Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chipper in Ireland

• 01-01-2002 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Lennoxs, Bandon Road Cork. Amazing chips, fish is something divine.

KCs in Cork have nice food too and their pita dishes are really nice, but Lennoxs wins by a mile.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I've been a vegetarian for about the last 8 years so I dont eat in Chippers too much but from memory...

The best in Chips in Dublin are in Burdocks- either Christchurch or Rathmines. I'd say alot of others would vouch for that. I also remember Angelos on Wexford St.- used to go there for lunch when I was in School- I think their claim to fame was that you could bring your own bread and make a "Chip Butty":D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Christchurch, the original and the best.

Cannot comment on the "franchise" shop in Rathmines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yeah, the Curry Chips in Lennox's are amazing! Wowsah. As for Dublin, I mean, it's a dumb thread but my prize has to go to Luigi's in Ranelagh (closely followed by Macari's in Dundrum). Burdock's, especially the one in Rathmines, is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Jackie Lennox's, Bandon Road, Cork.

Not to be confused with: C.F. Lennox's, Tory Top Hill, Cork. Same food, older oil. yuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭dragonkin

Fords in Limerick.

Loads of grease, salt , potatoes and ugly women
    what more do you want from a chipper?

DK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

That the Lennox's near College Road and Barrack Street? Near enough to Cissie Young's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Yeah Bandon Rd Lennoxs is the one near Cissys, the other one in Ballyphehane (sp) is a cousins place, like the franchised one in Anglesea Street and Carrigaline.

The one in the hane isn't the same standard at all. The staff are woeful too.

By the way 80p I know loads of vegetarians that go to chippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Leo Burdocks in Dublin, near some noisy church that always has it's damn bells clanging.

Voted best chipper in Ireland, by who though, I dunno.

Chips are very very nice, big chunky ones smothered in vineg,mn.. *drool*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    Macari's in Dundrum. Burdock's is overrated.

Yes and yes

:)
    Oh and Apriles in Stillorgan. Loved getting lunch there when i was a wee lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Kiely's Fish & Chips on Mailor Street, accross the way from Smyths in Cork is the nicest.
    Lennox's and KC's chips are nice aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Burdocks is unbelievably overrated, not great at all. Jumbo in Stillorgan is quality.

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    By the way 80p I know loads of vegetarians that go to chippers.

Most of the chippers I know cook all the food (ie- chips, fish & Batter Burgers etc.) in the same oil, which obviously means that the I'm eating animal fat with my chips!

I'm not complaining or anything, I just accept this is the way they do it- but If anyone knows any good chippers who are Vegetarian friendly let me know and I might pay them a visit:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I can't say I like Burdocks much at all.

I have yet to find a better burger than the American Burger made in Macaris dundrum. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Cafe Caira in Howth... great chip and one of the few chippies that take some pride in their fish.... just try the cod. Probably my fav chippie for a sit down cod n'chips and coffee....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

the closure of mitchelstowns best chipper generated this response from the local news rag :

UPTOWN BAR-B-Q CLOSES AFTER 40 YEARS

After forty years of frying fish and battering burgers, husband and wife team Patricia and Pakie Myles have shut the doors to their Uptown Barbque at Church Street, Mitchelstown.

As one of the first and oldest chip shops in Mitchelstown, the uptown grill has become somewhat of an institution. Serving up only the finest fried food to the weary worker or clubber on their way home, the familiar and friendly faces of Pakie and Patricia will undoubtedly be missed by all their customers.

Looking forward to their retirement, Patricia and Pakie say they will miss the daily banter and laughter with customers, which for the past forty years, has been an important feature of their business.

"It's going to be very strange going from six nights behind the counter to complete retirement. We'll really miss the chat and craic that was part and parcel of the business. We've seen children come in for sausages and chips who are now married and bringing in their own children. It's been fantastic and we would like to thank all our customers, neighbours and friends for their support down through the years," says Patricia.

http://www.avondhupress.ie/news.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Lennoxs Bandon road win hands down. zicos in turners cross cork would be second.
    KCs in douglas is terrible imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Originally posted by Vexorg
    Cafe Caira in Howth... great chip and one of the few chippies that take some pride in their fish.... just try the cod. Probably my fav chippie for a sit down cod n'chips and coffee....

have to agree with you there
    had the 1/2 pounder in there last night after a few scoops and chips
    lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Cafe Caira has its good and its bad points. The good points is that its food is great! And its a nice cafe to sit in. Thier ice cream in the summer rocks!

Their service however sucks. There was this waitor type chap, I think his name was Lorenzo but he was hopeless. He managed to trip over twice and spill coke all over the lady sitting at the table next to us. He reminded me of Manwell from Faulty Towers. "I knowa nothin"

Shame really, he let the whole place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

My God, what's the World coming to. I joined this Forum for a bit of intellectual banter, but such is life. The best Chipper is by far the Macari in Clondalkin. The chips are like Burdochs and the fish is delivered straight from Howth Head. The Italian chick serving is a dream aswell, always wears low cut tops and as she hands you your food she asks 'Would you like anything else Sir?'....Well I never..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

has to be Burdocks... I can tell some of you haven't eaten there before. A little greasy for me to eat there too often but still mucho tasty (the fact I live close by has nothing to do with it either :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

2 of my brothers and 1 sister have been to all 3 of the "best chippers", KC's and Lennox's in cork, and also the one at Christchurch in dublin, and they all agree that the dublin one is the best. (and thats coming from cork people)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by superfly

have to agree with you there
    had the 1/2 pounder in there last night after a few scoops and chips
    lovely

Spot on ye baya....cafe caire is marvelloush!! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by bubbles
    Cafe Caira has its good and its bad points. The good points is that its food is great! And its a nice cafe to sit in. Thier ice cream in the summer rocks!

Their service however sucks. There was this waitor type chap, I think his name was Lorenzo but he was hopeless. He managed to trip over twice and spill coke all over the lady sitting at the table next to us. He reminded me of Manwell from Faulty Towers. "I knowa nothin"

Shame really, he let the whole place down.

Har Har, as you know Lorenzo is a good friend of mine and he told me that you were the one who tripped him up that time when he was bringing out your double jumbo batter burger and knickerbocker glory. You B@stard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,450 ✭✭✭✭Victor

/me isn't allowd chips anymore.

But how about those great grease merchants the Embassy Grill in Ballsbridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

has to be the seashell, somewhere off pearse st. near the liffey.

mmgh, lovely.

shame it's closing pretty soon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Talideon

I virtually lived there when I was living near CIT. I think I would have starved to death without it. A man cannot live on just weetabix alone, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Caffolas in Castlebar is quality for chips and assorted battered food stuffs.

I advise all to sample the Goujon Box.
    Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Originally posted by 80project
    Angelos on Wexford St.- used to go there for lunch when I was in School- I think their claim to fame was that you could bring your own bread and make a "Chip Butty":D

Ah well I remember that - you must be a Synge Street head then...

No...

I went to CUS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

chips are bad for you

Advertisement