Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time

Options
  • 27-12-2001 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

So I'm from the States, Washington, D.C. to be exact, not that it matters a twit. I'm glad to find your station and right now, it's playing an ambient playlist. I like that. I'm coming to Dublin for my first visit ever to your beautiful country and yes, I am a U-2 fan--at least up to Achtung Baby, but I swear, I'm not sure any more--but I'm coming to Dublin for Dublin. I will not leave flowers at the Dockers with a note to Bono. Truly, he should be so lucky to meet me but crap, don't most sniveling fans say such things? Speaking of saying things, can you help me? I wonder what few things you think I should AVOID saying during my stay in Dublin? I'm arriving in January if that matters as to what a person might say. And I do plan to drink the Guinness, but honestly, I don't like it. I prefer the lager so should I order the Guinness in every pub I visit just to be nice or can I order the lager without being branded an effing Yank? Also, I like traditional Irish music for the first thirty minutes or so, but I'd like to hear something more modern but still in an old pub. And if people around me start singing, should I lip-sync? Because I won't know any of the bar tunes, I'm damn sure of that. What I'd like to do is sit at the bar or in a corner and quietly consume beer and have a good conversation. I'm quite ugly too so is it possible I'll be turned away from the pubs? Do you let old (48) ugly guys into the pubs or will I have to take a ferry to England? Enough for now. Truth is, we love Ireland over here. Or some commercial version of it, but still I do have a good friend who is presently in Dublin and loves your country and America, well, we wouldn't be as good as we are--in other words, we would be worse than we are--if it weren't for the Irish. Peace out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Medogsbstfrnd

Alrighty then, I'll get the dialogue going....

;) Look, we don't care if you come to Ireland or not, it's going to happen then it will be. Tourists scrambling around Dublin pubs trying to be Irish is like roaches showing up in the buffet line and trying to blend in. Come and look around but don't expect an epiphany. It's not like Joyce will meet you when you get off the plane. And as for what not to say well, we leave it up to you to say something significant but 'tis better to be silent than prove to the world you're a fool. Drink some beer and take long walks, if you don't freeze your arse off in January trying to get from here to there. We aren't Washington, D. C. Feigning to be so pretentious is far too much work. We hope you have a good time. Do wear the Mary J Blige shirt you got at Christmas, for she can sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have no idea if you are serious, but what they hey, I'm bored and in work, nothing better to do, so.....
    Originally posted by Medogsbstfrnd
    I wonder what few things you think I should AVOID saying during my stay in Dublin? I'm arriving in January if that matters as to what a person might say. And I do plan to drink the Guinness, but honestly, I don't like it. I prefer the lager so should I order the Guinness in every pub I visit just to be nice or can I order the lager without being branded an effing Yank?

Basically don't bring up the fact that you are American unless someone asks (and everyone will know anyway). Avoid talking to strange men(young or old) in pubs and you should be fine. I very rarely drink Guinness, don't really like the stuff, unless it's really creamy. Most of my friends hate the stuff too, and more Budweiser is drunk over here than Guinness, so knock yourself out :)
    Also, I like traditional Irish music for the first thirty minutes or so, but I'd like to hear something more modern but still in an old pub. And if people around me start singing, should I lip-sync? Because I won't know any of the bar tunes, I'm damn sure of that. What I'd like to do is sit at the bar or in a corner and quietly consume beer and have a good conversation.

Me too. There's no etiquette here, and if a pub is going to be playing trad music all night, you'll know all about it before you go in. You don't need to sing. Get plastered and no-one will notice that the words are wrong ;) Most pubs will play modern music, and any irish stuff they play is usually some minced-up dance version.
    I'm quite ugly too so is it possible I'll be turned away from the pubs? Do you let old (48) ugly guys into the pubs or will I have to take a ferry to England?

Bouncers like old people :p. You should have no problem getting in anywhere. Just don't sound like a tourist :)

I have no idea if you are serious

:cool: I was quite serious. Except for the part about being ugly. I'm really not ugly as ugly goes. But I am old and I'm relieved the bouncers will be kind to me. You mentioned that everyone will know I'm an American anyway. Now THAT intrigues me. Why is that? I'd love to know. Is it the way we walk or just how we talk that is the dead give away or perhaps the way we behave?

If you'll indulge me... I was a huge fan of U-2. Saw their post-modern Zoo TV tour at RFK stadium and then their Pop Mart tour (same place). I've got their newest cd. But something got lost after Achtung Baby. Are they beloved in Dublin? What's the take on them there?

hey, thanks for responding.:D

Yeah we know you're American form the accent, and they way you act when you're in groups. Akin to japanese people in America. U2 are just another band. You won't see any shrines to them or their pictures in windows. Britney and the other pratts have that priviledge :( Although they do own a few pubs in Dublin that you probably won't get into :). If you love the internet, tough. Ireland sucks @ss for the internet (see IrelandOffline forum). There's plenty of net cafes though, but I'm not sure about prices (never used one). :)

Oh, and make sure you change your money. Don't do what many Americans seem to do and assume you can buy with dollars anywhere. You can't. Most places won't take them, especially pubs, and you'll be told to **** off! We'll all be confused with the euros aswell, so you'll have something in common!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

wos never really a fan of U2 either but auchtung baby was good. ge remember the U2 rip offs ie Light a big fire etc....hehe I think the reason U2 made it was more to do with Bono's leaching onto record companys and a lot off banging on doors when most music newbies were clueless about the industry at the time.

Medogsbstfrnd
    you'll have a good time in Dublin....but I head for the west if I were u..ie achill island ect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

liek all cities everywere, there are places you will want to avoid, like the plauge. Places most dublin people dear not go.

best advise is to find some nice dublin las that will take you around to the places in dublin of interest. its a great city, but dont have you head in the clouds and you will be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

most people in Dublin like U2 too much, they're ok but hardly "the best bband in the world"

Some say "You don't like U2? How do you not like them, you're Irish?"

>they way you act when you're in groups. Akin to japanese people in America.<

What? You mean we flutter together and take lots of pictures and ask people who we don't know to take pictures of us? Let me ask you this. Doesn't the fact that I speak English make me less annoying than cloying Japanese who speak Japanese? Or does the American accent grate on your nerves that much? I'm going to do a test. I'll visit a pub and except for asking the bartender for a beer, I'll keep my mouth shut and let's see how many people ask me if I'm American. Or will my solitude in a corner give it away? I think there must be an odor about us or something.

Oh, and I don't get to pay with American dollars, eh? What the hell kind of country is that? Heh I'm going to get some Euros out of the ATM machine at the airport. Who came up with the name 'Euros" anyway? Sounds like a car they used to make in YUGOslavia.

As for me not heading in the wrong direction--well, thanks for the advice. It's very helpful to be told that and then NOT given the information on exactly where that might be. I'd love a lass. Should I hold up a sign that says "In Need of a Lass for Guide" or what?

U-2. They connected here and their continued transmogrification ( I think that's a word) keeps them interesting. I'll tell you who I really like though and continue to like is Van Morrison. He's a crooner. Where's he live?

Thanks for the great advice. I'll be lifting a beer in yer honor sometime in January. How cold will it be? Gads, too bad I can't visit in a warmer month.

"Doesn't the fact that I speak English make me less annoying than cloying Japanese who speak Japanese?" - no but saying things like that makes you more annoying.

"Oh, and I don't get to pay with American dollars, eh? What the hell kind of country is that? " - why would you pay with American money? That's the sort of attitude that makes Irish people not like yanks.

Originally posted by Medogsbstfrnd

What? You mean we flutter together and take lots of pictures and ask people who we don't know to take pictures of us?

Yep. Plus if you go up to the bar and say "Bartender, gimme a beer', he'll probably break down laughing at you. I saw a group of english guys go into the bleedin horse 1 time, and ask for a whiskey and a pint of lager. The barman looked at them quite blankly. We're very picky about our alcohol over here, you have to specify what you want :)
    [/b]
    Thanks for the great advice. I'll be lifting a beer in yer honor sometime in January. How cold will it be? Gads, too bad I can't visit in a warmer month. [/B]

Judging by the last few nights (-6C & -4C) it could be quite cold, but the weather over here changes more often than beckham's haircut.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Monkey
    "Doesn't the fact that I speak English make me less annoying than cloying Japanese who speak Japanese?" - no but saying things like that makes you more annoying.

"Oh, and I don't get to pay with American dollars, eh? What the hell kind of country is that? " - why would you pay with American money? That's the sort of attitude that makes Irish people not like yanks.

Clearly some Irish folks (just like some American folks) need to work on their satirical skills. IT WAS A JOKE I was using self-depracating humour to make your point about yanks! Joseph, Mary and God!:o

Originally posted by seamus

We're very picky about our alcohol over here, you have to specify what you want

So, if'n I wanna' Budweiser (which I never, ever would), I'd say "give me a Bud?" And if I 'twould like the Guinness, I'd say "give me a Guinness?" What if I don't know any of the lagers on tap, but just want a lager? Is this Irish precision or Irish nuance? I truly wish to be polite and not boorish or rude. I do NOT want to provide the Irish any more reasons for hating Americans. I just want to relax, drink beer and read a book.:confused:

You will not find a pub that doesn't have Guinness on tap :) Otherwise, the taps are all lined up in front of you at the bar, with the name of the beer pointing into your face, so you can't get it wrong. Simple. :)

Originally posted by seamus
    the taps are all lined up in front of you at the bar, with the name of the beer pointing into your face, so you can't get it wrong. Simple. :)

thanks for the tips.I read somewhere that the pubs close at 11pm in the winter. Is that true? Is there anything on Irish television at midnight worth watching? Doesn't putting out people from the pubs so early lead to mayhem in the streets?

"IT WAS A JOKE I was using self-depracating humour to make your point about yanks! Joseph, Mary and God!" - oops

Anyway, last orders at the bar is 11.30 Sun-Wed but 12.30 thur-Sat. You normally won't be turfed out any earlier than a half hour after last orders.

Extra tips: We don't say "Bartender" we tend to say "Barman/Barmaid". And even they won't really appreciate them if you address them as barman as in "Hey, barman, I'll have a pint of Guinness, please"

And if you're a bloke don't order half pints, it'd raise a snigger or 2, I don't know if it's the same in America.

*??]Originally posted by Monkey [/i]
    And if you're a bloke don't order half pints, it'd raise a snigger or 2, I don't know if it's the same in America. [/QUOTE]

Pints it is! I will order by the gallon if need be. Generally, Americans just order a mug of beer but the more upscale or micro-breweries go by the pint. I'm still confused on how to address the person pouring the pint, so I'm going with 'sir' ... I don't have much time to get this down as I'm leaving this week to enter your fair domain. thanks for the tips.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

If you want a drink in a pub just say:
    "I'll have Bud please" or
    "Heineken please" or whatever you want.

The barperson should then serve you a pint of the requested liquid.
    Some will ask you:
    "bottle or pint"
    Again decide what you want.

Lager:
    on tap
    (common) Heineken & or Carlsberg; Budweiser
    (slightly less) Miller; Stella; Fosters; Holsten
    (ever so slightly less) Warsteiner; Erdinger

If you like lager the bottom 2 are the best as they are from Germany.

If you like lager/beer a hell of a lot then visit Belgo (a Belgian restaraunt) as they serve over 150 varieties.Below is a review, where you'll find their address too.
    http://www.adlib.ie/review.asp?ID=1221&INDEX=102

Pubs to visit;
    all have relaxed attitude re: book reading etc
    The Long Hall, George's St
    Mulligan's, Poolbeg St
    Cassidy's, Camden St
    The Globe, George's St
    Hogan's, George's St

I'm sure you'll probably wander past some "fashionable" bars aswell. Try them out and have a laugh at our versions of post-high school jocks and cheerleaders in various modes of vogueing.

Here's a site to visit for pubs in Dublin:
    http://www.dublinpubs.net/

Tips:
    Never ask for directions on the street. Find a shop and ask if you have to.
    Keep camera equipment hidden until you have to shoot.
    Don't wear khaki shorts (obvious given the time of your visit)
    Buy "In Dublin" magazine when you get here. Its a what's on guide for the city/country

Its late, so I hope this has been of some help dear friend,
    paul chillage

Thanks for the tips! Actually, I just got back from my trip to Dublin late yesterday evening. I was four days in your "fair city" (I watched that soap opera one evening and will have more to say about television in some other post).

I didn't get to any of the pubs you mentioned. I did drop in at O'Neills and The International and The Oak. Problem was, I was alone. Didn't get much conversation in those places. I did, however, have a fantastic afternoon of drinking and conversing Sunday afternoon at Dohene's and Nesbits (a bar that got top rating on the web site for Dublin Pubs you mentioned--I'd come across that prior to my departure for Ireland). It was right on--a great pub.

Took the DART to Brey and climbed the big damn hill there--was a wonderful walk and cold and windy. Went into a little pub there (I forget its name as it was a forgettable place) and had a ham and cheese sandwich on toast while the regulars watched horse races on the television.

I'm going to put together some thoughts about my trip later. Unfortunately, I got to get back to work! Thanks, Dublin--enjoyed being in your midst even if was a short four days.

Advertisement