Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geforce 2 gts ultra

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

by the way, most vdu's dont work at 40hz

they might have in the 1980's, but most vdu's (monitors) can work up to 100hz at 1024*768 nowadays

as for tv's, PAL tv's do 50hz interlaced (which means every second line on the tube gets updated per refresh, then next refresh the other lines get refreshed, then back to the first set, and so on)

the reason you get a flicker of vdu screens when you are taking a picture of them is because your video camera only updates at about 24 frames per second, so if your monitor/tv refresh rate is low enough, you end up missing a lot of frames.. because your video camera does not take each frame at the same time as the monitor refreshes it (obviously), they are not in sync.

tv's will flicker in video images the same as monitors, and the monitor will flicker a lot less, even in the video image, if its refresh rate is at 100hz as opposed to 60

one last message.. for Creed

you're right, my geforce isnt that much faster than the overclocked tnt2 in other games, its just like having a tnt2 running at 240mhz core and 180mhz memory, as i said before.. in some games it makes a difference over 165core and 180memory, in some it doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

So.... Your saying there are OTHER games besides Quake?

hahahahha 40 fps

this has happened before

ill just ask one thing, who told you that your eyes can only see up to 40 frames per second, and why did you believe them?
    im actually interested in this

i can tell the difference between 85hz monitor refresh rate in quake, and 120hz refresh rate.. EASILY
    and i think probably 75% of the population can as well, and the rest are either over 70 or blind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I heard that the geforce was two tnt2 chips and a t&l unit stuck together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I heard it was in fact the IC replicant of Elvis' left foot (the TNT2 was the right Ankle).

gerry(if that is your real name..),
    a geforce is 2 tnt2 chips stuck together with t&l and some minor tweaks, the tnt2 was a faster tnt1 with some tweaks, the tnt1 was 2 riva 128 chips stuck together with some enhancements, chip companies rarely design a new chip from scratch, they usually take old chips and shrink the die size (so they go faster), or put two or more of them together on the same die, or change the memory bus, or stuff like that, obviously with every new graphics card released they will put some tweaks in as well, eg. the tnt1 had a bug which caused poor image quality at 1024*768 res , the image wasnt as sharp as it should have been.. so they fixed that in tnt2.. etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Originally posted by sam:
    one last message.. for Creed

you're right, my geforce isnt that much faster than the overclocked tnt2 in other games, its just like having a tnt2 running at 240mhz core and 180mhz memory, as i said before.. in some games it makes a difference over 165core and 180memory, in some it doesnt.
    The geforce isn't that much faster than the overclocked tnt2 because of the memory limitations. The chip itself is a lot more powerful on the geforce which is why when they started using ddr ram, the geforce is so much faster. Same story with GTS and the GTS ultra.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 18-08-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

wow sam arent you glad you bought your geforce then? 4 riva 128 chips stuck together with a few enhancements eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Now just to be a stick in the mud smile.gif were those Riva 128 chips the vanilla or the ZX flavour?

• Advertisement

damn straight im glad i bought a geforce

i play on 1024*768 now in q3, instead of 800*600, and still get slightly higher fps so there

Advertisement