Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Ireland now has the most vibrant wireless sector "?

• 31-12-2001 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Ireland now has the most vibrant wireless sector outside of Scandinavia.
    i read this in a review of 2001 on Electric news is this true can Ireland be ahead in any technological field?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps the technology journalist in question was referring to the number of pirate radio stations. ;)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

possible cus he sure aint reffering to our mobile or networking companys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Enn, if ever there was a well researched group of journos it was them ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i would normaly agree they are a realy good site and i enjoy reading it but in this instance i have no proof or facts to back up there views. Would you like to provide me with such proof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    Enn, if ever there was a well researched group of journos it was them ......

The main problem with ENN is a complete lack of expert knowledge. In fact this is the primary problem with most technology journalists. Since they are so dependent on recycling press releases they cannot tell when they are being fed a line of bullsh1t. (One of the best was some wannabe security expert from a big accountancy consultancy waffling on about having teams of their security experts working on factoring prime numbers. :) ) The main good point about ENN is that it can provide some good concise stories (where expert knowledge or analysis is not necessary).

The author of the article on ENN was Andrew McLindon. He was formerly the "editor" of the late and unlamented WebIreland magazine. In my opinion, he was completely unsuited to being an editor of a magazine that was even vaguely connected to technology. Like most of his ilk, he is better at doing puff-piece interviews and company promos.

The fact that the cost of WiFi network cards is dropping is due to the GLOBAL takeup of the product rather than it purely being an Irish event. As for Ireland being the most vibrant wireless area outside of Scandinavia, this is not exactly correct. The telcos providing internet leased lines have been forced to use wireless connections rather than waiting 40-100 days for hard lines from those tossers in Eircom. Back in the real world, the users are still stuck with Eircom trying to pull that con job about ISDN being high speed internet connections. WiFi has not made that much of an impact - yet.

The whole 3G angle is typical tripe for the clueless technology journalists. The awarding of the 3G licences here is an irrelevance. The technology is already fragmenting, growing in different directions and SMS still rules. The main problem with those 3G aspirations is that the display technology is still too small. SMS is ideal for that kind of mobile communications medium. WAP has been a bloody disaster for the telcos and 3G may well go the same way with other more efficient uses of existing technology knocking it out.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
Advertisement