Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce 4 - End Of January

• 25-12-2001 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Found this on the net lads, all i can say is OMFG !!!!!!

Enjoy!

"First, we would like to point out that T&L unit of GeForce4 will acquire the second vertex shader pipeline. Also all GeForce4 graphics cards will support DVD decoding on the hardware level, support TwinView technology and have two built-in 350Mpixel RAMDACs. The major advantages of the GeForce4 family over the previous generation chips will be comparatively higher working frequency of the core and greater memory subsystem bandwidth. It will be achieved due to the use of faster graphics memory chips and the core redesign, which nevertheless, will be produced with 0.15micron manufacturing technology. And now a few words about some particular representatives of the GeForce4 and GeForce4 MX families. The rumors say that there will be two models in the GeForce4 family and three models in the GeForce4 MX family.

GeForce4 Ti 1000. This is the fastest graphics cards built on GeForce4 chip working at about 300MHz frequency. The card will have AGP 8x interface and 128MB DDR SDRAM memory working at 700MHz.

GeForce4 Ti 500. This is a bit slower solution with around 275MHz chip frequency and 600MHz memory frequency. Although it will have AGP 4x interface, the card will still come with 128MB graphics memory.

GeForce4 MX 460. This is the eldest representative of the GeForce4 MX family. It will probably have 4 rendering pipelines and DirectX 8-compliant T&L unit. The amount of DDR graphics memory used (with 128bit bus) will be cut down to 64MB, and its working frequency will be reduced down to 550MHz. The core will work at 300MHz.

GeForce4 MX 440. These cards will go with 64MB DDR SDRAM with 128bit access bus. The memory working frequency will be 400MHz and the core frequency – 275MHz.

GeForce4 MX 420. According to the available data, this GeForce4 MX version will be targeted for the Low-End market that is why the cards built on it will have 64MB SDR SDRAM memory working at 166MHz. The core will work at 250MHz. Besides, It looks as if there were only two rendering pipelines in this modification.
    As far as we know, GeForce4 and GeForce4 MX should be announced in the second half of January. That is why there is not so much time left before we learn the real specs of these solutions."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

hmm... wow.. still might wait till the GF 5 r somthing comes out :/ upgrade my TNT2 ;)

-adren-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Jeez! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

we can all wowee at the price of those as u can be assured they will be in excess* :ps of 500 pounds , 650 euros *must get my euro calculator*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I wouldn't put much faith in that article.
    Basically all they've done is extrapolated from the current part, suggested an increase in clock speeds and the addition of the 2nd vertex shader already in use on the X-Box.

I'm not saying it's wrong, just to take it with a pinch of salt, it'd take all of 2 minutes to make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

Hmm.... and Nvidia make no mention (that i can find) of this on their website.
    I don't think that the 8x AGP bus will be out by Jan. Still at v.95 according to Intel website.
    Thirdly why would Nvidia realease another card so soon? It doesn't make much business sense to me.
    But it will be so. Eventualy.
    Just my thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

if one card has agp 8x interface they all would, seeing as the top chips and the lower chips would all be the same batch, just different speed grades.

i'd like to see em do something new with it, more polygons yes, more fillrate, but really all that takes is a higher clock speed and graphics ram, 3dfx were talking about voxel acceleration which could have been interesting. maybe moving to a psuedo tile type architecture.

dream graphics card would probs be the nvidia tnl engine/vertex shaders, combined with the kyro II rendering method, and with the same texture pipeline setup as the 8500 (4x3), and maybe the crossbar memory controller, all clocked at 500mhz (ddr = 1ghz), and the nvidia driver development team, embedded 128megs RAM if needed also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

All I can say is... FFS! NOT AGAIN!... having just got my new comp with a Geforce 3 Ti200 this pisses me off slightly. I mean the Gefoce 3 was supposed to have special features for games designers to use and still hardly no one's using them, yet already they're shoving the next card down our throats :( I mean when Quake 4 comes out and we get to use Geforce 3's special features, we'll all be on GeForce 5 and have to wait a year for a game to come out that supports it's features, by which time we'll be on a Geforce 7...

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to stop the march of technology but it seems to be more of a full on sprint of technology which only millionaires can keep up with. Does anyone here seriously believe you should change graphics card every two months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

AGP 8x interface already used on the ATI RADEON 8500, and supported by a handful motherboard chipsets already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Ah good I was thinking of getting a 8500 next. Apparently it pees all over the Ti500 plus its cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

128MB DDR SDRAM memory working at 700MHz.
    Isnt ddr and sdr mutually exclusive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

No, they're not (For the base design anyway). There are one or 2 motherboards out there that can take both, just not at the same time.

Just copped what I think you meant WWM (so shoot me it's too early to think minus coffee), DDR-SDRAM is the correct name (Double Data Rate - SDRAM), it doesn't mean DDR and SDRAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah,

DDR is pretty much the same as standatd (SDR)single data rate SDRAM (this acronym stands for Synchronous Dynamic RAM) apart from the fact that it comes in a different standard package (184 pin for PC1600, PC2100 & PC2400 as opposed to 168 for the corrosponding PC100, PC133 and PC150).

The main difference is that data is clocked into and out of DDR RAM at twice the frequency of the standard clock rate as the memory is clocked on both the rising and falling edge of the memory bus clock.

It is impossible (or at least highly impractical) for them to operate together due to the different timing constraints for clocking data from the SDR and DDR due to the use of both rising and falling edges in DDR.

Advertisement