Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion and suggestions...

Options
  • 27-12-2001 12:42am
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

Grab a coffee....

Firstly, this is not a forum I visit often because I find it too noisy... too much fluff to get through before I find something interesting to read.
    Based on that, I would prefer to see more filtered content on the main website. I would be concerned that there still isn't a proper FAQ on the main site - if I came to www.irelandoffline.com as a first time viewer, I wouldn't necessarily bother to read through the .org stuff.... and getting to the forum (here), I might lose interest after going through a few topics....
    My suggestion is to have a section on the main site - just even under the news page - that has a synopsis of the more interesting topics discussed in depth here.... like what I sometimes see on topgolds ubb....
    Something like:
    posterA says:
    blah blah blah...
    but posterB thinks:
    rah rah rah etc...
    , snipping out all the fluff in between...

So basically someone would go through the more relevant content here and present it on a more immediately accessible format on the main site. This content could also form the backbone of a newsletter…
    I think that it would be more immediately accessible to newcomers that way and I believe that as a pressure group, new members are the lifeblood...

Secondly, having mentioned the FAQ earlier in the post, I think that this is pretty important to implement on the main site straight away. I see that a committee member is dealing with this... what state of readiness is it in... and if he/she needs help with it, why not put out a request. And I don't necessarily mean a FAQ to be a technical dictionary - basically a FAQ of what are the issues involved, like no flat rate etc... something that won't intimidate or bamboozle a newbie/technophobe.. basically something your mother could read and at the end, understand the issues. A more complete FAQ or whatever could be dealt with on an ongoing basis...
    Making this preliminary FAQ dynamic would be interesting, adding a "viewed" column in the database and sorting the results by this "viewed" column, you would get an indication of which questions people wanted to see....

Thirdly, as SACM mentioned in his thread, what about the standard letters of complaint? He was criticised for not making any suggestions (bizarrely IMO) but the points he raised were perfectly valid, (albeit in a more disgruntled tone than he could have taken – then his thread got the medion treatment… :/ )
    Again, lets assume I am a newcomer to www.irelandoffline.com - I find out some stuff that gets me going a bit... I want to do something about it... I come to the forum here and lurk for a bit... get overwhelmed by it all and I fade away....
    Bearing that in mind, the "what you can do" element on the site is weak tea in my opinion. Ok I can register my support etc, but people will want to be more involved....
    And don't say that they can be involved here.... take me as an example - I have nothing to offer on a technical level - I wouldn't know DSL from LSD and besides, the NET/COMMS forum is the home for that kind of stuff... Also, I don’t know any of the legal issues involved... ok I can better understand the Business logic behind some of the decisions but I am not an expert.... basically I am a user.... so why would I post here... to complain about my internet costs? --- seen it all loads of times before.... it's all part of the fluff...
    So unless I have some incredible new ideas that will fix everything, there isn't much I can do besides bolster the numbers. But I could bolster the numbers and at the same time send a pre-drafted letter of complaint to my TD. I could read about the relative state of affairs between Ireland and the rest of the EU regarding flat-rate and/or broadband.... I could tell my friends about this and email them a link to the www.irelandoffline.com site - where they could find out everything - not a bit there, a bit here and some more at the .org site... you are assuming that people will delve too deeply IMO.

Lastly, regarding the state of this forum, I find it peculiar that people are so defensive here... If someone posts a complaint that has (even a tiny amount) of merit, don’t slam them for not simultaneously posting a suggested fix. Imagine you are a retailer…. A person comes into your shop and complains to you about something – remember, you could tell them to fvck off, you didn’t ask them to come in.. they are not obliged to come in here… or they can come in here but fvck off and don’t complain….
    As a retailer, you would love it if people pointed out where you could improve but surely you could discern this yourself based on the complaint. And then you decide whether to act on the issues rose.
    I understand that what we have here is a voluntary pressure group and not a retail business but ignore the parallels at your peril. If committee member x is too busy to take care of say the condensed news idea I proposed here, then put out a request and authorise ordinary members Y and Z to post these kind of news articles on the main site. Basically, this would by extension involve more members because if they posted informative, clear and intelligent discussion on the forum here, their efforts might make it onto the main site.

Operate to your strengths – involve the members more, either directly (with responsibility for a particular job or whatever).
    Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
    Don’t be defensive when criticised – deduce the best approach to take based on the criticism, as long as the criticism is valid and not flaming…

Regards,

Mark Hennessy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 angryuser

Well stated Licksy. I noted unfortunately that your post was viewed by 51 people, but no responses since 26th December ?
    I too stroll through the forum from time to time, but do not stay for long, for precisely the reasons you mentioned. Too many posts about irrelevant matters, too many fights going on, and not enough constructive suggestions, or involvement of the members.
    Frankly the forum has become such a bore that it only worth a very rare visit. go through all the posts and count how many are totally relevant to the 'cause' ? sure there are lots of posts about news items and URL's but where does all that get us ?
    I am tired of reading from certain people that "nothing to report, wait until we are ready to tell you" Wait for what ? Nothing ?
    It has some similarities with the Mafia. "Wait until we tell you what to do" ?? Your suggestions Licksy should be read and acted upon immediately by those in 'power' (sic) especially the part about the main site and the FAQ and the arrival of new members, interested readers, etc: It would also be of relevance surely, to all members, and readers, to see and read a list of the achievements todate. ? Not what has been done, like the 'Blackout' and so on, but what has actually been ACHIEVED todate ?? !! how much progress HAVE WE MADE ? Any ? Are we any better off now, than when we first started back in May 2001 ?? Enough said.. bye, bye for another week or so !!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

I agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Good to see a response, although I am disappointed that one of them is a showing of a “yellow card” – quick, bring out the rule book…
    If you feel that what I posted does not bear merit then I’d prefer that you either ignored it or else came out and said so directly… you won’t hurt my feelings.

I presented what I believed were valid points, offered what I feel is a workable solution. In my opinion (and I now see I am not alone), this forum is too cluttered – getting to the posts that are particularly relevant is not always easy…

Ok, if you check here every day then maybe it’s fine but…
    Imagine you first come to IOFFL say on March 1st 2002
    Are you expected to trawl through all the old posts here to find out the good stuff?
    However, if the “good stuff” here was condensed into dated news articles on the main site, they would be immediately accessible. And let’s face it… the “news” section of the main site is weak
    It is fine to get publicity in the media and link to that on the news page of www.irelandoffline.com but I would prefer the news to be the postings of the members on the forum here…. Without the fluff.
    Think of it as a greatest hits album… minus the B-sides.

As an add on to my first post, is there a place where the committee members are listed? I had a quick root and didn’t come across it… as I said, I don’t follow every post here….

Regards,

Mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Very very well said Licksy20. I completely agree with you. The whole don't complain unless you have a solution is very valid.

The mods do get a lot of complaints here and many of them are of the "You fascist bastards, how dare you delete my thread on bombing errorcom " type but some are valid complaints too, yet most seem to get the same treatment of being brushed off with the "if you're noy giving a solution then you're not contributing and are wating our time "

I think also the .org, .net and .com website should not be different, they should be mirrors of themselves. Navigating to a different website is such a waste of time. The core information should not be scattered over various websites. It should all be in one place.

Also the news section looks like there has been zero activity since before the blackout, last story: "Web Blackout Planned" , no story to say it was a success, we were on the news, we were on the radio etc.

I also would support Lickys solution that he provided. There you go, someone complained and gave a suggested fix, will this be listened to ? Hmm, well a url for the Rules was provided. Great reply that ......

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Licksy20

is there a place where the committee members are listed? I had a quick root and didn’t come across it… as I said, I don’t follow every post here….

True, why not have that as a sticky with the details on it ? Also why not have a general email that will reach all committee members, I'm sure adam could fix it so committee@irelandoffline.org will get to all committee members. Sure theres going to be spam and abuse from some people of the medion variety but theres also going to be intelligent communications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Keep the suggestions coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey

I think also the .org, .net and .com website should not be different, they should be mirrors of themselves. Navigating to a different website is such a waste of time. The core information should not be scattered over various websites. It should all be in one place.

This is being discussed. There are good arguments on all sides!
    As Mike said....Keep 'em coming:)

Also the idea of "committee@irelandoffline.org" feedback option will probably come in the form of an online comments section on the site which will then be received by the committee.

Good to see a response, although I am disappointed that one of them is a showing of a “yellow card” – quick, bring out the rule book… If you feel that what I posted does not bear merit then I’d prefer that you either ignored it or else came out and said so directly… you won’t hurt my feelings.

You asked about a FAQ, I pointed you to a post explaining about irelandoffline.org. I didn't feel the need to sugar coat it.

adam

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Maybe so, but if there was no ulterior motive, why didn’t you just post a link to www.irelandoffline.org in the first place?

Besides, I did mention in my post that I think that the .org site is messy.

Ok, briefly my points-

.org = messy
    .net = too much fluff mixed in with the good stuff
    .com = not enough content

Now, and as other people are pointing out here, the concept of 3 separate domains anyway is flawed IMO.
    I don’t actually believe that a non-techy type person would delve that deeply to find out stuff.

Deduce what you will from the above – my preference which I already stated is for the .com site to contain all the best stuff…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 angryuser

I think 'that' comment says it all !! ["I didnt need to sugar coat it" ] !! Nobody asked for sugar coating, but to reply to Licksy with just an URL was surely a bit insulting ?? How about a reply to his constructive suggestions and proposals ? Is that toooo much to ask ?? How about making him the "Members Rep on the Committee" ??? Seems like there is quite a 'divide' at present ??
    Maybe even worse than a divide ? Let the members speak up on that ? I note there was no comment made about our "achievements" ?? Wonder why ? Maybe we have not achieved anything ? Maybe it is this, and the frustration of members that occassionally boils over and therefore creates unkind remarks from them ? for frustration is evident, everywhere on this forum and has been for a long time. Frustration undoubtedly, that we appear to be going nowhere and to have achieved very little ?? Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i support these views, i do to thing the FAG sections should be on the main site, maybe thats somethign to wait for untill we have our own server, maybe not. We have come under attack for loosing the ensitive, some of that has been from muppets, granted, others by long time cinices, but a fair portons by the member ship.

you have two groups of people here, the bitchers and whiners and the people who will do what ever is asked from them,
    the secound group are getting slightly concerned that there doesnt seem to be much for them to do. the seminar showed we had at least 200 members that will willing to get off their arse and support us in the real world,

these people are slow to voice concerns for fair of being classed with the muppets flooting around. these muppets who cry freedom of speach so much have made it impostible through there stupidity for anybody to convidently make suggestions and i for one am sick of it.

right, so what to do, in case of this topics, the points raised should be put to a 12day poll, both sides should put forward their arguments in a claim fashion, and upon the outcome of the poll, the changes(if any) should take place, we were once prised as an extremely professional group, why not act that way.

I think 'that' comment says it all !! ["I didnt need to sugar coat it" ] !! Nobody asked for sugar coating, but to reply to Licksy with just an URL was surely a bit insulting ??

How can posting a URL be "insulting", "showing a yellow card" or "bringing out the rule book"? It's a URL for gawd's sake, a link to the post explaining where users can find information about IrelandOffline, including the FAQ, which was specifically mentioned. Jesus Christ, you can't even open your mouth these days. I sometimes wonder why I bother.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey

My sentiments exactly.

I have pointed many people to the .org URL and was very surprised to learn it's not the main site but a FAQ project. Is IrelandOffline is a not-for-profit organisation or a commercial enterprise?

I have pointed many people to the .org URL and was very surprised to learn it's not the main site but a FAQ project. Is IrelandOffline is a not-for-profit organisation or a commercial enterprise?

It just happened that way, it wasn't intentional. The domains are all owned by different people, and the .org site is on a different server altogether. The original site was on another server, using the .com address, and moved to Boards.ie shortly afterwards. The .net domain was registered by Cloud and pointed here for convenience. And I registered the .org and set up the WikiWikiWeb on one of my servers. We're working on it, but it's a little tricky because myself and Fergus (Fergus did the calculator thingy) work on BSD/Linux, which means our code is written in PHP, and Niall works on Windows, and his code is in ASP. We just have to figure out which way to migrate. The URL is an old beef between me and Niall, he thinks it should stay where it is, I think it should redirect to .org. It'll all be sorted out in the next week or two anyway.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Snowbat
    Is IrelandOffline is a not-for-profit organisation or a commercial enterprise?

Do you really think Joe Punter either knows or cares about how .com and .org were meant to be for specific types of organisations?

Or are you just looking for another stick to beat the committee with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Adam's explaination noted - thanks.

Originally posted by pete
    Do you really think Joe Punter either knows or cares about how .com and .org were meant to be for specific types of organisations?

I know, I presume you know, and I expect many people reading this also know. Anyway, the point is what should it be, not how many visitors understand or care. There is an established practice/tradition, we are not following it currently, and it has caused both myself and Gandalf to direct people to the "wrong" site.

Originally posted by Snowbat
    Anyway, the point is what should it be, not how many visitors understand or care. There is an established practice/tradition, we are not following it currently, and it has caused both myself and Gandalf to direct people to the "wrong" site.

Errr, no. The point is not "what it should be" - the point is "what it is". People were directed to the "wrong" site not because IOFFL broke some long ignored nerd rule, but because neither of you bothered to check what the correct URL was first! Right or wrong, even the registrars responsible for issuing .com, .net & .org gave up on any distinction between them a long time ago, and quite frankly I don't think it matters one bit what URL IOFFL is using - what matters is people reading it.

I happen to think that all three URL's should point to the same site, and that there should be a lot more clarity in the committees approach to the IOFFL website.

Suggestions? Lose the Wiki stuff for starters - it's nice in principle, but IMHO it's just an exercise in geekness which doesn't really help cultivate the "professional" image IOFFL needs as a lobby group.

pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 exiztone2k

Yeah, how about we right a song, lmao, like that stupid "feed the world" song, it would have been class to do it before christmas, have a parody "feed the world internet, let ireland know its christmas time" or some stupid **** like that hahahahahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Marcus_Banned

"How can posting a URL be "insulting"

At the risk if getting myself in the bad books again I will try and explaine this as best I can. It was not the posting of the URL that mattered but the mannor in which it was done. It might have been mistaken for something else becaouse people that know you dont see this side of you. Again sorry if I put that wrong.

"link to the post explaining where users can find information about IrelandOffline"

I dont know if this again will sound insulting or not so here goes. As far as a lot of other people besides me think. It is a link to Old News. There has been nothing there since the Blackout thing. I have sent numerus people the the same URL. And you think you get smart comments from the people here ? You should see some of the replies I get from people I have informed about the IOFFL site and then asked them to join. I am not trying to caouse trouble here and there was some very good suggestions made in this thread. I find that some people start to get personnel when other people start saying what they see on here. It would be better to read the post from Top to Bottom and listen to the suggestions being made.

Again if im insulting anyone im sorry and if im going to be attacked again over what i have said. Then : ( <
    my attempt at a frown thing sorry.

• Advertisement

Damn, but threads should be split into two from now on at this rate.

This thread was doing well and I had high hopes but now again its turning into arguments about non-crucial stuff. Lets only debate about the opinions expressed please and not the replies.

Create a new thread in recycled if needs be about who said what and what they were implying. Cut the waffle and put it into a new thread, this includes my current reply to thread.

Those that feel a grievance (sp) should have the right to take it up with the mods or whomever else, but do it in another thread.

We all know it makes sense.

Not very nice I only agreed and gave my opinion as you just did and i did apologise too. I wont post to this thread again. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

I have to agree with most of what has been said already. The three domain thing is messy and it doesn't present the professional image that IrelandOffline is capable of. When IrelandOffline was formed Bard did an excellent job to get a good looking site together and that fact that so many of us voted for it to get an award shows our appreciation.

However, updating the website, getting information online and turning it into a propaganda machine has been a problem. I remember some talk about a "Content Management System" a while back and a quick search of the archives show it being considered in September and arriving Real Soon Now since then. Firstly, if we must use a CMS system why reinvent the wheel: Couldn't we just pull some scripts from the web? And secondly why not stick with HTML and KISS. As dahamsta has pointed out, getting into this server side stuff means a mix of scripting languages and skills. Everyone can do HTML, or save it in Word. I'd rather have a plain black on white HTML site with lots of information than an empty CMS system for us to admire.

The WikiWeb was set up originally as a place to trash out the content of a FAQ and to act as a kind of filter to the main web site. While it is a nice idea it lacks organisation and focus and I don't think anyone took that much interest in it. It is now part of the main web site and doesn't do anything for it.

We need good well written pages with facts, references and graphs to back them up for different audiences, such as a non-technical home user who needs it simply explained, a TD or civil servant who needs to see the national and political benefit and computer professionals who will understand any jargon. I think the committee should identify all these audiences and then ask for volunteers to be a writer/manager for a specific section. We would need no more than two or three for any particular section. They can then arrange between themselves how they will cover it. Don't forget that people like to be asked and people like to be thanked.

On this board there are a very interested but small group of people who are willing to take the time each day to see what's happening, filter out the (increasing common) noise and increase their knowledge. We can't expect the hundreds who have registered their support and the hundreds more who may have stumbled upon IrelandOffline to read months of posts on what is probably boards.ie busiest site to find out why they haven't unmetered access. We've a thousand plus email addresses. Enough goes on in here to create a fortnightly or even weekly digest of what we've discussed and send it to everyone. It keeps IrelandOffline, our goals and our progress fresh in their minds. For someone who doesn't want to give us their email the website should have similar digests and anything else we can put on it, such as Fergus' calculator. If the committee would be prepared to give email digests a try I would be happy to do it.

Ok, I can't go into detail because we're still discussing it, but I think it needs to be said that we /are/ attempting to deal with this, and to be fair, we've said that numerous times. All of the problems mentioned in this thread - and we /do/ recognise them as problems - have been voiced here again and again in recent months. Up until recently, it was a moan here and a gripe there, and although we get a little defensive - I'm talking about the past now, not the recent flame wars - I personally feel no guilt over that, because we answered the questions that were asked.

The fact remains though - I know you're all sick of hearing it, but the position is still the same - that we're a voluntary organisation, and we have other stuff to do. In recent weeks, it's all come to a head, but unfortunately on this occasion, it came at a really bad time - Elana and the babs, Martin and work, etc, etc. But we will deal with it. It'll take time, but we will. In recent weeks, three of us had a meeting to try and hash out a reorganisation of the group, including ways of getting the membership more involved; and the Dublin committee members are trying to organise a meeting up there right now. When that happens, we'll most likely have a consensus on what changes to implement, and you'll see a rash of announcements when it does.

Ultimately though, for now, you're going to have to sit back and be patient with us a little more. This week is going to be messy for everyone. Next week probably won't be much better. It's a busy time of year, and the gods are testing us at the moment, with the Euro, recessions and debt collectors on our doorsteps, etc. We'll get there, but like I said, you have to be patient with us. Complaining will achieve nothing unless it comes bundled with solutions. Criticism is useless without constructive commentary. It'll change nothing.

Finally, and this is a heartfelt request - when people do post blatant and unhelpful criticism, could you all just ignore it please. Pretend the post isn't there, block the user, do what you want, but just ignore it. It isn't helping us, but the flame wars are even worse. We're (the committee) all sick to death of it. Some us have called our own memberships into question many times in recent weeks. It's not good for morale. So please, I'm asking nicely, just ignore the trolls, ok? You're only giving them what they want when the respond. They're sick little people with no lives. Let them live in their own filth, eh? :)

Thanks,
    adam

From a total newbie point of view what the hell does this mean
    'WikiWeb' ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

As Adam mentioned, the geographically dispersed committee members have met in Cork recently and in Dublin today. The issue of enabling members to contribute in a more structered way has been thoroughly discussed and an announcement is to be made in the coming days.

The sheer volume of information we have needed access too has resulted in a lot of work on the lobbying front. The much valued pointers from users of this forum to reports and articles requires work to colate also, (but please keep them coming). This is also a major issue which has also been discussed and it too will be subject to an announcement in the coming days.

David Long
    Vice Chairman
    IrelandOffline

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AMOI, is there any plans for another membership meeting/debate similar to the one held in July(?), where IOFFL discusses the situation again with members of the offending/affected organisations? Perhaps in February, after (if) the official launch of ADSL? Maybe show eircom that despite the obvious marketing hype they'll surround it with, they're not fooling the internet users. Debate on eircom's future plans/LLU/other DSL services/FRIACO and anything else that is being dealt with at that time. I didn't go to the first one, being overwhelmed as a newbie, but would be front row centre for another one :)

Originally posted by Marcus
    From a total newbie point of view what the hell does this mean
    'WikiWeb' ??

It's secret code that loosely translates to "After all your mouthing off you didn't even bother to visit the bloody site."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Phantom XP

To Mr. donnel! Just because people can get / afford to go to dublin doesnt mean democracy is adhered to.

Why is there no polling of members on this board as all members have net access and can vote! No need to go to dublin.

Seem as lot is happenning yet and more some.

You have not been here to observe the sistuation ... so who can you comment when all threads have been deleted ...

[URL DELETED BY MODERATOR]

[Bard: THIS "Phantom XP" guy is another reincarnation of Medion and has therefore been banned again from this forum. Just in response to one of his comments "you have not been here to observe the sistuation [sic]"... well, actually- yes, odonnell_abu HAS been here to observe. He's the Chairman of the IOFFL committee - not posting a lot doesn't equal not observing... far from it, in fact.]
    [/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

My 2cents worth.

The .org/.net/.com thing is a really nice idea in a branding sense. Theres no need for the pages to be on different sites tho, keep it all in one site (KISS as somone said above).
    The faq/wiki thingie is way too in depth for Joe Dialup, it needs a simpler one.
    More news would be nice (i know it needs people to have time to update the site tho.)

A meeting would be a great idea. As was said, after the supposed launch of DSL would be good timing. If its not launched, we cant talk about that. If it is, then the price and QOS could be discussed. A LOT has happened in this area since the last meeting and seminar. A new one would be very useful especially if some telco reps could be persuaded to come?

Oh and :
    Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    i do to thing the FAG sections should be on the main site, .

Best typo EVER!!! :)

Advertisement