Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble Playing Audio Cds, HELP?!

• 01-01-2002 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey,

i upgraded my computer a couple of months ago got new mb cpu and a new cheap sound card. A Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128.

Anyhew, it seem to work fine, plays all the audio cd's that are on my harddrive. I just got a lend of a cd and wanted to copy some songs but i can't even play them. There was a crappy creative player installed with the drivers and it detects the audio cd and tries to play it. It seems to play with no errors or anything coming up its just there is no sound coming to through the speakers.

I made winamp the default player for the cd-drive and it too seems to play it, but silence still and the ossiloscope thingy stays flatlined. I went to sound options and the properties of the sound card and made sure all the options were turned on.

Any ideas? Its just audio cd's that it doesn't seem to play. Also it can only seem to play one sound stream at a time, like say i had a video playing with sound and tried to open a music file at the same time it can only play one, while the other says the card is been in use.
    I just put this down to a cheap card but i still expected to be able to play a few different sounds at once? Is it just total crap?!

Thanks,
    Alo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

did u connect the cabe from the sound card to the cdrom drive and if u have 2 or more cd drives you can only have 1 that plays cds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah, its more than likely the audio connector cable that runs from the sound card to the CD-ROM drive.

its just a matter of reconnecting this small cable in the same way it was connected before you installed the new h/w.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

I too had this problem a while back ,wouldn't play audio CDs although the CDrom was connected to the sound card,
    Turned out I had to disable the onboard sound in the Bios before the new sound card would work

Macker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

mmm, ya i thought that was the answer with the cable connecting to the cd-rom, i forgot about it so it wasn't there at all!? duh.

I connected it up one to the cd-rom but there no direct connection to the sound card that i could see. So i connected it to the audio pins on the mother board, dunno if thats right or not. There is an inbuilt sound on the mb too, so i'm off now in a bit to see if i can disable that, don't remeber an option for it in the bios.

Should the audio connector cable be connected directly to the sound card?

<edit> Have just disabled the onboard sound chip. Still no luck</edit>

thanks,
    Alan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah,

it should be connected to your soundcard.

there should be a row of connectors (generally 3) somewhere on your soundcard that you can connect the Audio cable to. The cable connected to the CDROm should connect to one of these without any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Should the audio connector cable be connected directly to the sound card?

Not necessarily. I have onboard PnP Audio, so mine plugs straight into the motherboard. I had an old SoundBlaster 16 that the cable plugged straight into, but the last sound card I had dealt with before onboard, the cable plugged into the motherboard, so......if it fits, then yes it should. :)

hey its going fine now THANKS

had to do a ille bit of everything, disabled the on board one and connected to the card directly, live n learn :)

yay, off to listen to cd's now.

Cheers,
    Alo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If you want to play multiple sound streams on basic sound cards, you'll need to use applications that can output to DirectSound. Winamp can do this...CTRL-P/Plugins/Output/ and switch to DirectSound plugin (might be slightly different in the latest version of Winamp).

did that thing in winamp and had a music video runnin in quicktime player(nice kylie video) but got this error:

"could not create direct sound object"

ah t'isn't a big thing.

Alo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Hmm.... works for me here in work with QT 4.1.2, Winamp 2.65, DirectX 8.0 and an old Soundblaster 16.

• Advertisement
Advertisement