Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clocking your system?

• 28-12-2001 2:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Is there any programs out there to dload to tell you what speed your computer is running at?

The problem i have is i've just built a new rig with a 1.7 ghz athlon chip, but its showing up when i boot the computer as a 1.1 chip and seeing as it didn't say on the chip what speed it was and i dont want to have to take it all apart again after building it unless it is wrong i'd like to know what do i do to find out excactly what my computer is running at, when i go into system it says im running an authentic athlon xp chip and 256mb ddr ram which is true but i want to find out what speed the chip is at and any ideas what is wrong?....cheers

Farls

also having trouble locating the floppy dick drive, the computer will use it when i boot without the operating system but wont find it when i boot with windows, im using windows 98 btw, not getting windows 2000 till mid january

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

http://cgi2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~nrklv/cgi-bin/softdl.cgi?wcpu30d.exe

Where did you get this 1.7ghz athlon chip?

The athlon xp 1700+ runs at 1466mhz, if you didn't know that, well you need to do your research better in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Have you checked if the right clock multiplier and FSB frequency are set in the BIOS? For an AthlonXP 1700+/1.47GHz they should be 11.0 and 133 respectively (as 11.0 x 133 = 1.46GHz)

Maybe the FSB frequency on your machine is set to 100? 11.0 x 100 = 1.1GHz, so that would figure.

It might be worth checking these things in the BIOS, but, OTOH, I know basically nothing about this stuff, so this could all be nonsense.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

SiSoftware will do that.....you need to know more give me a hollar

ICQ 68227666 or pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah,

More than likely its the FSB frequency.

As mentioned above, (assuming you've got the XP1700) you should set the FSB speed to 133 and the Multiplier to 11 in your bios settings.

The BIOS by default when you install the CPU first will set itself to a level that won't fry the die. As far as I remember my XP1600 (sister chip of the XP1700 running at 1.4Gig instead) also was set to 1100 initially by the BIOS. I rebooted and set the FSB to 133 which solved the problem.

Be careful to only set the Multiplier to the max level your CPU will accept. (11 x 133 = 1463 for the XP1700)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I knew the chip didn't run the full 1.7 but i knew 1.1 was wrong, anyways i changed the FSB to 133 and alls running perfect now until the overclocking starts

cheers

farls

• Advertisement
Advertisement