Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FDISK and Windows NT?

• 18-08-2000 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I was given a H/D with NT 4 on it and I want to format it and put 98 on.Problem is I know nothing about NT and can't get a DOS prompt to use FDISK.Help me or I'll come round to your house and eat all your newspaper clippings mmmmmm!

OOOH,I hear laughter in the rain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just get your Win98 boot disk, load it up , run FDisk and choose to delete the Non-Dos Partition (Presuming the NT partition is NTFS).
    If that fails go to Gateway2000.ie, hunt through the drivers section for an old Cd-Rom boot disk, then run Gwscan\Gwscan.exe from DOS and choose write zeros to drive - low level format (The 'Take off and nuke it from space, only way to be sure' of formatting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd also suggest getting a copy of delpart - for hard to get rid of partitions that FDISK can't see. (I seem to recall not being able to zap an NTFS partition with some version of FDISK before... and as for Linux... *ahem!*)

Have a look at the document "How to Manually Remove Windows NT" on the MS Knowledge Base (article #Q103049)

Delpart and other useful programs for doing such an operation can be found at bootdisk.com

cheers,

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Bard
    |home page

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 18-08-2000).]

Advertisement