Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

56K Prob

Options
  • 26-12-2001 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

OK, we've been wracking our brains over this one:-
    My Mum wanted to check her hotmail. My Dad gets a brand spanking new Internal PCI Modem, with a nice shiny "v.92 supported!" on the box hmmmm....... Anyway, I throw it in, and install drivers using the ****ty Win98se wizard, where it insists on calling itself a 'Lucent Winmodem', when Lucent aren't mentioned anywhere on the packaging. However, all seems to be going fine. Then I go to dial up. Correct ISP phone no., phone line was working fine when I checked. Modem vol. is on full, so when I hear the modem open into the line, I hear a nice engaged tone, before the modem even dials up :confused: Check the phone line with a phone, hear no engaged tone. After several uninstall/reinstalls the problem still exists, and everyone I know that knows something about computers is stumped. My MCSE brother declares it's that **** microsoft OS. I have ignored him.

The only anomaly I can think of is:- A while back I took that comp apart, for reasons of my own, not thinking I had to reassemble it. I did, but that's not a problem. Except that I forget to reattach the OS/2 mouse port to the motherboard. Being too much hassle to attach it to the now obscured motherboard, I leave it be - I won't need it anyway. Now, win98se declares that the modem is on Comm3, IRQ 10, but Comm3 is not declared anywhere in the system as existiing, except in the modem profile.

That's tonnes of info, but I'm completely stuck. I have come to the conclusion that the modem is b0rked. Anyone?
    Thanks all :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

right, very very last resort, clear the cmos,

before that have you tried downloading the right drivers from the site. incorrect drivers are the main cause of these things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Try installing the modem in a different PCI slot. I have a lucent chipset winmodem, and it would never complete a dialup until I moved it to a different slot. Once it was moved, it worked fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

dump the bloode lucent and take the v.92 back to the shop

why pay extra for a feature that doesnt work in ireland anyway ?

then, go get an external trust 56k modem, great piece of kit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers lads, can't download the right drivers, 'cos it doesn't say who made the ****ing thing!!!:mad: Anyway, I'll try switching PCI slots, and otherwise, I'll tell him take it back and get an external one. Damn machine is too slow for an internal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

This is possibly a stupid suggestion, but it looks to me like its to do with the phone cable.

*ducks*

Hang on lemme explain!

If I plug the phone line right into the modem, it won't work, because the modem picks up the line immediately (not being reset or something, er, I dunno. happens on every modem I've ever worked with) so I have a little splitter thingy that stops that happening. It takes the line, provides a "phone" socket and a connector to go into the modem. All I know is, I can't dial out without it, or if I don't use it and plug the line directly into the modem, I have to start dialing shortly after so that the line doesn't go engaged, like the way, er, if you pick up the phone and don't do anything it'll eventually give an engaged tone.

I dunno, perhaps I'm talking bull, but it could be the problem.

It's 3:30am, don't bitch too much if I am talking rubbish. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

hmm you could try opening up hyperterminal.
    once you are at the console type exactly this even if the characters don't appear
    atz and hit return
    now type
    atdt 11811, if you hear a dial tone and then 11811 being dialed, the driver is probably ok I guess so then you should make a new dial up networking connection or sumthing?
    or
    start + setting + control panel + modems + your modem and test modem.
    If you get a whole load of ati responses then I think you might be looking at a problem in the number you are dialing or the modem settings.
    Check to see if in modem options you have something like atx3 if so remove it and try again or sumthing?

sleep data, sleep.
    he's exhausted.
    Yes Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Here are the latest drivers for your modem (try both):
    V.92 support: http://808hi.com/ftp/modem810.zip
    V.92 not supported: http://808news.com/ftp/ltw/modem600.exe

V.92 is no benefit in Ireland at the moment anyway.

BTW, brand is irrelevent if your modem uses a Lucent chip, unless the company has some speciality hardware with the modem too. ;)

Brendan

Advertisement