
    weh had 5 or so here on appro and r sending them all back.
    Connection speed is sort of ratio -> u can have 28800 send + recieve or 48k!(yeah right!) recieve and that in effect turns the send buffer/switch down to 9600 in the middle u have 19200 send and 33600 recieve or something to that effect catch my drift?
    if u dont? dont bother with em.

just buy a t28 from ericsson and a mobile office little thing which plusgs into bottom of phone that gives u the ability to send/recieve email and has a small ir port on it too!
    T28s - 149 squids
    D28i (office) 85 squid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

no chance of i-mode
    wap is hear to stay, it will be better with gprs though

Advertisement