Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lexx

• 28-12-2001 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Has anyone seen this show. It's poilit was on ages ago really late at night on C4 and It went on an on like a movie. Very grafic in its voilence. then I got Dig TV and saw an eposode on the Si-Fi chan.
    I kinda like it but what do you Guys (And persumably Girls) think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

used to watch that back when i had the sci-fi channel :) bizzare weird ... I liked it! :)
    Where most 'sci-fi' films series had some bit of scientific basis, this has absolutely none, fiction to the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Weird program - I could'nt stop watching for some reason - they had something like 4 movie length episodes and then a TV series - with a change of actress in the lead role!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

F*cking crazy series. I loved it :)

Plus that girl they had in the lead-female role .. purrRRRrrrr :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Spaceships that look like dragonflies, reanimated dead people that you could slice into little teeny bits and magically glue themselves back together, brains in jars, organic transportation that people take bits out of (and the damn thing shrieks in pain?)

Weirdest bloody thing I've ever seen. period.
    Gadget
    (Admittedly, her with the grey/white/platinum/whatever hair is cute - German, isn't she?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Inspector Gadget
    Spaceships that look like dragonflies, reanimated dead people that you could slice into little teeny bits and magically glue themselves back together, brains in jars, organic transportation that people take bits out of (and the damn thing shrieks in pain?)

What more can you possibly ask for? :]

I loved it too.

• Advertisement

Zev.jpg
    lexx2.jpg

lexx3.jpg
    They had an interesting sense of ship design! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

o yea, that thing, i think i saw that once, on rte2 at about 2 am on a sunday morning, i thought it was a bad case of something i had had that evening making me imagine all that stuff.

If was feicing messed up beyond believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

That ship rocked!

My favourite was the guy... whats his name...KAI! That's him. He just looks perpetually pissed off :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KevDaEdbanger

wow I posted this ages ago and forgot about it. only just looked back at it now and there are nice non spamy posts replying to it. I've been hanang around the CS boards too long.

back on topic did anyone se the midsummers night Dream Eposode? you know the one with the Fariy King and his *Cough* Manservent Puk?
    That was so strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Isn't the internet great. I can now Google crazy shizzle like Lexx which was in the back of my mind and catch it on YouTube and then post some random comment on a forum thread that nobodys posted in for almost 10 years :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

psychward wrote: »
    Isn't the internet great. I can now Google crazy shizzle like Lexx which was in the back of my mind and catch it on YouTube and then post some random comment on a forum thread that nobodys posted in for almost 10 years :D

And then I get halfway through the thread before I realise it's a ten year necro. And now you've got me googling it :)

Xev and Zev - I have a new item on my wishlist . Maybe everyone who watched this show passed away 10 years ago when the thread was last active lol

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Man, I loved Lexx - almost enough to post in an ancient thread for no particular reason :D - the earlier episodes and movies were definitely the best. It's fairly dated now, but at the time it just seemed cheap and cheerful and a bit camp. It's quite dark, though. There's not much value placed on human life and we're looking at declining human civilisation. Most people are obsessed with very base concerns, despite the high-technology that surrounds them.

There were so many great sci-fi concepts in the show. I often think its' sci-fi cred is often overlooked because of the bawdy nature of some of the concepts.

Some worked great, like the bug-based ships which
    ultimately were there because of a previous war with the insect civilisation which we're never really given too many details about.
    The fact that we know
    there was probably at least one plant 'civilisation' - and, in fact, a plant ended up being a major threat to human civilisation in the Dark Zone.

No one in the light universe was particularly good -
    the Reformed planets and the non-League planets didn't seem to produce particularly nice people.

The Brunnen G were quite central, and their song was certainly catchy during the show:

It was
    a masterful turn that the whole thing ended up being Kai's story. The epic mislead naming the show after the ship. Then introducing a strong tragic heroine in Zev. Then when she became the much less-admirable heroine Xev, they made it seem more like Stanley was the focus - a misunderstood comically frustrated figure. All the while, Kai was always there, bailing them out or being central to their decisions. The moment his ending was revealed, it suddenly all plopped into place. I don't know if they pulled that out of their ass because the series was wrapping up, but it almost seemed like it was pre-planned all along, and just seemed to 'fit' a lot of extra character development and scenes Kai got throughout the series.

That ending redeemed the series in my mind, which certainly felt very tired towards the end of season three and downright sloppy during season four.

There doesn't seem to be any major differences between the light universe and the dark universe. Indeed upon first being introduced to the concept of them both existing, it looks like the darkness is the nightmare they left behind and the light would be where they are going however they call their new universe the Light.
    Stanley continuously wears his class 4 security guard uniform despite being Captain yet then hopes and dreams of having pulling power like the Kai dressed in black. It's wannabe Romeo lesson 1 which he appears to fail even though it's really obvious that the Zap Branigan treatment would be a lot more successful. And not really knowing much about the insect wars or how Stanley apparently is responsible for destroying 94 Planets and 650 billion people.

I realized where I had seen the actor who plays Stanley before in a recent movie
    The main Bad guy ''The Drake'' in ''Hobo with a Shotgun'' where he stars alongside Rutger Hauer who also had a role on an early episode of Lexx Season 1

One thing I noticed that I wonder at is how the robot head in Lexx is named 790 yet later on in Star Trek Voyager there is a character named 7 of 9

Any connection or reasoning for those numbers I wonder ?

Wow this is my nerdiest post ever. I'm morphing into comic book guy ...*adopts Lorne Green Pose on one knee in Battlestar Galactica* :pac:

Advertisement