Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on PC Link with Minidiscs

Options
  • 26-12-2001 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi I bought my computer in mid 1998, but it only has parallel ports not USB ports. I am now going to get a personal minidisc player and notice that some of them can be hooked up to a PC and they come with a USB plug for doing so. As my computer only has parallel ports i was wondering if there is any adaptor or other device i can get to enable me to hook my minidisc recorder up to my parallel ports? I don't know very much about computers so i don't understand them very well.

I'd be grateful for *any* help:)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Nope, not that I know of. Your best bet would be to buy a PCI USB card (Usually ~30 quid) to add USB to your PC.
    Actually I wouldn't worry too much about this, especially if you're feeding from Mp3's. Both Mp3 and Minidisk use destructive compression, the need for a digitally perfect link is not as important in this case imho (Whereas it is much better for CD-Minidisk since you're starting with a higher quality non-compressed source.). Of course that depends on the quality of the analog converter in the Minidisk too.
    One advantage though would be not having to set the record levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Of course that depends on the quality of the analog converter in the Minidisk too.

Yes it also depends what bitrate your mp3s are encoded at. If they are only 128kbps then i'd recommend just using an analogue output, say from the headphones socket on the speakers to your MD recorder. I've been making minidiscs from mp3s like that for years and quality is fine.

However if you want exceptional quality from say 320kbps mp3s you might want to invest in a USB card. Ive heard thi sUSB link is liek $50 or something? To me it doesn't sound worth it, i'm going to be buying a new recorder soon and i don't think i'll opt for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

i wouldn't go spending a fucjload of money on an MD player at the moment.

wait and get one of these when they come out(about 2/3 months)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I've got a drive built into the front of my computer called "Live Drive 2" made by Creative. Its the ****! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

On the topic of Minidisc recording, found a nifty Winamp program that lets you add a 4 second delay between each playlisted song, so that the Recorder has time to insert a Track Mark.

Probably already have one already, but if you don't, get it hyar!

• Advertisement
Advertisement