Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Days To GO

Options
  • 30-12-2001 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

It is only two day's to go and i am just wondering is there anyone panicking out there, anyone empty the bank account's in the fear that the bank may round down instead of up.

I think that ppl are starting to realise that it is going ahead and is going to be a serious nature, a friend of mine who is not european actually was hoping to get to a bank before Jan 1st because they thought that they would not be able to spend £Irl, they were convinced that unless they were spending € Euro they would not be able to purchase anything.

Anymore horror stories out there,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I put a €1 coin from the starter pack into a coke machine at work and it registered as 75p

I thought that €1 was closer to 79p than to 75

to make it worse there was one of those "square deal" logos plastered over the front of it

square deal my butt

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

24 hours to go now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

registered as 75p

isnt that a good thing ? will you not get more change back intead of it being registered as 79p ? or am i seeing things ?

you seem to misunderstand

Instead of the €1 coin being worth 79p when you put it into the coke machine it looses 4p off its face value meaning you loose 5 cents off its value just by putting it into the machine

So one can of coke which should cost 76 cents (60p) should give you 24 cents change

but because your euro is now worth 95 cents you will only get 19 cents change making the can of coke 81 cents (64p)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭dragonkin

Spend most (well there wasn't that much) of today counting money ! (evil grin)
    Have a largish bag of change now.. all ready for euro conversion yah!

Saw images of ppl in austria getting ready for the euro today amazing that one thing can effect some many ppl in such a way.
    Will be cool to compare the latest hardware on all the euro websites tho to see just how bad a deal we are getting :(

DK

• Advertisement

was thinking of that when overseas visitors see how much we pay pay for things like drink and taxis and phone calls and small things like that they are going to want to go to another european country

same goes for europeans wishing to visit here

if i misunderstood before im damn well screwed now !

ouch my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by fcddunne
    was thinking of that when overseas visitors see how much we pay pay for things like drink and taxis and phone calls and small things like that they are going to want to go to another european country

same goes for europeans wishing to visit here

less of those outsiders the better.

less of those outsiders the better.

not if your in the tourism industry, but funny non the less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

11 hours and 9 minutes and counting

there was a story i heard from a member of the banks, and i dont know what the validity of it but i thought it was a classic.

One of the banks was doing a survey on how prepared the business's of ireland are for the big changover, they covered but large and small, retail and service but they got to the west of ireland (its always the west aint it) and the went into an old corner store more to buy something than anything else, but the got a conversation with the old lady behind the counter and just asked her was she all set for the changeover and her reply was

" Pay no heed to all that talk of Euro, that will never happen at all, its only them politicians in dublin looking for another excuse to let on that they are working"

like i said i dont know how valid and relaible it is but being from the west of ireland myself i dont doubt it one bit.

Hope it cheered you all up a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

God i work in a bookshop and we only got our euro pricing finished on xmas eve. im not sure how it will go but after the first week itll probabaly be grand and most people will only have euro anyway :)
    fingers crossed

i have to say i did get a bit nostalgic when i was counting the tills in irish for the last time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Woo, its here!

I am dreading work tomorrow, it's going to be such great fun explaining to old grannies that I'm NOT in fact ripping them off.

i too am considering that fact, its bad enough when i have to explain why the old dear needs a keyboard to work the comuter, never mind to actually explain the currency when she puchases one

Advertisement