Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

WinXP shut down error

• 30-12-2001 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

I just upgraded from ME to WinXP and so far everything seems fine but when I restart or shut down my computer I get this error message: 'Regedit.exe - .dll Initialisation Failed, Application Failed to Initialise as the Windows Workstation is shutting down'.

There's an ok button but this message just displays for a split second before the computer goes ahead and shuts down or restarts anyway. Apart from this it seems to be working fine - online searching and MS have yielded nowt about this so far, anyone know what this may be?

Also, if I try the online help, the help insists my computer is not connected to the Internet although it is, IE6 and mail progs etc. work fine, but for some reason this wizard thing doesn't want to play ball.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Castor Troy
    I just upgraded from ME to WinXP and so far everything seems fine but when I restart or shut down my computer I get this error message: 'Regedit.exe - .dll Initialisation Failed, Application Failed to Initialise as the Windows Workstation is shutting down'.

There's an ok button but this message just displays for a split second before the computer goes ahead and shuts down or restarts anyway. Apart from this it seems to be working fine - online searching and MS have yielded nowt about this so far, anyone know what this may be?

Also, if I try the online help, the help insists my computer is not connected to the Internet although it is, IE6 and mail progs etc. work fine, but for some reason this wizard thing doesn't want to play ball.

i said install 2k, not xp :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From that error msg, it looks like regedit is attempting to startup while you are shutting down. Sounds like a bug to me, but scan for virii just in case. Then try out some of the fast-growing troubleshooting FAQ's , http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/default.asp
    for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

it will only get worse, upgrading causes far to many problems to be worth while, in this situation id do a clean install, better now then after your computer starts to crash every 20 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Probably XP trying to save some stuff to the registry as it shuts down and failing. And probably caused by some fupped up dll with the wrong version due to upgrading from win me. Like Eamo said, we warned you, you muppet. :)

As it's not a critical prob, I wouldn't worry about it.
    But here's some things to try anyway:

* Uninstall any crappy utility programs.

* Kill everything in memory bar explorer and then try shutting down, if it works then it's one of those boys. Kill them one at a time and reboot each time to find out which one. Then do a search for the file in question and uninstall it.

* Get new drivers for everything you can.

* Hit Jonners. Won't help the problem but may relieve some tension.

* But long term I'd think about a good old fashioned format and re-install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kayness@nildram

Dear TwoShedsJackson, did you ever find out what was causing the error message 'Regedit.exe - .dll Initialisation Failed, Application Failed to Initialise as the Windows Workstation is shutting down'? It has just started appearing when I shut down Windows XP, even though I have been using it OK for about 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xipe

Dear TwoShedsJackson, did you ever find out what was causing the error message 'Regedit.exe - .dll Initialisation Failed, Application Failed to Initialise as the Windows Workstation is shutting down'? It has just started appearing when I shut down Windows XP, even though I have been using it OK for about 2 years.

Dear people,

Same for me, here...

If there's a solution to it, I'ld rather try that instead of a complete new install...

Cheers,
    Xipe

Advertisement