Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter

Options
  • 02-01-2002 3:00pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dunno if this has been discussed to death but my sister (bless her) bought me the Harry Potter books over the xmas, and I was bored so I read one... in 48 hours!

They are kinda goofy but cool... fun to read with enough wit and humour to keep you turning the pages. The breadth of imagination is pretty impressive too!

If you are considering buying the first one and are waivering, I can tell you I thoroughly enjoyed it!

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I have to say that I read the first one and was very disappointed considering how much people go on about it - but maybe that's just because it's not my usual kind of book . I can see how some people like it though - i mean most of my friends adore all the books so im probably just missing something :) I work in a bookshop and everyone young and old buys them by the bucketful so they must be some good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I read the first two but didn't like 'em (I read the second to be sure it was all hype). I can see why people like them, as they are well written but they're just too childish IMO. I mean -
    he just finds a sword and magically (no pun intended) knows how to use it, and kills the snake first time

What's the quote? "...when I became a man I gave up childish things."?

It'd be the first! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i read all 4 in 4 days.
    i really enjoyed them.
    yeah, goofey but definately fun if you like reading non-taxing stuff.
    wont win awards for prose, but damn enjoyable all the same.
    cant wait for the next one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Rowling (IIRC) was an unpublished author when she wrote the first book - and it shows. The writing style is very rough and raw, but there are good ideas behind it, and it is delivered in an easy-to-read, light style.

As the books progress, the writing becomes more and more accomplished (but its still not great), and the subject matter somewhat darker. Its almost as if the books themselves are growing as Harry does - which is part of the idea.

The books *are* childish. Any adult who enjoys them is (in my opinion) enjoying the reminder of what childhood reading was about, as much as the book itself. The only other books which (for me) cross that divide are the Narnia chronicles by CS Lewis. If you havent read these, I would heartily recommend them.

As a result, I tend to find that there is an age bracket where the books are not so popular - typically mid- to late- teens. No offence to anyone on this list who falls into this bracket, but this is the agegroup where I have noticed a much higher percentage of "no interest in reading kids books" people, and "read them but theyre not great - theyre for kids" people.

Now, dont get me wrong - not everyone has to like the books, and there are many valid reasons for not liking them, but the two above strike a note with me of people who are so recently out of childhood and so comitted to racing towards adulthood that they turn their back on anything which may show their youth up.

Its easy to draw a comparison with movies. Take, for example. a classic "kids" movie like Mary Poppins, or The Wizard of Oz. Adults love them too, but why? They have the same childish simplifications which Blitzkrieger didnt like in the Potter books - simplifications, lack of depth, etc. So why do adults like them? Surely not because of the horrid, horrid songs either? No...they like them because they get reminded of the joy of being young.

Similarly, how many Christmases have we all said "please god, let it be Willy Wonka free"? And then I went off and bought said movie on DVD! Why? Because its silly. It reminds me of so many wonderful Christmases as a kid.

Harry Potter is the same for me. It reminds me of being a kid - a kid who loved reading.

I'm interested in how Rowling will keep the trend going. Harry will be 16 or 17 (I think) by the time he leaves Hogwarts (its a 7-book series), and so will have passed through being a "child hero" to being a "young adult" hero. Will Rowling change her writing style? Will she write for 8-year-old kids when Harry is in his later years at school, or will she continue targetting a progressively older audience as she continues through the series? How will this affect the popularity of the books? Will I still enjoy them?

To anyone tempted to read them....go for it. But expect it to be childish :)

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmmm, read them and tbh I didn't really like them. I did enjoy parts but the plot's lack of any real depth and the pathetic attempt at twists in the tale were definitely something for the kids.

But then again these are children's books, if you go in expecting the kind of depth and complexity of more "mature" series then you will be dissapointed. If you read them just to kill some time or even just because of an urge to lax into a nice childidish fantasy then you'll defintely like them.

That said, I've little or no respect for Rowling, purely from a writing standard point. The imagination and creativity is there, but I feel that (at least at the moment) she lacks the "wordsmith" skills to create a similar classic for a more mature audience. I think alot of ppl cut her style alot of slack because of her target audience, yet other childrens authors don't seem to suffer such problems, C.S. Lewis for instance.

But pls don't let that put you off reading them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Artemis

I've read the first one and the fourth and quite I like them, as bonkey mentioned they are a reminder of how much I'd have loved them when I was a child. I love the idea that Harry grows up with his readers, that way it takes much longer for kids to grow out of something they enjoy. As adult books, the subject matter and plots are not exactly intricate, but they are not really written to be adult books, they were aimed at children and personally I'd recommend them for any kid.

Though the movie just stank really. It looked like they took every op for a special effect, magnified it and then squeezed bits of plot in between. Terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Although I know most boards users fall into the precocious age group that doesn't seem to like Potter much ;) , I'm sure there are some fans here who'll appreciate this...

Apparently the Potter books are HUGE in Japan. Not a big shock - British culture exports very well to Japan, and vice versa when it's given a chance. Of course, some of the stunningly talented Japanese fan artists have been lending their hand to visualising the world and the characters as a result...

Probably the best of the work I've seen is on http://www.hari-pota.com/indexenglish.html - really beautiful art; if you're into the more "cute" angle taken in some anime style artworks, this will appeal. Lookit little Hermione... :)

(You want the "fanart" link and then click on the stars...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭joev

Originally posted by bonkey

I'm interested in how Rowling will keep the trend going. Harry will be 16 or 17 (I think) by the time he leaves Hogwarts (its a 7-book series), and so will have passed through being a "child hero" to being a "young adult" hero. Will Rowling change her writing style? Will she write for 8-year-old kids when Harry is in his later years at school, or will she continue targetting a progressively older audience as she continues through the series?

So, what you're saying is:

Will Ron be rogering Hermione senseless?

Will Harry be showing his 'wand' to Shen.

Will Snape be 'dropping the soap' in the boys showers

:D:D:D

Oh come on... You know you were all thinking it ;)

joev.

Originally posted by joev

Oh come on... You know you were all thinking it ;)
    Not about Snape I wasnt. I just dont see him in the same light you do <nudge nudge> obviously.

Prevert ;)

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭joev

Not about Snape I wasnt. I just dont see him in the same light you do <nudge nudge> obviously.

Prevert ;)

jc

I just reckoned he seemed a bit.... um.... 'fashion conscious' to me :)

BTW... lovely sweater you're wearing today... very.... er.... fashionable :)

*cough*

joev :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by nesf

That said, I've little or no respect for Rowling, purely from a writing standard point. The imagination and creativity is there, but I feel that (at least at the moment) she lacks the "wordsmith" skills to create a similar classic for a more mature audience. I think alot of ppl cut her style alot of slack because of her target audience, yet other childrens authors don't seem to suffer such problems, C.S. Lewis for instance.

there is a big difference between liking someones style (or lack of it in your opinion in this case) and having no respect for them.
    i mean, i hate james joyces books, every one. and ive read quiet a few. does that mean he is a bad author, or that i didnt like his style? and should i disrespect him for his style?

seems a little harsh.
    just because the books have become a phenominan, the usual teen attitude tends to rear its ugly head of,
    'well, thats popular. im not going to like it becuase its popular. im going to rage against the machine. well, ok, i like some of it, but i hate her coz i dont like most of the stuff she writes because im a teenager and im having a hard time and i couldnt possibly be so uncool as to like somthing thats popular.'

i guess thats why shíte obscure bands become popular.
    too many teenagers in the world.....

I think alot of ppl cut her style alot of slack because of her target audience, yet other childrens authors don't seem to suffer such problems, C.S. Lewis for instance.
    I dont know that I'd agree with that. I'm re-reading the Narnia Chronicles at the moment, and while Lewis's style is far more matured than Rowlings (he was a published author long before the Narnia Chronicles, where Rowling was not published before Potter), it is very much a simplistic, child-oriented style.

Still, style is a matter of personal preference, I guess...your opinion is no less valid than mine (although we all pale into insignificance before the might which is WWMs will).
    Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    there is a big difference between liking someones style (or lack of it in your opinion in this case) and having no respect for them.

<snip>

just because the books have become a phenominan, the usual teen attitude tends to rear its ugly head of,
    'well, thats popular. im not going to like it becuase its popular. im going to rage against the machine. well, ok, i like some of it, but i hate her coz i dont like most of the stuff she writes because im a teenager and im having a hard time and i couldnt possibly be so uncool as to like somthing thats popular.'

Yeah - I've also noticed an increasing number of people who dont like Harry Potter because Rowling allowed a Coke deal with the movie. OK, it may not have been the most sensitive tie-in when she's trying to be the "kid-caring mom who did good" type, but even still....what has a Coke-movie deal got to do with her writing????

jc

although we all pale into insignificance before the might which is WWMs will
    jc

im flattered....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmmmm, I do agree with most of your post WWM, I agree maybe I was a little too harsh with the lack of respect comment, but tbh I don't have much. I'm sorry to be critical over what is a children's book, but when I laugh at the choice of imagery or the development of the plot, I find it hard to respect an author.

In a totally inappropiate side-track, I ain't a teenager, I'm not going thru my rebellious angst phase, I'm not of anti-pop culture bias (even tho most of my interests aren't in "popular" lines).

I simply don't have alot of respect for her as an author, it's an opinion I'm entitled to, and I read the first one long before all this recent popularity arose, and I only fininshed the series because of the recent hype. So to say I don't like it because of teenage angst is not really a valid argument! (Early Twenties uber-angst tho is a possibility....)

And the coke deal is excellent! Got a really nice cheap meal deal at the cinema because of it.... It's all good :D

Hmmmm, I do agree with most of your post WWM, I agree maybe I was a little too harsh with the lack of respect comment, but tbh I don't have much. I'm sorry to be critical over what is a children's book, but when I laugh at the choice of imagery or the development of the plot, I find it hard to respect an author.

In a totally inappropiate side-track, I ain't a teenager, I'm not going thru my rebellious angst phase, I'm not of anti-pop culture bias (even tho most of my interests aren't in "popular" lines).

I simply don't have alot of respect for her as an author, it's an opinion I'm entitled to, and I read the first one long before all this recent popularity arose, and I only fininshed the series because of the recent hype. So to say I don't like it because of teenage angst is not really a valid argument! (Early Twenties uber-angst tho is a possibility....)

And the coke deal is excellent! Got a really nice cheap meal deal at the cinema because of it.... It's all good :D

my point wasnt aimed specificly at you.
    it was just a general point about harry potter.
    perticularly with the lotr debate where people said that obviously lotr was better because they liked lotr and had for years and simply didnt like the idea that there could actually be something better out there.
    in other words, people sometimes dont like to open their minds to something new, they tend to just like to be nice and comfortable in their own little zone.
    and good luck to them....

Advertisement