Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Lessons

Options
  • 31-12-2001 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Guitar Lessons available

Experienced Teacher

Successful curriculum

Beginners welcome and catered for

Home recording and songwriting techniques

Convenient Southside Location

Cheap rates

Phone: 087-6188828 or mail brunkard@hotmail.com for bookings and further information

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Alternatively try Tabcrawler.

Use winamp to play the song. Use tabsheets from tabcrawler and listen and play along. (how to read tabs is explained on tabcrawler also)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

It would be interesting to see if someone could learn from TabCrawler without tuition alright but I suspect that you'd have a very lazy style of playing, develop improper fingering habits and generally miss out on having all your faults easily explained to you by a tutor.

Years ago there was a generation of kids who learned guitar by Nirvana and Metallica tab books that are now ringing me up looking to learn to be more original, to play and write like themselves not like Kirk Hammet. A good teacher can give you that diversity of music and intoroduce you to different styles that you can assimilate into your style. Originality is only acquired through the melting together of diverse unoriginal styles.

And I need to eat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

The guys right, I started taking regular lessons a few months ago and it improves your playing no end.

Probably. I dont know. I learned to play purely from tabs and downloaded music. Its cheaper, and its fun. Guitar lessons would have to be technically better of course (well I assume so, I never got any) but in my case I was playing for fun so I just learned techniques as I needed them. Maybe they arent the best techniques, but its the sound that counts right?

So if you you want to see the end result of learning from tebcrawler, Im yer man, if you wanna do a university study or something :)

If the net worked for you then fair dues, Dimebag Darrell and Jimi Hendrix were self thought it has to be remembered.

But whatever about the net being cheaper it certainly can't be easier than someone explaining the same thing a multitude of different ways so that you can understand it or someone figuring out a song for you on the spot without any of the woeful inaccuracies present in some internet tabs.
    Maybe they arent the best techniques, but its the sound that counts right?

Man, I have to take exception here!
    Improper technique due to unchecked self tuition can lead to RSI, Arthritis and other musculaar-skeletal disorders. Not always to case but my girlfriends Uncle (a really fine player) was self thought and has developed arthritis at a very young age because of a seemingly awkward fingering approach.

As regards it all being about the sounds all that matters thats fine if you just want to copy what your axe hero's doing on the album but what if you wanted to jam (improvise) with someone else? Wouldn't it be great to have a notion of what will sound good before you play it? To know how to arrange your playing so it improves the overall sound of a band?
    To be able to take one of those chord books for a song written for piano complete with weird chords like CDim7 or Bbsus4 or G#min7add9 and be able to work out what does chords are on your guitar without having to learn another meaningless new shape out of a chord book. To be able to compose interesting music.

Thats what ya get with some lessons!

SUMMARY OF OVERTLY LONG RANT HERE!
    If you choose the other path with the net then good luck. Its cheapness can be weighed against its inacuracy, the risk of arthritis, RSI, etc. from unchecked improper technique, a risk of not being able to develop into your own style and be an artist rather than a music replicating machine (which is fine if thats what you want but why stop at being a copy of someone wheen you can write for yourself?!)

Congrats at doing so well off the net Palladin but be careful and don't diss the power of one to one tuition without having experiencing its benefits!

• Advertisement

Well what is more feasable maybe is learning how to play from the net - ie getting used to simply strumming and picking.

Definately there is a lot to learn from other guitarists such as the theory that you are talking about (something I admit to being hugely lacking) but the internet is very handy to learn the basics.

I would have thought it the other way around! I use the net to expand my own knowledge base but I can't imagine any of my beginner students learning the basics on their own. Each to their own I suppose!

Advertisement