Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Theft Auto 3

Options
  • 03-01-2002 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

I just got grand theft auto 3, i'm just curious where all you are in the game, or have any secrets/tips. I'm on the "Turismo" mission when u have the street race with the 3 other cars. I lost once, i'm about to try again in a minute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Awpie

Shane here. Some mong left himself logged in. How's everything going?

Yo momma, try getting the banshee car. Féck i cant remember what the name of the place but its near 8-balls. (the d00d who rigs up ur car with a bomb). U shud see a building with tinted glass. Drive a car thro one of the windows and the banshee car shud b there. Use this to do the mission and it shud be a breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

You don't have to do that mission. if you want to do it go ahead but if you just want to advance in the game just keep doin the jobs you get from Salvatore, Tony, Luigi and Joey. I started playin yesterday and i'm on the bit where they fixed the bridge and i'm in Staunton island (the part you work in after portland.)
    And btw read all your pager msgs coz you get an important one on your last job in portland.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I think im 85% through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm on the mission where you have to waste the triad leaders, and am having some difficulty with it... I usually can kill 2 of the three easily enough and then end up getting killed by the last one and his men.

i think this one is one of the last missions on portland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I'm on the mission on the 3rd Island where Maria has just been kidnapped, and I have to go and drop off the ransom, but the evil baddy bitch took the money, and flew off in a helicopter with Maria.

So, I have to chace the helicopter which lands on a building joined to the damn, ram 3 ****ing mexican roadblocks and fight about 15 of the bastards at the damn

To make it fun you have no super weapons, as you had to leave them behind.

Lovely :)

Btw, once you get to Island 2, the Banshee car is common as muck! Get yourselves something classy... like a tank :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Anyone know when this is due out on the PC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Samson: GTA3 isn't coming out on PC I'm afraid.

I've finished GTA3... Possibly the best game I've ever played. The first GTA was my favorite until now, GTA2 was ****e. GTA3 is a 3d GTA1... It's absolutely amazing, with endless hours of fun.. Even if you have finished /every/ little thing in the game.

There's loads of fun secrets and tips.. Just look around! Oh, and check GTA3 secret sites.. /Not/ cheats, secret sites.. Because there's some hidden secrets in the game you'll never find otherwise.. And all the secrets are damn fun. ;)

-Dark-Angel-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Orininally posted by Dark-Angel
    GTA3 isn't coming out on PC I'm afraid.

Bollix.
    Are you sure?

cos when I first heard about GTA3 it was coming out for the PC..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm somewhere on Staunton Island, mostly just driving around trying to max my wanted level, its quite fun :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dark-Angel
    Samson: GTA3 isn't coming out on PC I'm afraid.

I love your information sources :rolleyes:
    Expected around april 2002 last I heard, although it's probably slipped again.

Take 2 Interactive today announced that the PC version of the hit PlayStation 2 game Grand Theft Auto 3 will ship for PC during April of 2002.
    Shinji, still April?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    I'm somewhere on Staunton Island, mostly just driving around trying to max my wanted level, its quite fun :)
    You can't get the full 6 stars until you're on the 3rd island.
    The cheat to increase wanted level is: R2 R2 L1 R2 L R L R L R L R

Omfg and there i was nailing cops, old ladies, gay ppl,swat teams left right and centre tring to increase my wanted level. oauhwe;ohrtaoweth;waeiht;ohawet; hjawet

ta for the cheat.(i dont have a memory card so im having fun with the cheats:()

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

There's loads of fun secrets and tips.. Just look around! Oh, and check GTA3 secret sites.. /Not/ cheats, secret sites.. Because there's some hidden secrets in the game you'll never find otherwise.. And all the secrets are damn fun.

can you give us some urls please?

i finished the game the other day and i'm looking for something else to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Shinji, still April?

Rockstar say it doesn't exist, Take 2 say April, DMA say they don't know anything about it.

*shrug*

I can't honestly see a PC version being much cop anyway, but I guess for those who don't want to shell out for a PS2 (fools!)...

It's probably in the works, but by a totally different studio. Wouldn't be shocked if it's a quick'n'dirty port that the original team have no input in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Shinji
    it's a quick'n'dirty port

mmmmmmmmm :D

Rockstar say it doesn't exist, Take 2 say April, DMA say they don't know anything about it.

*shrug*

I can't honestly see a PC version being much cop anyway, but I guess for those who don't want to shell out for a PS2 (fools!)...

It's probably in the works, but by a totally different studio. Wouldn't be shocked if it's a quick'n'dirty port that the original team have no input in...
    The engine is very easy to build peds/cars/buildings for, that's why im interested in the pc version :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Trev

I'm on the third island, doing missions for people on the second island. I wont give you a full run down of the mission im on cos I dont want to spoil it for people when they get there.
    ---
    A good way to do the race mission is to use a police car, put the siren on and other cars get out the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

FACT: The PS2 version of GTA3 runs at a 'solid 30 frames per second' - now that might be good, but I'm sure a PC could easily manage more. I'm used to ultra-smooth framerates (I've got a fairly decent PC) and when I played GTA3 on my friends PS2, I thought it had some great gameplay but it seemed a bit jerky in places. Thats one reason the PC version would be an improvement on the PS2 version... and I'm pretty confident that a PC version will come.

• Advertisement

I'm sure a PC could easily manage more

Do you actually have any concept whatsoever how the hardware or software in a PS2 or PC operates?

While it's entirely plausible that a PC version would be smoother, the mind boggles at you presenting this as a statement of fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

"I'm sure a PC could easily manage more"

As a statement of fact it is entirely correct. A pc could manage more given the right spec.

Do you actually have any concept whatsoever how the hardware or software in a PS2 or PC operates?

While it's entirely plausible that a PC version would be smoother, the mind boggles at you presenting this as a statement of fact.

Yes I do have a concept... I'm sure the difference in technical specification and a modern PC is common knowledge here so I didn't feel it necessarily to spend a whole message explaining it when all I wanted to get across was my opinion.

I COULD quote the exact spec of the PS2 and draw up some complex comparisons to the average modern day gaming PC (with several equations to compensate for the Reduced Instruction Set nature of the PS2 processor) but I don't think I'll bother.

Put simply, the modern PC (built for gaming of course) has passed out the PS2 in terms of speed by far, and I wouldn't settle for 30 frames per second at the moment in ANY game. Its a matter of perspective I guess... but I consider that a pretty low framerate in comparison to what you can get from a good PC nowadays.

I COULD quote the exact spec of the PS2 and draw up some complex comparisons to the average modern day gaming PC (with several equations to compensate for the Reduced Instruction Set nature of the PS2 processor) but I don't think I'll bother.

I very much doubt that you could, although you're playing a convincing game of amateur Buzzword Bingo in that paragraph.

There's no way in hell a modern PC could handle a port of GTA3 without it being chopped down. The game is designed very tightly around the core of the PS2, and as such plays to the advantages of the system - which, if you knew what you were talking about, are very different to the advantages of a PC system. The PC is good at low-poly environments with hi-res textures; the PS2 is good at high-poly environments with low-res textures and very unusual texture management to allow for the memory pipeline differences. Never mind stuff like elements of the lighting and the blur effects which a PC would have a heart attack over...

I'm not saying that a port isn't possible but to glibly throw about some idea that the spec of the PC makes it simple to move a game this complex over is simply ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Let me see now, lets consider the fact that console technology is behind that of the current PC.

Any console out there can be emulated on a PC.

Any 3d game can have the res adjusted and be played at a res that can uperseed that of a consule , you just need a good machine.

Take mine, 1333mhz (athlon) with a Geforce 2 GTS, **** man I can play open GL on Unreal in software mode what does that tell you ?

Playstation technology (from what I remember of the PS1) is based on RISC, think of it like the old Amiga, and that stuff is not upgradeable, so if your a PS2 owner, any PC owner can upgrade and leave you behind.

Still its a handy piece of kit for just plug it in and play the thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Originally posted by EvilGeorge

Take mine, 1333mhz (athlon) with a Geforce 2 GTS, **** man I can play open GL on Unreal in software mode what does that tell you ?

That tells me that you are totally insane.

The PC is good at low-poly environments with hi-res textures; the PS2 is good at high-poly environments with low-res textures

Now theres a generalisation if ever there was one :D
    There's no way in hell a modern PC could handle a port of GTA3 without it being chopped down.

You're saying an AMD Athlon XP 1900+, with a GeForce3 Titanium 500 64MB DDR and 512MB DDR RAM couldn't do any better than the PS2? I would tend to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

I own boath a PS2 and a PC.
    and the PS2 tends to run 'alot' smoother than the pc, if you want GTA3 that bad why don't you fork out a few quid for a PS2 259 quid at most (not sure in Euro) I got my PS2 for christmas and I am not planning on buying another console for a while. If you don't own a PS2 and a copy of GTA3 your silly :)

Now theres a generalisation if ever there was one

Of course, although it does hold true for the most part. If you look at any title on PS2 that's doing seriously impressive stuff - ICO, MGS2 and GTA3 all spring to mind - it's doing it by throwing around polys with gay abandon while skimping on textures, or at the very least doing deeply clever stuff with its texture pipeline which you NEVER see on the PC. You simply can't do this on a PC; high polygon environments are a total pain, so PC devs get around the problem by dropping really nice textures on everything.

The exception to this is Final Fantasy X, which although it's doing stunning high-poly work, relies mostly on streaming video sections merged with 3D for its effects. That's something else you can't do on a PC, incidentally, because you don't have a guaranteed throughput rate.

Another thing suddenly springs to mind - how on earth would the PC cope with GTA3s radio stations, eh? You won't fit that lot on a CDROM, or at least not without compressing it in very nasty ways.

The high-end PC is fundamentally a more powerful system than the PS2, but the PS2 works in such a radically different way that porting is NOT simple or even always possible. Besides, you can't code for a high end PC these days - you have to consider Geforce2 MX on a P600 or so as the base spec, or you don't sell any units.
    You're saying an AMD Athlon XP 1900+, with a GeForce3 Titanium 500 64MB DDR and 512MB DDR RAM couldn't do any better than the PS2?

It's still got a slower pipeline, no vector units, a totally different architecture and no guaranteed data throughput.

That system could render a more impressive world than the PS2 could. But that doesn't mean that it could render the same worlds that the PS2 can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

So kids, in simple terms, because the PS2 is a fixed platform a game can be written to use it's full power. Whereas a PC game has to have something of the lowest common denominator about it or at least be flexible enough to run on a variety of specs.

This explains why Speedball 2 on an Amiga outperformed PC's of many times it's speed.

Advertisement