Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gnutella

• 02-01-2002 12:59am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

Thinking about this, but I'm a little bit nervous about giving other folks access to some of my hard disk.

Should I be ?

Anyone out there use gnutella and can tell me a little bit about it (real world) ?

The client I was looking at is:

http://www.gnotella.com/

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya should get MORPHEUS, way better, that not answering your question, but who'd be bothered wanderin your computer?! got some top secret stuff? :)
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Yes, I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Your just as safe using those file sharing programs as you are browsing the internet. There are other networks as well as the gnotella. If your gonna download just songs your better off not using the gnotella network. Try using Kazaa, or morphious, they have much better support for resuming file downloads and also have much better method of downloading files for people with broadband connections. They can download a file from multiple different locations at the same time.

I recommend you do what I do. Have a gnotella client, i personally think that bearshare is the best, and kazaa. Use both, see which is better for the file you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Slightly off topic, but in the same general theme.

Is there any good linux apps for general purpose file-sharing that uses a well known port? (eg. KaZaa is not suitable as it needs access to an non-standard port. - Something along the lines of Audiogalaxy(which uses the ftp port) but supporting other file types would be ideal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

You can use limewire. It runs on the Gnutella network. It has a linux version.

http://www.limewire.com/index.jsp/download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Slightly off topic, but in the same general theme.

Is there any good linux apps for general purpose file-sharing that uses a well known port? (eg. KaZaa is not suitable as it needs access to an non-standard port. - Something along the lines of Audiogalaxy(which uses the ftp port) but supporting other file types would be ideal)
    gtk-gnutella?

Advertisement