Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP probs. AGAIN....

• 26-12-2001 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

*sighs*

less than 2 fúcking weeks I have the PC and at the minute, I'm finding it hard tos top myself driving my god damn fist through the moniter and kicking the h/d to death.

If it wasn't the my games acting up, twas installing a optical mouse.

NOW, tis installing a SB LIVE 1024.
    Jesus Christ.
    I mean, I NEVER had probs like this with my old machine and that was a pile o crap.

I have onboard sound with the PC which I disabled through the BIOS.

I already had the card in b4 I disabled the sound.

The drivers and software, I had to install b4 i put in the card to see if they were compatible with XP.

Now, when I click on volume control or anything to do with volume and sound, the PC grinds to a fúcking halt. It runs like a 486. :(

It says the driver isn't installed but when I insert the disk, it wont install the drivers.
    When I try to update drivers, it says I'm already using the best driver for it.

I'm extremely lost and pissed off.
    CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP b4 I destroy a £1500 PC ?????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Wrong board matey.

Okay..try this: Go into device manager, go to the sound card, find out what *.dlls and other files its using..delete them, THEN install the latest drivers that you got.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I wouldn't actually say its for the ms apps/os board.
    Anyway, tell us the full spec of the machine, what motherboard is in it, or at least what chipset, and what other cards do you have in it.

Most likely problem is a severe irq conflict, go into control panel -> system -> device manager -> view resources by type and tell us what irq the card is using, and if it is sharing with any other cards.

Once we have a little more information we can start suggesting possible solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Creative SB Live! (WDM) Irq ---- 17

MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device Irq --- 10

No conflicts what so ever.

P4 1.9
    256 RAM
    Not a clue as to the type of Motherboard .... doesn't say in any mauals or shít.
    No other cards.

It's shítty onboard sound.

Last night I took back out the card and was left with no sound a all.

Put it back in this morning and still it acts up.
    I cant install any of the software.
    It says the drivers are already installed but the onboard sound still shows up in Device manager.

When I go to uninstall it, the PC grinds to a halt again.
    The same when I try to adjust the volume.

I mite try deleating the .DLL's when I knock off line....see if it works ..

I am completely and utterly stumped. :confused:

I managed to get the software installed :)
    BUT
    when I went to click on the mixer device tab, it said "Failed to load plugins"

I tried to deleted the .Dll's but it wouldn't let me.
    Right now, I'm sitting here with NO sound again.

Could I have the card in the wrong PCI slot ??

I uninstalled the card again and am gonna try again l8r tonight.
    It's driving me fúcking mad ....

As my hair continues to fall out and my blood pressure continues to skyrocket, it is becoming apparent that it a driver comflict with XP.
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

*sighs*
    Typical of the shít that happens to me....

Anyway.....

Does anyone have the address of a site where I can get XP drivers for the SB LIVE! 1024 ???????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Kaimera

The drivers and software, I had to install b4 i put in the card to see if they were compatible with XP.

THEN:

Anyway.....

Does anyone have the address of a site where I can get XP drivers for the SB LIVE! 1024 ???????

Hold on, so you're saying that after you have blamed XP for all your frustration and had many folks here trying to help, that you weren't even using XP drivers to begin with?
    Oh dear.
    Yes, I'm sorry. this type of sh1t will happen to you if you don't put a little more effort into getting hold of the correct software. I don't mean that to mock you, just to make it clear you should ALWAYS try and get OS specific software first, if that fails then try a Win2k or Nt driver but only then.

Lets see, "SBLIVE DRIVERS XP" into Google.com and voila, first entry is exactly what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hah.
    Maybe try lookin in Control Panel > Sound & Audio Devices thingee. Set that to yer soundcard.

Also, install the XP drivers from the site someone else mentioned. Have to agree with creed. Don't complain about installing something if you haven't even put the right drivers on yet.

The above setting should fix the mixer problem.

well, IF I had sound coming from the card with the wrong drivers, who's "fault" is that? Me points the finger @ XP ....

Twas mostly the software that was acting up....Digital Audio Center, CD Player, Audio HQ....none of them worked at all....

I'm gonna get the drivers soon enough ....how is it the file package is so damn big??
    Ah well..
    Originally posted by _Creed_
    and had many folks here trying to help

I apologize for any "headaches" this may have caused due to my drunken state when I first tried to install the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

no, thsi is where this should be, totaly hardware based problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

98Se/Win2k/XP and to an extent NT are all supposed to use the WDM driver model so if you installed a WDM compliant driver from one of the other Os' it would explain why you had some sound (But then nobody seems to do WDM's correctly apparently, hence the problems afterwards).

If you mean Liveware 3.0, it contains a helluva lot of software needed for the card besides the drivers. Why the extra XP update is 5mb though I don't know.

Advertisement