Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Lord of the Rings" sucks donkey balls

Options
  • 31-12-2001 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Well it does. And I really dont care if anyone else thinks otherwise, it does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

YOU. ARE. WRONG.

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Dear Joanne (Man U Babe),

Die and rot in hell you stupid ****ing retard. I mean that in the politest possible way as otherwise this would be horribly censored beyond anything adam has done before.

Ok, sure people are entitled to their opinions... but you are, as of now, not. I'm sure some very intelligent people didn't like that film and had some very good reasons but in the end, who cares? They're ****wits!

That film was a marvellous example of HOW FILMS SHOULD BE! I know the lack of fart jokes and typical romantic comedy clichés made it hard for you to concentrate and the fact that it was based on the father of modern fantasy, considered one of the greatest pieces of literature, made it seem like you MIGHT BE LEARNING SOMETHING, but... in the end, that doesn't mean it was bad. Oh no! It means you are, instead, stupid. And very much so.

I must apologise for being so harsh, but after the whole limp bizkit thing and now this, you've proven your lack of taste and secondly I am a gamer and must defend the greatest piece of fantasy cinematics ever made (and one of the best films ever).

No insults to your person intended (beyond those used).

Love,
    Sven the wise.

<now... bring me the "INCOMPETANT" branding iron and some hot coals>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

SVEEEENNN (said with a flem-in-throat groul)

be nice - I don't know ManUBabe - she may have conventional tastes - but you were v. harsh

at the same time - ManUBabe - sweeping statements like that are just asking for a swift beating down - at least make a decent arguement against the film

I found that the film wasnt perfect - it sold out in some ways - like over emphasizing the battles - and it just got really boring after about 2 stories - but it was a beautifully made film

this is my limited wizdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

manubabe and sven,you are both entitled to your opinions,but did you have to be so harsh???lord of the rings KICKED SO MUCH ASS!!!I HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND I MUST MARRY LEGOLAS AND HAVE HIS ELF BABIES AND GO TO NEW ZEALAND BECAUSE MY GOD-DID YOU SEE THAT SCENERY??!!!WHAT A BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY!!!!it was also fantastically made,with amazing effects and apparantly it stayed very true to the book(i've only started it-*hangs head in shame for not having read it sooner*).

so there

OK... apologies...

Directly after I posted that I asked Ian was I being too harsh cause i thought i was and that i should change it. Ian said yes, but ManUBabe probably wouldn't mind so why bother. So... that's the story.

Hope it entertained you all. Really. I do. No. Really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Teleute

BEST FILM EVER!!!!!!!!

I mean, I've seen it THREE TIMES!!!!!

MY GRANDMOTHER liked it!!!!!

BEST FILM EVER, DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[and Arwen is a temporary measure, until SOMEONE TELLS ME HOW TO MAKE A CUSTOM AVATAR????? Adam, puh-lease? I was this close (*makes very small gesture*) to picking Pippin...and then I decided to use Arwen for now. But help????]

See below for preferred Avatar (I don't know what size the pic is so I'll resize it if too big but this is just a test run 'cause THIS THREAD GOES AGAINST EVERY FIBRE OF MY BEING so I'm going to mess it up nyahahahahahahahahaha!!!!)

Alright, that didn't work. Let's try this again:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Ok, as im now being ruthlessly slandered all over this thread, I must try to defend my statements.
    1. I'm not a big fantasy fan. I found LOTR very dull and boring and I refuse to watch the sequels.
    2. I really couldnt give a sh!t what people think of me, I'm just expressing an opinion here. Like you guys.
    3. I'm a martial artist, not a gamer. I have probably seen lots of kung-fu movies that you guys would hate, and I would probably react in the same way if anyone dissed crouching tiger or enter the dragon. Great movies.

I will now repeat myself.

LOTR SUCKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

What is the big deal about fantasy anyway? My best friend is always trying to get me to read "wheel of time" and i'm running out of excuses.

Sven, just because I dont have the same tastes as you does not make me a ****wit. I just happen to like different genres of film to you. Intelligence is not something based on what films you watch. I'm sure Stephen Hawking, were he not paralysed, would laugh at American Pie or Wayne's World.

Ok, back to LOTR. It was tedious, it went on for way too long, the ending sucked, and what's so much fun about some guys wandering around bringing a ring to some mountain to smash it?

Anyways, I'm a Harry Potter fan. If you havent noticed, my signature is taken from the first book.

POTTER FOR PRESIDENT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

the deal with fantasy is that generally the real world sucks so why not create one that doesn't??or one that may suck now but will stop sucking when the goodies win??

and anyway,if you don't like fantasy,what the feck do you call harry potter???

i love lotr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Calm down people. You're all entitled to your opinion, and can give it without killing other people in the process. Granted, that takes the fun out of it, but nonetheless...

Personally, i thought LOTR was a fantastic movie, but not quite the book. Since im such a fanatical fan of the book, the bits that the movie got wrong bothered me a lot, but its still a great movie.

However, i have to disagree with the 'best movie ever' status/label/hype. It's not. In my opinion. My favourite movie ever remains The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

As for Man U babe, i strongly suspect that she has never read the books, which would explain quite a lot of the ranting. Besides, if you dont like fantasy and you go to see a fantasy movie, how can you expect to like it?

Side note: From what i understand of the Wheel of Time, its a very long but very well written series of books in which nothing ever happens. Which quite spoils it, really. Dont read it.

A

Just to say firstly that any personal insults to ANYONE are usually made in jest. Unless you know that, in person, i am very pissed at you don't take them on board. THIS IS FOR FUTURE REFERENCE!!!

Ok, second, Fantasy is not everybodies cup of tea. Like Sci-Fi. And yes, most fantasy sucks BUT to apply (insert forgotten name here)'s law "90% of everything sucks".

LOTR is slow, although liking martial arts you might have enjoyed the fight sequences. I personally am a big fan of HK films (HAIL THE JUDGE IS THE BEST FILM EVER EVEN IF THE SUBTITLES ARE WEIRD AND OCCASIONALLY DISAPPEAR!!! "I WILL KILL HIM INTO PIECES!"). It's a story that's meant to show you around a new and fantastic world. I would advise you to watch it again and just look out for the touches to the scenery, the monsters and the way they fight etc. It's a film where the subtleties are its best point.

Lastly, The Wheel of Time is a HUGE story thing in which VERY FEW things (as opposed to none) happen and yet is very well written and has the best main good guy EVER! And, believe it or not, it does have an end in sight (its author said that it'll be something like 17 books long in total, or some such.)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Lastly, The Wheel of Time is a HUGE story thing in which VERY FEW things (as opposed to none) happen and yet is very well written and has the best main good guy EVER! And, believe it or not, it does have an end in sight (its author said that it'll be something like 17 books long in total, or some such.)!

The wheel to time? one of two books I never finished. Ok, very very few things happen, and yes he has wonderdful use of language, but what excuse is that for a hge story with no plot?

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Vilya

i must say manubabe that u are indeed very wrong about LOTR

i myself am a huge fan of LOTR and thought the film ROCKED ASS!!

however, they did cut a lot out of the book and throw in some new stuff like:

since when did tolkien describe Sauron as a big spiky demon?

what happened to Tom Bombadil?

how come the characters can travel instantaneously from town to town - one minute theyre in the shire ZAP theyre iN Bree ZAP theyre in Rivendell ZAP theyre in Lothlorien ZAP theyre in MOrdor

whats with the big telekinesis battle btween saruman and gandalf? that wasnt in the book!

Man U babe, u should read the Wheel of Time, its a damn class series of books! i agree that Harry Potter is enjoyable
    however it is more childishly enjoyable than LOTR. LOTR is epic and awesome whereas HArry Potter is just entertainment

Lord Of The Rings is Truly Great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Christine

Whoo! Go Wheel of Time! Especially the Far Snows bit... ahem.
    Anyway, yeah, Lord of the Rings is probably one of the best books ever. Don't give out about it or I will go to my room and sulk.

that's the thing - Wheel of Time does have a plot. just a long one that seems to go nowhere but actually does!

and rand is the best main character ever...

The magic battle may not have happened but it was the BEST MAGIC BATTLE SCENE EVER! So SHUT UP!

The producers announced they'd be cutting the tom bombadill part AGES ago so as to avoid being lynched by nerds.

I thought the big spiky armoured Sauron was groovy. If somehow not what i expected.

Has anyone else heard the rumour that Peter Jackson wants to do a WWI flick? The really wild rumours suggest a WW1 zombie film. Anyone who has seen BRAINDEAD would know that this would be A GOOD THING!!! So come, picket your local production studio until they agree to fund such an idiotic project and then rejoice in the goodness.

Oh yes!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Where did Bill Ferny go?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Nah i can't agree with this topic.

Very COOL Film!!
    i wont say it's better than the book or it does the book justice cause i ain't read them yet.

I thoroughly enjoyed it though.

i think i shalll submit and go and read the book - anyone have it and wanna lend it to me on saturday at the YSE

ohh and that telecenetic battle kkkkkikkked asss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Elvish

The movie was some of the most atmospheric pieces of cinematic entertainment that i have seen, EVER! It just had all the things in the right places, except for one thing which annoyed me. just after bree on top of weathertop when they were attacked by The Nine, the film showed Frodo to be a total wuss hiding behind a rock but in the book he stands there shouting Elvish at them until they stab him. And to Man U babe, put a bit of thought into your arguments, instead of just, "LOTR SUCKS". Talk about acting like a five year old!

-Rob

I must say, the score for that film was fantastic. Everyone should have it.

yeah - i think it has 2 sound tracks - must get my hands on them - preferably without paying for them

Two soundtracks? Well i guess thats what you get for making your film over three hours long :p I know Enya did the singing although i think Clannad might have done a better job.

As for things that bothered me about the movie - well, i could make a list.
    1) They took a 'the end justifies the means' approach to the first half of the movie! As in, they decided that they wanted it to be the same as the book by the time they got to Bree/Weathertop, scratched the story before that and came up with a totally new (and much less cool) story. I understand why they did this (an eight hour movie might have been a little too long) but it still bothers me, as a LOTR fanatic.
    2) They made out Sam to be Frodos best buddy, and that Merry and Pippin hardly knew him at all!
    3)Gimli was a bit too dwarfish. And on that note, they tried to keep the whole Moria storyline without giving any background on Moria.
    4) Saruman was a wuss! He didnt try to persuade Gandalf to join him for the better good, or anything, he was like some kind of zombie (eyes wide open, 'Join us or die' style behaviour). Also, Sarumans role was exaggerated, as was his allegiance to Sauron. Saruman had nothing to do with the snow on Caradhras, and he certainly didnt receive orders to create the Uruk Hai from Sauron!
    5) The romance bit in Rivendell was practically embarassing. It wasnt in the book, it shouldnt have been in the film. Leave that stuff to Titanic or something. On that note, Arwen's part was exaggerated and i wasnt impressed, tbh. It was decidedly unbecoming of an elvish maiden, daughter of Elrond, no less, to go riding off into the wild to look for Frodo, Strider et al.
    6) You only really notice it in the film, and maybe its because they took out a load of the non-action bits but left all the action bits, but the entire story to an untrained eye is: Run away from orcs, fight orcs, run away from orcs, fight orcs, etc... a couple of times they vary this theme by replacing 'orcs' with 'balrog' or 'ringwraith'.
    7) Finally, in the book, seventeen years passed between Bilbo leaving and Frodo leaving. In the film, it was about a week. Frodo hadnt even taken the ring out of it's envelope!

Taking all that into account, the movie was still great, and im looking forward to the next one. So the moral of the story is: dont obsess about things, youll only end up disappointed (or just bothered about how they screwed them up:))

A

Just two things

1. As far as I know, a lot of the parts that were cut from the movie were actually filmed and will be included in the DVD releases after the trilogy. They were cut out of the cinema release because of time constraints and to keep the movie PG (they severely edited the fight scenes for this purpose).
    2. For the trilogy, a lot of the Aragorn/Arwen stuff is from the Appendices in the Return of the King (says Peter Jackson). Although she certainly didn't ride out to save Bilbo in the book as Asuka has said...

"although i think Clannad might have done a better job"

clannad are pretty cool but they dont have that sort of epic feel that enya does

I dont agree - i think clannad have a very epic feel to their music, also a kind of sadness which would suit LOTR perfectly.

A

ive read about 100 pages of the first book and i see how different it is to the film

i have one question - how is it introduced in the book that pippin is going bit Frodo - i might have missed something but it seemed like he just turned up when frodo was leaving

ohh and i think that clanad would suit the book really well but enya suits what they decided to make the film be - more along the the lines of american "spectacular"

Pippin was there just as much as Merry - they were both good friends of Frodo (moreso than Sam, unlike the film made out).

A

• Advertisement

ahh yeah - ive read another 150 pages and I understand now - and I officially LOVE LOTR - in some of his other books Tolken really indulged, but he was more restrained in LOTR and made it less complex. it is a beautifuly told story. usually i get lost in fantasy books

Advertisement