Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmon Kardon speakers from Bite

• 01-01-2002 2:05pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

Harmon Kardon ADA885 surround sound speakers:

I currently have a crappy set of speakers and subwoofer attached to my PC.
    I want to upgrade so as to actually use my soundcard to somewhere near full potential.

Does anyone know anything about the Harmon Kardon speakers that Bite are selling in their "special offer" section ?
    Any opinions ?
    Is this (€152.36) a good price ?
    How do they compare to the Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 5300 ?

http://www.bite-ltd.com/Online_Catalogue_SPECIAL_OFFERS___69.html

Mayhem, what should I expect to pay for shipping to Dublin ?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

As an addendum to my above post, these speakers are also known as Altec Lansing ADA885 (or ADA890).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

looks like a cracking set of speakers - the best proice for them Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 5300 is 138.45 EUR so this sounds like a good deal

rofl - are these more stuff u getting of dell and selling to Joe Soap - cheap - if so - WAN WAN :))))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd be interested to know how they compare to the Creative Inspire 5300 speakers too as I'm currently looking to buy a set of surround speakers.

The Inspire 5300 set has 5 x 6 watt sattelites and an 18 watt subwoofer, giving a total of 48 watts and the ADA885 surround sound speakers has 4 x 15 watt sattelites and a 60 watt subwoofer. So clearly it out guns the Inspire 5300 on power and the reviews I've read seem to be pretty positive about them.

I'm just interested in knowing if the quality of sound delivered id the same.

Oh, and StrataGIST, where is that €138.45 price for the Inspire 5300 set from?

• Advertisement

Mayhem,

As per my original post, any idea what the shipping charge to Dublin would be ?
    Is shipping a next day service ?

Shipping be somewhere around the 19 Euro mark.
    And it is a next day service in as far as that they will be delivered the next day after we receive payment...

Originally posted by leeroybrown

Oh, and StrataGIST, where is that €138.45 price for the Inspire 5300 set from?

http://www.watford.co.uk

the creative shop in shop popup thing has it - if ur getting them let us knoe - i hope to get s new set of speakers soon also

Are you working today, Mayhem ?
    I tried calling but just got an answering machine (I have a bit of an aversion to speaking with a machine).
    What is the best time to call ?

I was out on site this morning, give me a ring on my mobile (086/6056245) if you want to talk to a living person....

• Advertisement

watford.co.uk charge £35 for shipping to Ireland, so they're out of the question. I can get the Inspire 5300 set for about the €150 mark (maybe a tiny bit more) fully delivered anyway.

I like the Harmon Kardon set but the delivery pushes them over the €170 mark, so i'll have to have a think about it.

Mayhem#: Do you have the black ones in stock?

I only have the black ones in stock...

I like the Harmon Kardon set but the delivery pushes them over the €170 mark, so i'll have to have a think about it.

Which is not bad for speakers that are nearly double that at normal retail price..

Oh, i agree that they're a supreme bargain Mayhem#.

its just a matter of spending that much cash on speakers.

They're the front runners for my money anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ull need a special card to go with those 5.1 Creative speakers tho if ure getting them..

-ADREN-:

Yeah, i know that. But thanks for pointing it out anyway. I should have posted it up myself.

I'm at home for Xmas and not near my PC, but afaik my sound-card has a the required S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format) connector and I looked up some docs on line to check.

I'll be back up to my PC to check to make 100% sure in the next few days anyway.

watford.co.uk charge £35 for shipping to Ireland

but when u go the the checkout it only charges £5 for them speakers

Well if you can get away with £5 it sounds quite good but:

http://www.watford.co.uk/information/delivery.asp

A few pgphs down it does say flat rate £35 to Ireland.

Mayhem#:

Just wondering what you're stock of them is like. (That is do you see it running out soon)

If I do buy them, I have a friend who will be passing through Ennis and would be able to collect (And thus save me the shipping expenses). He might also be interested in a set of speakers and maybe one of those 19" Trinitrons.

I'm down to the last set of ADA885, after that the only other ones I have are the harmon Kardon 695's, very nice but a lot less power...
    As for the 19" monitors, they just got cheaper, see the thread elsewhere on this board.

• Advertisement

Mayhem,

I have just placed an order through the site, so make sure you hold onto them for me !
    Picked up my €hequebook today.
    Will post €heque tomorrow.

OK,

That's all ADA885's gone for now.
    I'm going down to my supplier next week so if you want some e-mail me and I will see if I can get my hands on some...

I'm definitely still interested in a set and I know one other person is too. I've emailed mayhem#'s address (given on bite-ltd homepage) and afaik my friend will also be e-mailing.

Hopefully Mayhem# can dig up a few more sets without a price increase.

Euro for Euro they deliver great power.

I'm definitely still interested in a set and I know one other person is too. I've emailed mayhem#'s address (given on bite-ltd homepage) and afaik my friend will also be e-mailing.

Mmm, didn't get any e-mail from you yet?!
    Could you send it again to: sales@bite-ltd.com ?
    If my supplier still has them the price should be the same.

And I've managed to secure another 40 of them, so order away....
    (they're on the site).

I've sorted myself out with a good deal on a Creative Inspire 5300 set in the meantime, but I will mention it to my friend that you have more in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

Hi guys

just to let you know...I got a pair of 885 last summer with my dell p4 1.7, & I can honestly say that they but most ihfi's to shame, they are the biz, the bass is brill (especially when playing rtcw) & the remote comes in very handy, trust me you won't be disapointed;)

Advertisement