Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second-Hand Monitors

• 25-12-2001 3:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Is there anything I should look out for when buying a second-hand monitor ? Or are they even worth buying second-hand ?

I can get second-hand Gateway 17" monitors for £95 or 19" for £165. Sounds great but there's got to be a catch I'm thinking.

Opinions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Its pretty hard to tell if a second hand monitor is in good condition or not.

The main problem is that you are more than likely minus any form of guarantee. If the equipment is pretty new and It looks like it was looked after reasonably well then it depends on how big the price difference is. The main things that go wrong with CRT monitors are internal and will rarely be noticable until they go.

I'm not 100% sure what the retail prices would be for those monitors, but I recently bought a Hansol 920D Flat-CRT 19"(18" Viewable) (Vat free) through a friend. This came with a full 3 year warranty which is pretty damn good.

The prices do seem pretty good to me tho.

If the picture quality seems right, the monitor looks to be in good nick and theres no wierd smells or noises they should be OK. Most monitors are designed to last a long time. (I have a 3 year old 17" gateway(Crystalscan 700-069) one too and Its never given a single problem.) And buying form someone slightly trustworthy helps too.

Advertisement