Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a warning/FYI

Options
  • 01-01-2002 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

I stopped into the texaco on the N4 just before the foxhunter there this afternoon to get me some breakfast (was a long night :)). There was cars everywhere. I go up to the door, only to be told be some scared looking youngfella that they won't accept punts inside, that you must first change your money to euros in the nice 'Euro exchange truck' outside. The queue at the truck was about 25-30 people and inside the shop another 15 or so (this is probably the busiest garage in the whole country). So rather than protest, I left.

SO just in case any of you don't know, this kind of practice is illegal. It's ok to request people to change their money first, but if they refuse, the shop/pub MUST accept their punts as full or part payment until the 9th of February, no matter how much the shop insists otherwise. I would have insisted myself, except for the aforementioned queues, the no doubt braindead counter attendant that would have had a brain haemorrage at the sight of my 5 punt note, and my growing hangover. So just beware :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

This is happening all over the place.

My own friggin work canteen wouldn't accept punts this morning, and had a little euro exchange desk setup .. so of course I stormed out in protest myself rather than queue up for 30 mins with all the other punters.

Also heard some pubs are pulling the same stunt. Will not accept punts, but will convert if you queue.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

whats this 9th of feb stuff, orginaly it was 6 months, and on my handout from the gpo it says the 26th of feb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

the 9 th of Feb is the last day that Punt (sniff :confused::confused: ) will be accpected as legal tender in the shops. you have another week or so to get all your punts lodged with the bank before it becomes non legal tender.

Dont worry about it Boston you will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah 1st July was the original date set out for the removal. Then someone decided that it would be no bother to have all Irish coins gone by the 26th of Feb. Then some even brighter individual thought we'd have no problem going to packed banks and frantically making sure we get rid of all the coins because we only get 40 days to clear out the old :rolleyes: Who voted this poxy Government? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

but don't worry you can exchange irish at the central bank forever and ever amen if you want to - a bit of a hassle but @ least if you find a grand under the matress in august you wont have to panic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

What a bi*ch, went to the shop today only to find a long queue at the "punt to euro conversion desk" and absolutely no queues at the payouts, which of course were only accepting Euro coins... :mad:

Instead of queueing for half an hour i left and went to the nice little newsagent down the road thats too small for a euro conversion desk or any of that s***e :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Illegal, eh? ... No, it isn't.

The Director of Consumer Affairs said yesterday that the authorities would have absolutely no problem with shops and pubs NOT taking Irish cash at the counter if they are also operating an exchange system.

However they WILL have a problem with outlets who flat-out refuse to take either currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Actually last night I was heading out to the cinema, and when I got to my local Omniplex I was told I would have to queue to get my punts converted. That was fine, but they would only convert a maximum of £10 per customer. That was crap, coz I only had a £50 note. So I then had to trod across to McDonalds and purchase a Big Mac. At least there, the the cute looking reg girl, asked if I wished to pay in Punts or Euros. She had no problems with me handing in a £50, and she then proceeded to give me my Euro equivalent change.

Now from that story I have learned that, if you have Irish money in your pocket there is going to be problems. There shouldn't be problems, but there is, and that's that. Whinging is not going to solve anything. So I recommend what everyone does, is go to the banks and convert every last penny you have immediately. If you try and get you money converted by paying for goods/services, you will only be delayed/annoyed.

Being realistic, we have just accepted a new currency, and while there are two legal tenders in this country, there will be problems. "Out with the old, and in with the new", I say ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Bard
    However they WILL have a problem with outlets who flat-out refuse to take either currency.

they will barter then or go out of business. :)
    "ill give you this fine turnip for that mars bar"

supermarkets could have made it easy on the public though and have made available at least a few cash registers in their place punt operated (change given out in euros) and the rest euro operated.

if it's one thing people hate it be the queues. :)

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Well they had the same thing at the canteen where I work but if something was less than a cent say .5 or .6 they were rounding it down.

as complaining wasnt working then I decided to annoy them for the rest of the day converting 2ps and 5ps to euros. every half hour or so till the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭helen_br

Originally posted by adnans
    they will barter then or go out of business. :)
    adnans
    Let me guess, the price tag is not an official price tag at all but simply an 'invitation to treat' is it? Someone said that a couple of weeks ago, but I don't believe it. Trades description is quite rigorous.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by helen_br
    Let me guess, the price tag is not an official price tag at all but simply an 'invitation to treat' is it? Someone said that a couple of weeks ago, but I don't believe it. Trades description is quite rigorous.

Whay are you dragging up threads that are 16 months old?

Read http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79725

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭helen_br

Originally posted by Victor
    Whay are you dragging up threads that are 16 months old?
    Oh sorry, I didn't see the date <g> - it just came up as the result of a search term I entered and I assumed it was recent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I was wondering wtf this was all about. Won't accept punts lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

OOh nobody likes when you remind them of what they said a along time ago...
    oldposts.jpg

Advertisement