Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem on Win 98SE

Options
  • 30-12-2001 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

I have a very annoying problem with my PC, when I turn my PC on, it is fine for about five minutes, the, all of a sudden, the Keyboard and Mouse freeze completely, and I am left with no input, the computer itself is working functioning properly, for example, if I am on IRC, I can see everything, the application doesn’t crash or anything, its just that I cant enter anything through the Keyboard or navigate thought the mouse, the only thing I can do is reset...

I have tried scanning for viruses with Norton 2002 (after being fully updated) and according to it, I have no virus's at all...

This is very annoying, I would like to keep reformatting a last resort, and if anyone has ever dealt with this or a similar problem, I would really like any information that may help me sort this out.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭dragonkin

Have you tried reinstalling windows ?

Just stick the windows CD in and double-click setup.exe.. it's all explained after that.

Of course the other option would be to upgrade to windows 2000.

DK

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

5 minutes of idle time? screensaver?
    are you using the windows scheduler software for anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I suppose I could reinstall windows, its something I haven’t tried before, so I am not sure about that option.

The problem is nothing to do with idle time as i am using the computer when the mouse and keyboard freeze.

Thanks for the replies, keep em commin, any help appriciated !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

have u done a fill scandisk / defrag ?

just to try EVERYTHING b4 you go and re-install, even tho its pretty easy 2 do

are there any conflicts in the system profile window ?

from here

Much worse are the occasions where the keyboard and mouse freeze for no apparent reason, and the system just sits in a frozen state. There are no surefire ways to determine the cause of these problems, especially because no telltale error message appears. Just turn the computer off, wait a few seconds, restart it, and let ScanDisk go to work. If the problem reappears, it may be time for a complete reinstallation of Windows on a clean hard drive, coupled with fresh installations of your hardware and software. Check the Smart Computing Web site at http://www.smartcomputing.com for many articles on Windows reinstallations

Thanks Gone Shooting, your post basically sumed it up, i guess ill try a scan disk and defrag before the windows reinstall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Had a mate who bought a brand new compaq with WInME(ugh). Exact same thing happening. Brought it back, got a new one, same again. They rang, and some guru said it had something to do with that crappy Internet keyboard that was shipped with it. They installed 98 instead, and have had no (similar :p) probs since. Reinstall methinks. There is a lot to be said for Scandisk and Defrag, but for most problems that won't fix it, in my experience :) Reinstall time. I counted 3 this year with 98se, that's the fewest ever for me, so I'd recommend sticking with that if you have no money. (otherwise go for 2k :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It'd be good to know the hardware details whenever you post a problem.

Are they PS2 or USB?
    Is it an Intel based or AMD system?
    Via Chipset?

Taking a guess at it being USB and VIA. Make sure you have the latest VIA 4/1 drivers installed and the USBFilter patch, they help prevent USB dropouts like this.
    If you have anything else connected to the USB bus (Especially a scanner/printer (Epsons being the worst for this with VIA)) disconnect it.
    If you have the mouse connected via USB ports on the keyboard then connect it straigh the mbd.
    From Device manager open the USB hub section and try disabling Error Correction.

If it's PS2, well....we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Nice site that GS
    cheers

Well, ive just reformated c: (i have a partitioned hard drive so all my stuff is still on d:) and reinstalled windows 98SE, was fine for about 30minutes, then the keyboard went, ive since restarted, and as i am typin this reply, the mouse is going...This is seriously pissing me off :/.

Is my best option now to upgrade to windows 2000 or Xp, if so, which OS would you reccomend???

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Rid thyself of the keyboard and mouse and try with others. See if it happens again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i would go with windows 2000 if u were gona upgrade

but but but, win98se is a pretty good OS [please dont hurt me]

so,

1) get urself another copy of the installation disk, culd be the actual copy that u have [borrow one from a m8]

2) Upgrade the motherboard files, get latest cmos version etc...

3) have you tried different input hardware ?

4) are the pins ok on the current keyboard ?

5) get urself a decent ulitilty management prog, one that monitors wat is goin on where, as ur prob normally comes from processes getting all confussetimiacted ;)

short of that go ahead and put in win2k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yes, reinstall, replace the hardware, defrag..er...virus scan....But Whatever you do don't answer some valid technical questions.
    Seems to be the trend lately, yes Upgd, since no doubt Win98 se just doesn't like your hardware (Evil evil Windows....;)..).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

How old is the PC? If its new (under warranty) and this has started happening bring it back rather than spending more of your money on it
    If its older which it sounds like it is and you did a clean install and its still not fixed then it could be

something is dying on the mobo, maybe it heats up and dies (is it overclocked?)

something changed on the system. Did you install any new h/w or s/w recently?

Its funny you mention this as the same thing has started happening on my old Dell (400Mhz PII) in the last couple of days. But I was messing with the bios just before it started happening....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I know some Dell Keyboards and WinNT had some conflicts before. The way to solve it was a reboot or a new keyboard in some cases.

Advertisement