Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leased Lines faq

Options
  • 02-01-2002 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Here's a few questions. Im thinking about getting myself a nice 64k Leased Line so I have unlimited uncapped access.

1. Who provides them in Ireland?
    2. How much are they (estimate for 64k)?
    3. Are they reliable?
    4. Do I need loads of equipment (i.e. router....)?
    5. Can I get them for my house?
    6. Can I think of anymore questions to ask?

If anyone can answer any of theese questions it'd be great =).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

1. Eircom and Esat for the line itself - any ISP will provide you with a port - cheapest one I've found so far is Vianetworks.

2. Dunno about 64k, 2Mb is the standard these days. A 2Mb loop is about €10,000 pa (depends on the distance though) and a 2Mb port charge is €10,000 - €38,000. So I'd guess a 64k port is €500?

3. Yes

4. You need a router, the spec of which depends on the line itself a Cisco 1601 is pretty standard these days but you'd get away with a cheaper one for 64k. If you want to share the line with a number of PCs, you'll need a switch/hub.

5. Yes, but you'll have to pay for it. Installation is usually €3,800 for the loop.

6. Loads:
    I haven't got a bogs how to configure a router will I have to pay extra for that? Probably
    How long does it take? A month if your lucky
    Where do I get IP addresses from? RIPE
    Are they free....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Evil Al

You need to look at three components:

1) Your ISP. Pick one based on price & quality (ask people you know who already have one in work).

2) The local loop, which connects you to your ISP's POP. This can be with any number of carriers (Eircom, ESAT, NTL, WorldCom, and Colt spring to mind, depending on your physical location). It's usually easiest to ask your ISP to deal with this. In fact, most ISPs will suggest/insist that they order and manage the local loop, and offer you a bundle price that includes the connectivity and the local loop. Telcos who also have ISP arms sometimes offer a further discount if you buy both connectivity and local loop from them, although of course Eircom would never do this since it's cross-subsidization ;-)

3) The router. You can either buy your own or ask your ISP to provide and manage it for you. If you're not sure about configuring a router, go for the latter option. Usually this will be a monthly charge rather than a once-off purchase, and you won't own the router. Either way, don't even think of using anything other than a Cisco unless you really know what you're doing. Common models for a low-speed leased line are an 800 series or a 1700 series.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man

How long does it take? A month if your lucky

I've seen anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months, generally adverages out at about 6 weeks.

Where do I get IP addresses from? RIPE

You would rarely need PI addresses, the ISP will assign you somthing like a /28

Are they free....

Yes!

Advertisement