Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

your name

• 30-12-2001 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

you know, the thing you are known by in boards [well your official term]

why did you pick it ?

just another pointless 2:35 am post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

*Shrugs*

Just popped into my head... Sounded cool, and gothic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I understand a topic of this nature has been posted on boards.ie about 2,375 different times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

indeed it has, but since I'm bored and freezing, I got my name because I am a lump :)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Was registering on another BB and needed a name that a friend might recognise given a few hints and this was the first one than popped into my head.

And I've brought it with me since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I got mine because its my dogs name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Smiles was chosen by friends of mine to try and get me to smile more... and I think it has kinda worked :) as most people at the LAN (well the pub) said it seemed to suit me (*grin*)

Fio is just an abbreviation of my name, and came from the days of my spectrum (i was 6 or 7) and "enter your initials" meant that i tried to type in my name and was usually just left with "FIO" - so my brother started calling me it.... my family call me it a bit, but generally its kept for games and email addys :)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Amist thunder and lightening and other such special effects, on the seventh hour of the seventh day of the seventh month the Namegiver (who's true name cannot be spoken) did spake with with meh and said:

"Thou shalt have a name and it shall be 3 letters (not 4 or 5 but 3) and thou shalt use it on Usenet, and thou shalt use it on the INTARWAB and thou shalt use it on Irc (only you can mess about with it there and add on things like amp_doinstuff and stuff)

"The people will rejoice upon hearing your nick and shout praise in the form of the word "Test" and there shall be much lol'ing and roffling mayos in teh land"

And thus it came to pass that the name amp was bequested upon meh. Either that or it was a really wierd dream I had while stoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

fact is lot of us had these names before we came to boards.ie

from the wonderful world of IRC where I RULE!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ger outa that LK
    The only thing you rule in IRC is your /echo console :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Pretty boring in my case :) Alb is what everyone's called me since i was a kid, its short for Albert. My main screen name used to be (and still is a lot of places) kungfu, which i picked because i was practicing kungfu back when I first came online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by OJ
    I got mine because its my dogs name.

In the other thread of this nature (the link is in a post on this one) you said:
    mine came from my name Orenthal James

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Didn't Indiana Jones get the name Indiana from the family dog ?

I call Shenanigans !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I choose Mike65 when signing up to something else,
    proberly MSN, the 65 is my year of birth and Mike is quick to type.

Mike.

Originally posted by alb

???

Yea, my dog is called that for short too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

An old teacher couldn't remember my name. A keen GAA supporter, he nicknamed me Mixie, after a footballer with the same surname. It being firstyear at the time, it stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

as i said :
    just another pointless 2:35 am post

anyway i got mine from

wait for it

ac_prage_03.jpg

Gone Shootin' (A. Young / M. Young / B.Scott)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

From CS. God knows how or why i picked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Mine came from a former login thing, where Fubar was taken.

and because it describes me well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Back in my days of using Comic Chat (ha ha ha ha...) I needed a nick... the book I was reading at that time was Anne Mccaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern. The first book has a character called Lord Fax, who is sort of evil and greedy and a right horrible git.

So "Lord_Fax" I was, for ages. Then I saw someone using a "ph" in the place of an "f" and thought "hey! that rules!".. and so I became LordPhaxx. (Extra 'x' because it looked kinda silly without it)

And finally, I dropped the "Lord" because it looked too pretentious, and I'm left with "phaxx".

So there you have it, my nick has NOTHING TO DO WITH A FAX MACHINE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭dragonkin

bizzarly enough I also got my nick from Anne McCaffreys books (who is my favourite author of all time) well the Dragon part of it anyway.

The Kin bit is because I believe dragons rule the world and I rule the net ;)

DK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Well if you believe that when I used to work for Gateway as a Tech, we(techs) were advised not to give out our real names in case we were stalked etc und another guy there had the same first name as me, his handle was BO, so I thought and thought and said hmm how bout "cout" from C++?
    Anyhmm I s'pose Typedef was just a permutation of the same thought and I thought that if someone had not programmed in C++ I might have the mick taken for having a handle like cout or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Typedef
    Well if you believe that when I used to work for Gateway as a Tech, we(techs) were advised not to give out our real names in case we were stalked etc und another guy there had the same first name as me, his handle was BO, so I thought and thought and said hmm how bout "cout" from C++?
    Anyhmm I s'pose Typedef was just a permutation of the same thought and I thought that if someone had not programmed in C++ I might have the mick taken for having a handle like cout or something.

hahahahaha, an intelligent gateway techie!

i dont believe it!

everyone knows that all the brains were in the IT department :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Mine is what all the other rentboys used to call me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Originally posted by OJ
    Ger outa that LK
    The only thing you rule in IRC is your /echo console :p
    dream on

hey least I wasn't named after the dog. :D

Orgionally posted by LordKhan
    dream on

hey least I wasn't named after the dog.

lol, quite you. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I realised one day that I loved playing games that involved taking over the world. So it dawned on me that I most probably secretly a megalomaniac... so me a megalomaniac or meglome for short. In games these days I call myself ohmyeyemyeye for fps's or Spam McWacker for Civ3 and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

It's my real name............ no really it is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some guy at a party one night asked one of my mates if my name was seamus. Emmm.....no. But somewhow it stuck. Then a friend of mine decided it would be easier to call me seagull then my real name, because they sound so alike (He was quite stoned). Then I decided to get an original address in hotmail, and hey presto!(see my sig). Since then my nick on the net has always been seamus. And people get confused why? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

...another stoner party story...

..got completely stoned and p!s$ed one nite and just kinda collapsed on the couch... next thing I know I'm waking up to people drawing on my face and shouting "yaw! captain goodshape!". They thought it was hilarious. I through up. The name stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

got completely stoned and p!s$ed one nite and just kinda collapsed on the couch... next thing I know I'm waking up to people drawing on my face and shouting "yaw! captain goodshape!". They thought it was hilarious. I through up. The name stuck.

ah, such storied to tell your grandkids, if of course the drugs have not whistend your energy down to that of a sloth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

hahahahaha, an intelligent gateway techie!
    spot the former IT fool now working for Dell ;)
    everyone knows that all the brains were in the IT department :)
    Thats where all the babes were for sure heh :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

DeVore was from a book called Chung Quo by Dave Wingrove. Crackin book and I identified with the baddie right up until he started slicing people up... well maybe that bit too but only on bad office days...

Started in Trinity on tcd.talk and it stuck. Since then (14 years ago now!) I've been DeVore... some people *only* know me as DeVore heheh... I dunno if thats a good thing.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Since I'm facinated with astronomy, and would spend hours gazing in to the night sky (wondering why the hell am I a programmer), I had this thing for the planet Mars. It probably sparked off a couple of years back when they found signs of water under the planet's surface. I could instantly see myself having 50th Birthday celebrations on up there (yez are all invited, lol). All I have to do is get this damn teleportation device working. :p

Anyway since Mars is kind of a lame name, I decided to pick it's sattelite moon, "phobos".

So there ya have it, my secret's out!

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dobdobdo

Got mine when I started hummin it while surfin.

Q. Is DeVore pronounced the same as the chap from "Bachelors Walk"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

smak or smoke-me-a-kipper. from my favourite 'red dwarf' episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Yeats County

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast". Classic stuff, Red Dwarf rocks. :D
    My user name is pretty self explanatory.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The Paddy part as I'm irish like most in here and the Toxic part... errmmm dunno... it kinda just appeared... :rolleyes:

Advertisement