Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xtravision DVD Sale

• 28-12-2001 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Lo all,

Just a quickie. Was in Xtravision earlier today and they have marked all their DVD's down by £2.

That means they have some decent prices.

Gandalf.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

hehe... and I got a few 2 quid off vouhcers!
    What fun!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

HMV have dropped the price of some items too - picked up Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge on the River Kwai for 11 or 12 quid each. Worth taking a look - most of the good stuff is probably gone by now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭jes

damn i paid 30 quid for Lawrence of Arabia.
    i am quite the fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Hmmm, drunken weekend next week in Carlow or buy dvds Monday in the sales ? Jeez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

There are some good sales on at www.play247.com btw, use the side-banner adds.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Over the last few days I have been pricing DVDs in all the usual spots (Xtravision, Virgin, HMV, Tower, DMG Direct) and to be honest having bought from play247.com in the past, I would not under any circumstances buy (new) DVDs in this country again.

Even taking into account sale prices here, there is still a huge differential in price (typically over €10).

Examples:

Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels (directors cut)
    Virgin price: €26.99
    play247.com price: £9.99 sterling delivered = €16.50 approx.

Traffic
    Xtravision price: €25.99
    play247.com price: £8.99 sterling delivered = €14.90 approx.

Seven (2 disc)
    DMG Direct price: €30.46 + €1.90 delivery = €32.36
    play247.com price: £10.99 sterling delivered = €18.50 approx.

Also factor this in, you can buy Region 1 DVDs a good while before the film is available here (I bought Apocalypse Now Redux in late November).

Therefore, I don't see that it makes any sense whatsoever to buy any (new) DVD here at all.

Somebody please contradict me, I would much rather spend my money at home, but I just cannot justify spending so much over the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yup. I haven't bought a DVD here since the summer. I don't really buy from the US anymore directly, you can get R1s through Play aswell (And often a few days earlier than the release date for some reason - I got the last SG-1 release and Final Fantasy from them ~5 days early).

I went, I saw, I came back from the sales with £200 unspent. There was sfa that I wanted. Scanners was still around £20, and the rest I knew were cheaper on play247, so I'm handing the old fella my money and using his card to get me some dvds.

Xtra Visions prices were expensive I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep I don not normally buy DVD's in Ireland. I normally buy from Canada & Australia over the net.

During the Sales you can pick up a few decent titles at reasonable prices. Anyway I must head off and watch Moulin Rouge as received from Australia earlier today (yes I am staying in tonight, I've got a rotten flu that one of my so-called relatives gave me !!)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

I'm staying in to watch The Godfather Part II

Advertisement