Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAQs

• 01-01-2002 7:31pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, this isn't something I've put a huge amount of thought into, but I think it might be a useful idea, so here goes.

Many questions tend to come up frequently on the boards that have been covered reasonably well previously in one or more threads on that board. A moderator could assemble a FAQ type thing by posting links to those threads under the relevant questions in a post kept high by being marked 'sticky'. Could save time for anyone asking a question to get the information, people may find reading the older threads interesting, perhaps other advantages or disadvantages that I hadn't considered. It could even be done on a board by board basis depending on the judgement and time available from the respective moderators. I will probably try this out on the security board in a bit when I get a little bit of time to spare.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

well this must be my first encounter with an X-Man

what is it ? who dya get it ? who are u ?

and ur idea is good, as most ppl are too lazy / or just dont cop the FAQ thats there already.

or have a forum dedicated to it, something like BOARDSHELP or somat.

ecksor puzzles me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Or even one called eh, I dunno "Newbie FAQ" which could be put in the... Admin group!

(Suggestion to Cloud/Admins, make the FAQ button a different colour or otherwise make it stand out and link it to the Newbie FAQ board and within that have a sticky to the vB FAQ.)

BTW. ecksor is an Admin type what does stop teh hackers from changing the front page of boards to ****.

I think. He actually may well be an actual real-life X-man, with supa powas and big sharp claws and teh pointy ears.

Yes.

Nurse? time for teh pills methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Boards.ie needs a news/information page (frontend?) with article area's like FAQ's, so if they make announcements or what-ever, people go to the news page first for information.

Ecksor baby - dammit, I have to get that book to you!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I do have special powers, but I only use them for good. Unless you phuck with me!

Anyway, there is the newbie faq, but that's not quite what I'm thinking of. The newbie faq seems to be more oriented towards people who are new to boards, rather than someone who might be a boards regular but might not read a particular board often, or may be wondering if a certain topic has been raised a few times. One typical case I'm thinking of is Seamus' post about lisp on the programming board the other day.

I wasn't phucking with you man! I was commenting on Gone Shootin's BOARDSHELP idea. please don't h@x0r meh!

• Advertisement

Aha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

being the latest guilty party, I heartily endorse this product and/or service :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I missed the circumstances, but ive been meaning to ask - When and why did you become Ecksor and throw off your mild mannered journalist disguise of X-OR?

The underscore character on my keyboard is broken.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

This is something I've been meaning to do for the film board for a while...I'll get off my lazy arse and actually do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by ecksor
    The underscore character on my keyboard is broken.

lol
    buy a new one!

I dunno, I've already had the expense of fixing my caps-lock key.

L33t tip: don't type with a hammer.

amp - who actually use to type with a hammer until he got RSI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

bloody hell, this is the most postage ive ever seen out of ecksor, wan:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by amp
    Or even one called eh, I dunno "Newbie FAQ" which could be put in the... Admin group!

I dunno a whole FAQ just for newbies? It sounds kinda far fetched to me!:)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

...But would I be right in saying that this is the board used mainly to ask the admins / moderators the questions they need to know!?

It would still be nice to see a FAQ thrown in somewhere (After all it would lift a little tension off the backs of the admins, Depending on wether the new members are patient enough to actually bother using one if it was made for them)

The Newbie Faq is a work in progress, probably always will be. Nobody will ever have all the answers, or the questions for that matter, much like life really.

and now I must rest.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is the best idea _ever_

I don't know what we'd do without X_OR

Advertisement