Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mitchelstown.net

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well the M in Mitchelstown took a while to pop up so it was itchelstown for a couple of seconds, the icons on the middle of the page are a bit cliparty (Pubs one didn't come up till I clicked it, probably me browser) but the rest of the design I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

caeser himself speaks ;)

yes those clipart things have been mentioned to be b4, what would you recommend ?

best place to get decent lookin images, for free of course, or should i look at another method ?

ta amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

I like it.

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    caeser himself speaks ;)

Hardly, more like a Praetorian ;)

yes those clipart things have been mentioned to be b4, what would you recommend ?

best place to get decent lookin images, for free of course, or should i look at another method ?

Dunno, free images my always look out of place as they won't have been designed with the rest of the site in mind. Possibly using thumbnailed photo's of the places themselves. Like a the front of a pub for pubs with a border around it which matches the menu buttons?

ta amp

np

Possibly using thumbnailed photo's of the places themselves. Like a the front of a pub for pubs with a border around it which matches the menu buttons?

!!

your cheque is in the post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

looks good. I would remove the "Happy New Year" banner though - looks fairly unprofessional. Would also change the font for the big M in Mitchelstown.
    Apart from that, "thumbs up"

-jayo

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Quite a nice site, well done Gone Shootin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Yeah, actually, on 2nd thoughts, that M is annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

its good very compact and neat

BUT PLEASE GET RID OF THAT NO RIGHT CLICK. Honestly its the most annoying thing to get on a webpage, maybe its just me but i like to be able to open links in a new window if i want.
    I got a **** load of other stuff in my right click too that i use. And it serves no real purpose, anyone who wants to get your images can get them through the sourse or even just normal left click and drag them off screen. So what i'm sayin is, that right click restriction is pointless and annoying, anyone who'd use them in a webpage is well capable of getting them if they want. :(

sorry just hate when people do that.

well i must say im blushing from all the encouraging signs :)

that M is GONE, and will be noticed when the next update happens, after i enact amps idea to see how it floats ;)

the no right click has caut me off alot of times, on my own site ! sheesh

but but but, its a power trip, muhhahahaha

seriously tho all of the links in their respective categories open in new windows.

and all of the sites listed, I MADE THEM ALL !! IM RICH !!

thanks for the comments, recognician from my peers,aaahhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Main Page:
    1. The page is way too busy. It's three-column - could easily be made two. You've got 4 animated items on the page - where is my attention supposed to be focused?

2. Having two sets of links to the same pages within a couple of inches of each other on screen makes no sense. I'd keep the side navigation and lose those ugly and unsuitable icons that you've got in the centre of the page. Why would you want links to jump out at people when they hit your site? The idea of a webpage is to give information; the page has some content on it - why not make it the prominent item on the page?

3. Your "Happy New Year" banner is aliased and doesn't look at all good.

4. I'd use a graphic for the "Mitchelstown.Net" at the top of the page rather than the text.

5. How come you use Arial for you links under "Free Services". I think it'd be better if your links were consistent.

6. You could look at doing something more creative with the screenshots you've got. While you're not going to be able to make out anything in the shot of course, you might be able to make it more obvious that they are screen shots.

7. How about no hit counter, old or new?

8. Your background disappears horizontally at about 1200 pixels.

9. Dunno if you've considered it, but I find Georgia is a nicer on-screen serif face than Times.

10. Your no-right-click Javascript can be foiled by left-clicking, then right-clicking while still holding down the left, releasing the left and then the right. It's bloody annoying. Why do you feel you should be able to fúck around with the usability of other peoples software? What purpose is it supposed to serve? All the functions are still accessable from regular menus.

11. It's recommended that for accessability purposes (people with sight-disabilities for example) you use an alt tag for every image, with irrelevant images tagged with alt="".

12. Your font tags seem messy (and deprecated BTW). CSS is the way to go.

13. Your background and link colours are not web-safe. That's your call, but there are still a lot of users out there running 256 colour mode.

14. You've got the Mitchelstown.Net 2002 logo whathaveyou linked to index.html, but only apparently on index.html. It's not a link on your other pages!?

General:
    1. The animations are very annoying and distracting.

2. For your banners anti-alias your text. They'll look a lot better.

3. It's cool that you've actually got content in the sections (bar Sport), but maybe you should preface each with a paragraph of introductory text. There's just something lacking about the listings.

4. You've got a decent amount of copy in your Towns section but it would be more readable if you broke it up a little. Try adding some headings as they seem relevant.

HTH,
    -Ross

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well the M in Mitchelstown took a while to pop up so it was itchelstown for a couple of seconds

You mean you've never been in Itchelstown amp? Gor, you haven't lived!

adam

*sniff*, and it was all going so well until beaver came along and broke my wsywig heart.....

WYSIWYG? Down with that sort of thing!

i was kidding, as i knew the response would be such

nehoo thanks for the reply beaver, ill learn from it for my future projects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

The only WYSIWYG I would touch is with Dreamweaver 4. But even at that I only let it handle the bare minimum. Coz after a few mins of WYSIWYG editing, you can start counting all the redundant tags ;)

It's at that point in time you revert back from expensive (Dreamweaver) to free (Notepad) software.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

You should definatly link to here

Nice site btw ;)

Notepad isn't free.

Itchelstown - nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Advertisement