Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENN: Ireland's waiting game for flat rate Internet

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

The lack of flat-rate dial-up Internet access is actually a step backwards for Ireland, because at the beginning of 2001 Esat was offering its Surf No-Limits flat-rate package, which it discontinued by summer because of overuse.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The lack of flat-rate dial-up Internet access is actually a step backwards for Ireland

"ACTUALLY"?! Was it ever in fscking doubt??!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

According to Esat, it now plans to offer an ADSL service in Galway, Cork and Limerick by March or April of next year.

I dont think I'll be holding my breath waiting for this to happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I dont think I'll be holding my breath waiting for this to happen

Well, Esat never actually said the unbundled service was going to be SDSL, it's only been rumoured. And they have requested access to another bust of exchanges. The Christmas fairy has whispered in my ear that some of them might be in Cork.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

:D:D:D:D

Did I mention :D ?

• Advertisement

Don't blame me if I'm wrong. Just a rumour.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Have Esat said anything about ADSL products in Dublin? Have Eircom said anything about ADSL outside Dublin? Hmm.. surely not another cosy cartel..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think they will naturally avoid direct competition for as long as possible. Only when they meet in the middle will that occur. Until then it will just be a war of words. If Esat provide ADSL in Limerick, they may price it lower in order to put pressure on Eircom (via the ODTR) to lower Eircom's wholesale bitstream rate in Dublin. But direct competition would be much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 plum

But remember the Irish times article - Esat are only interested in SDSL as a substitute for leased lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

What about Nevada Tele ? Whats the story with them ?

• Advertisement

But remember the Irish times article - Esat are only interested in SDSL as a substitute for leased lines

Which article is that again plum?

What about Nevada Tele ? Whats the story with them ?

Umm, absolutely nothing at the moment Marcus, they seem to have been bluffing. One of the other interested parties just took a step past them anyway, although I can't reveal who (I was told in confidence).

adam

Esat challenges Eircom
    for local loop

By Jamie Smyth
    Esat has applied to access Eircom's local telecoms network and will use it to offer high speed Internet services to customers in five urban centres across the State.

The decision by Esat to pursue a process known as local loop unbundling represents a major challenge to Eircom and is a significant milestone in Irish telecoms' liberalisation.

Esat is planning to introduce a technology called symmetric digital subscriber line (SDSL) in urban centres outside Dublin including Limerick, Cork and Galway.

The company has begun a fast track programme closely monitored by the telecoms regulator and has begun negotiations with Eircom to gain access to its local telephone exchanges.

ESAT will initially provide services in five areas including Galway, Cork and Limerick by April 2002 before it rolls out the technology to more than 20 towns across the State.

The cost of the fast-track programme is not known but the whole Esat proposal is projected to cost more than euro 25 million. The Government will provide up to #10 million in grants to the project under the National Development Plan.

The main beneficiaries of Esat's move into the digital subscriber line market will be small and medium sized businesses. Until now companies have been forced to wait long periods for leased lines from either Eircom or competing companies.

However some forms of DSL technology used in the US can be installed by the end user without the need to wait for technicians.

By using SDSL technology companies should be able to gain cheap broadband connectivity. Prices for similar services in the UK are roughly £4060 per month.

The Esat deployment would be the first of SDSL technology in the Republic as Eircom has chosen to introduce asymmetric digital subscriber (ADSL)line in Dublin.

Both types of technology increase the digital capacity of ordinary phone lines and enable consumers to use high-speed data Internet services many times faster than dial-up modems.

But SDSL provides the ability to send large chunks of information at high speeds as well as receiving them, according to telecoms consultant, Mr Enda Hardiman. "This would enable Esat to use SDSL to offer leased lines," he added.

Mr David Taylor, director regulatory affairs at Esat, said the introduction of SDSL technology would enable the firm to break Eircom's stranglehold on the leased line market.

However, while most telecoms experts welcomed Esat's move last night as a crucial way to extend broadband connectivity to the regions, many also urged caution.

Since the European Commission took the unusual step of mandating local loop unbundling from 1st January 2001, few companies have carried through on initial proposals.

Although up to 10 firms initially expressed interest in gaining access to Eircom's local network, only Esat has made a formal request to gain space in local telephone exchanges.

Eircom has also issued a legal challenge to the pricing structure which the telecoms regulator, Ms Etain Doyle, has laid out for unbundling, claiming it does not allow them to recoup investment in the local network.

Last night Ms Etain Doyle said her office was providing as much support as possible to allow unbundling to take place. However, she also moved to dampen unrealistic expectations.

"Local loop unbundling was never going to be the solution to absolutely everything. It is just another access method," she said. "It has tended to develop relatively slowly in other countries."

Should have added that the article is from July 2001

Advertisement