Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c:\windows\Temp

• 29-12-2001 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

This is probably a silly question but what exactally dose windows use this Dir for and is it ok if I deleat every file in this folder?

This Temp Folder on my HD contains 350 megs of files i don't really need, or do I?

Thanx, BoB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

used as a generic scratch space by a lot of windows apps..
    winzip/ie/office .. pretty much any app in fact.

there should be nothing in there that you require...
    unless you regularly open zip files/pdfs straight from the web (in which case you probably have a few hundred viruses as well ;) )

close all apps and delete everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I delete it every shut down I do.

As I understand the Windows Temp folder it is there for faster

access to files you access frequently, think of it as a list.
    You don't need it, as long as anything that was using that file,Temp, is done with it. ie: installing programs sometimes uses that file to temporary store data untill the set-up program needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When you've got 350 mb in the temp folder its time for a clean out!

If you're not certain about stuff being important or not then you could just winzip all the programme files and hold them in a dedicated folder and get rid of the rest. Or even burn the folder to CD or transfere to Zip disk (if you have one).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Close all apps and Delete them all,

Its very unlikely that any data of even slight importance is stored there.

If a file won't delete the OS thinks it's being used by some program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Or head on over to the Swap-Space post on the MS Apps forum to find out how to set it to use a ramdrive (Faster and always deleted when you log off).

Also watch for C:\Temp, and on XP/Win2k C:\Documents and Settings\%logonname%\LocalSettings\Temp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

putting the delete everything from temp on boot is not always a good idea.

for instance if you are using word and your machine crashes you will generally find a nice copy of your document in the temp folder with an extension of .tmp
    handy way to recover your file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

deltree C:\Windows\Temp\ /y

ooo i must try that

ive seen it popup in college but never could get the code down fast enough

Advertisement