Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with SB128PCI can you give me any help?

• 21-08-2000 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, having a nasty little problem here. We are installing quite a few of these SB cards into some old P200MMX Systems running NT4 SP5 and the systems are hanging periodically. The Soundcard and the NIC are sharing a IRQ is this causing the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Gandalf.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Move the Network card to another slot, you cannot soft-allocate an IRQ to a PCI card. The BIOS has to do it, based on the card position.
    Some slots will be shared with AGP/USB so you might want to check your manual or just keep moving it until the IRQ is unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Its hard to say for sure Gand but its never good really when devices share IRQ's. I would recomend trying to assign a seperate IRQ for each. If theres none free then disable serial/parallel/usb in the bios if there not being used. This should free up some IRQ's and then try and assign them seperate ones. Other than that maybe if you pray to Alla the problem might go away smile.gif

Jimmy...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

check first if you can just allot specific irqs for pci cards in the bios, my motherboard lets me select what irq etc is used with which slot. (aopen ax6bc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

True, some boards let you select the IRQ, the important things is (as you said) it's on a SLOT basis, not card. If the slot the card is in is shared with another slot/device, changing the IRQ in the BIOS will change it for both devices. You won't remove the share that way.

Advertisement