Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas on this problem?

• 02-01-2002 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

The computer i have at home is Siemens Nixdorf 400mhz with 64 meg of RAM, your normal run of the mill 2 year old computer with no upgrades.

Anyways, sometime before christmas i went to turn the computer on and as soon as i turned it on at the plug it came on (without touching the power button on it) and nothing came up on the screen, in fact the monitor went into standby mode. I tried turning it off using the keyboard, reset and power button, but no luck so i turned it off at the mains and then back on again and the same thing happened, since then i have tried it almost everyday but the same thing keeps happening...any ideas what is wrong?

I've already opened it up and checked everything i can see to make sure its all tight and secure and it seems that way, i've also tried turning it on with a boot disk in but no luck. The hard drive is fine because i hooked it onto my new puter and it works fine and everything is on it....like the old computer starts and spins up the cd-rom and hard drive but doesn't go any further....any ideas?

cheers

Farls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hmmmm.....I have a Siemens Xpert, same spec. Is it ATX power (does Windows/Linux shut down the puter or do you have to do it yourself?). It prob is, so it sounds like someone just plugged it out without shutting down, which is never good.

When you tried the boot disk, did it sound like it was booting from it, or did it just do nothing? If it sounded like it was booting, then theres prob just something to do with the monitor. Turn on the the puter, turn off the monitor, and back on again, several times maybe (worked for me before :)) , unplug the monitor from the vid card, put it back in, check connectors, give monitor a smack etc.

If it wasn't booting from the disk, I'd have to look at it. I'm terrible at troubleshooting off site :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Hmmm, have you got a spare videocard ? Do you get any beeps from the machine ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

The monitor is fine, i have it working now on this computer and theres no problems at all.

When i tried to boot from the boot disk there was no sign of it even trying to detect it.

I swapped the graphics cards around and still no joy.

I've tried unplugging everything and putting it back and its not working, i've also taken apart the wee switch that turns it on and off and now am trying to put it back together, why o why was i so nosey with it!.....hehe

cheers

Farls

Advertisement