Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and real good news

• 20-07-2000 5:05pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yas won't believe this!!!

Genesis Europe are releasing their broadband Internet services on Nov 1st, thats official not a rumour smile.gif

And get this 12.50 a month FLAT rate 24/7 with NO limits on downloads!

I rang them today and they confirmed all this with me and their sending me out an 'information pack' and application form tho she said their being printed ATM so it'll be a couple of weeks before we get them. She said on the phone that theres no extra hardware needed and that you just use your normal modem and phone line but get mucho higher speeds, I can't see this being correct but who cares! I asked like 'how the hell can you get the supposed 45mbits/s down a normal modem with no additional hardware' and she went off..came back and said 'sorry we're not allowed to divulge that information'. I know it's all this patented stuff they have sole rights to in Europe so it's not like you can't get the info on it over the net anyway but who cares it's all good news for us isn't it!

Their number is 1800 436 3747

Blade

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 20-07-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey Lars,

I'm a complete newbie in this area (broadband/adsl/isdn) so forgive the stupid questions...

Ok, leaving aside the technical aspects of getting 45MBits or whatever off a modem (could she possibly have meant your NIC?), do we not require physical wires like cablenet, etc? Have you got a url? How can this possibly be as good as it sounds? smile.gif

I think I need to get that info pack!

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

I'll believe it when I see it. The PSTN just can't handle that sort of bandwidth. Not without some MAJOR new technologies, or by breaking the laws of physics.

However, for those who want more details, heres a few links from the linux.ie dicussion boards... http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/cork/2000-February/000769.html

Looks interesting to say the least.

[This message has been edited by Jazz (edited 20-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

this guy recieved is pack thing:
    http://www.jmason.org/pipermail/iiu/2000-March/000026.html

don't expect much information here though: http://www.genesiseurope.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

sign me the hell up!

I don't beleive a word of that connection speed stuff but ESAT are taking the **** with 24 a month for off-peak access.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Found this interesting post, as it turns out it's basically VDSL which works just like ADSL and equally requires access to the local loop which Eircom don't have to allow access to until April 2001 although thats being appealed ATM. Now either Genesis are in bed with Eircom or their completely full of $hit!.......

Subject: [IIU] Genesis' technology == VDSL

>
    >If you ring them up and ask them enough, they'll refer you to a "technology
    >called VDSL" (their words).
    > If you go to google, they'll refer you to
    >http://www.adsl.com/vdsl_faq.html
    >and
    >http://www.adsl.com/vdsl_tutorial.html

Interesting Stuff, but it just isn't going to happen in Ireland by
    November, 45Mps is still a very optimistic speed, even for VSDL.

VSDL isn't even standardized yet and there is no sign of VSDL hardware
    being manufactured in the kinds of quantities needed to roll out VSDL
    across the country.

VSDL instillation absolutely requires access to Eircom's exchanges to
    install the head end equipment, (ASDL & DSL also require Exchange access to
    install.) I have not heard of any arrangements in place for this yet,
    although local loop unbundling is on the way, it isn't here yet and there
    are no pricing details (how much Eircom are going to charge the other telco
    for exchange access and rental of space in the exchanges.)

How on earth do they propose to provide VSDL for £12.50 + VAT a month. ASDL
    which is currently on trial in the UK is going to be roughly £60 sterling a
    month. DSL which is in use in the US is roughly $40-60 Per month. My ISDN
    account with eircom.net is costing me £20 per month.

Maximum range from the exchange is ~4500 feet of wire, ISDN and ASDL will
    work at up to 19000 Feet of wire without too many problems, ISDN can also
    be repeated to extend range.

The very expensive (£35+VAT per Month for 36Months (£1524)) Celeron 466
    with 32 Mb ram comes with a 56 K modem, No mention of VSDL hardware anywhere

The telephone Service that they are offering does not seem to be registered
    with the ODTR (isn't this a requirement for any telecomms operator doing
    business here?) www.odtr.ie

Why are they sending out Direct debit mandates for a service that isn't
    currently available?

The web site isn't very informative http://www.genesiseurope.net/

I have been trying to get someone from genesis to answer my questions for 2
    weeks now, they don't return calls.

I still suspect that all is not as it appears with genesis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I got the Genesis info pack in April and it was notable for its direct debit form and invitation to handle all my calls through Genesis.

You cannot push or pull 45 MBps through a standard modem or standard wiring.

Genesis are not planning to lay fibre around Ireland, so that means they need access to the local loop--which is still bundled for exclusive Eircom use.

If you want things like Genesis speed, chat up a candidate in the run-up to the next election and make Local Loop Unbundling a real issue.

Whenever I do my Napster thing, I'm hit by Yanks on cable to their homes. I know guys in the San Diego area that get measureable throughput (up and down speeds) at 2 MBps. That's good enough for me and that's what I'd expect Genesis to provide punters on the street.

I've chatted to people on the Napster chat client and they're paying between USD 25 and USD 45 monthly for the connection. If Genesis would cost IRP 500 annually for an Irish subscription, it would reduce my total annual phone charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

heres the thing that I can't get.. a 56k modem at best can get a 5.4k dl speed, they arre made to work at these speeds not 45mb. thats a load of crap. there's to much data going down then!!!!!

I think there full of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You have to love that website consisting entirely of one huge animated gif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Skeptic

"Europe's fastest and most advanced ISP" is printing new information packs? They must be a new thing. Do you need any special equipment to view these "information packs". I have an old fashioned web browser so all I could see was a crappy animation. Must be using the new "paper" technology.

Even if it can have those transfer speeds (it won't) you'll just be slowed down by the time it takes to route the data across the Internet.

• Advertisement

Went looking for an information pack today : "there's none available at the moment as they are printing new ones. I'll enter you into our database and we'll send you out one as soon as they become available."

I read an interesting article in that magazine I read in the NCT centre (PC Format?). In the UK they estimate every customer an ISP can sign up is worth £2800 to them annually. This is why some people are offering free conection (totally free) over there and there's even talk of free PCs (again). Maybe this is how Genesis propose to lower the cost to the customer. 24/7 unlimted high-speed access should be worth even more than dial-up only in the evenings slow as hell access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasnt Genesis Europe revealed to be a big scam several months back?

/me remembers EU Digital..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Skeptic

They were discussed in the IIU mailing list a few months ago and the general consensus seemed to be that they were a scam. What annoys me is the way they were able to use the newspapers for free publicity without being checked out. Reminds me of BT's "Soul Catcher" of a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Originally posted by Skeptic:
    They were discussed in the IIU mailing list a few months ago and the general consensus seemed to be that they were a scam.

The fact that they have a half-page advertorial in the Turbine today can only contribute to the fair and unbiased coverage of the **** that they're spouting. I'll believe it when I see it.

On the other hand, ntl: assure me that they'll have some kinda cable modem offering in late September, they've already got fibre out to 500 POPs.

yeah - but what are ntl charging? I'd be happy to sign up to ntl right now if the price was right. I havn't been able to worm a comminment on price out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Bucon

Just some info i found out...

"We are not going to tell anyone how much international bandwidth we have available. But suffice to say it is significantly higer than any other Irish ISP can offer. And more to the point, the user bandwidth ratio is very favourable. Though having said that, a standard consumer account will not have 45Mbit/s on to the actual internet. It will be restricted to about 1 Mbit/s, this figure has yet to be finalised.

Everyone will be getting a real public IP address. They will not be static. Certain commercial packages that will be available will offer more IP addresses (/29 and up).
    It is a DS-3 connection, which is full duplex...DS3 aka T3.

We expect to be starting beta tests in October. But I'm afraid we reached our quota for testers a lonng time ago smile.gif But thank you for the kind offer"

Was pasted that from a reply to an email a guy i know recieved from GenesisEurope.

Bucon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

Seemingly a mail along those lines was sent to the 1500 or so people who actually paid the 50quid initial sign up fee.

Rumours I've heard re. Genesis Europe say that 45Mb/s was impossible, 1Mb/s probably won't happen, oh and seemingly they're sooo far behind schedule and so understaffed it's not funny frown.gif

Also, no actual access to eircoms exchanges until local loop unbundling, the fact that the odtr, to the best of my knowledge, don't know they're gonna be offering telecoms/data services because genesis haven't talked to them, and the dire quality of the packs they sent out all make me suspicious.

Still, having said that, even 56kbps 24/7 with fixed ip and being able to use your phone at the same time would be sweeet smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

but 24hr access for 12.50 a month at 45k
    might be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

modem speeds, 8 quid cheaper than esat, 24 hours a day and a fixed ip. hmmm.

i cant even see them doing that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Just copped what Genesys are talking about....new v.92 modem standard supports constant *45* kbps, and ,coincidently , geni****s are offering *45* mbps.......sure what's a misprint between friends.chancers.

lph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Hmmmm, if they can send full quality movies across your phoneline I dont see why they cant get at least 1mbit\sec.

Snaga

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

fixed ip on a modem, yeah right, they would have to buy one modem for every customer then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hasn't this whole Genesis Europe thing already been exposed as being utter bòolox?

[+_+] <--- omg!! it's a lego man!!!™

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Yeah, anything Blade says usually is.

He's like that spanished waiter chap in Faulty Towers. "I'a Knowa nothing"

smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Its not utter bóllóx cos a guy in my year in college now works for them. He couldnt tell me anything juicy of course but their nov 1st date is supposedly still a go.(whether it happens or not is another matter)

btw had a look at vdsl http://www.adsl.com/vdsl_tutorial.html

Looks interesting once you live close to a local exchange.

Snaga

[This message has been edited by Snaga (edited 22-08-2000).]

Advertisement