Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geforce bios

• 26-12-2001 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

i got a geforce 256 reference bios (v3.1 or so) from http://www.x-bios.3dgames.ru/ , flashed my old (heat damaged) geforce 256 using it, next reboot the monitor didnt switch on (although the pc booted fine), so i booted blind into safe mode command prompt, ran "nvflash.exe -foldbios.rom" (oldbios.rom was the image of the bios originally on the card) , then pressed "y"
    i know it worked fine this far, cos the nvflash.exe turns off and on all the keyboard LED's in a pattern while its flashing the bios, and it did that.. so next time i rebooted, i expected to see the monitor switch on... no luck.
    i booted blind again, flashed it again, waited for like 5 mins, switched off, reseated card, switched on.. again no luck.

can anyone figure out whats happening here.. any suggestions?

im not really bothered about it, it was a heat damaged card anyway (which was why i was messing with its bios in the first place), but like, shouldnt flashing the card with its old bios make it work?

its a creative labs ct6941 geforce 256 card with the ID changed to "Quadro", this is why im pressing "y" after the nvflash.exe line - i know it asks if i am sure i want to proceed, cos my card says its a quadro and the bios is meant for a geforce 256
    (its an easy job to change the id's with a soldering iron to unlock the quadro features, id do it for £15 if anyone wanted, only really useful for professional-3d-design-CAD-whatever types though, wont make a difference in games performance for quake anyway, as quake doesnt use the extra instruction set)

Advertisement