Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT and win2k questions

Options
  • 03-01-2002 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, more questions :)

first up:
    having problms with assigning permissions to a local group.
    basically i have created a local group. i have put in a few global groups and a few user accounts and its all nice and tidy.
    now, i want to give permissions to a certain access database so that only members of this local group can view the file.
    the local group can be seen in user manager, hoeber, under permissions, there are no local groups available, only users and global groups.
    however, you can do what you like when it comes to either the pdc or bdc. why can non of the member servers use any of the local groups?
    any ideas???
    any vague idea of what im talking about?

second question, and this is more confusing thing to me.
    i always learned that if you did not log into a domain, you could not use any of the resources available.
    however, yesterday while setting up a few win2k laptops, i put them in a workgroup instead of a domain. by accident. to my surprise, i couldnt log into the network, however when i logged into the local machine, i found i could view all the network, use internet. didnt try printers.
    is this right, i always thought dhcp would only work inside the domain. you had to specificly ask for an ip address from the pdc and then be given the address. however, just connecting to the network physically and loggingin into a local machine seems to have recieved ip address via dhcp (i assume). these are brand new downloads, installed by myself yesterday.
    someone care to explain?
    very very strange.
    it would appeart o me to be an easy way to get info from a network. well, ok, you can only access win9x machines without a valid domain username and password.
    does anyone know what im rabbiting on about.
    im afraid i dont know networking any better to give a more precise dialog on what im talking about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

as well..... :)

should a member server be running user manager for domains?
    it seems to me that the first part above would be solved if i can create a local group in user manager.
    if i create a group in user manager for domains then it creates it for the domain and i cant use it if its not on the pdc or bdc.

goddam it!
    wheres that linux.
    its gotta be easier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

From UserManager go for SELECT DOMAIN and enter the local machine name with \\ in front, this will give you access to the local groups and accounts.
    When you are assigning permissions on files/folders you should be able to choose the local machine from the list of locations/domains, if not enter it manually again.

DHCP assignment has nout to do with Domains any card on the network will receive an address if it asks for it. After all it has to have an address first to actually contact the domain.
    You can use Domain resources on a non-domain system if you enter a valid Domain account when connected to them (eg. using CONNECT as %DOMAIN%\%USER% and out in your password.)

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    From UserManager go for SELECT DOMAIN and enter the local machine name with \\ in front, this will give you access to the local groups and accounts.
    When you are assigning permissions on files/folders you should be able to choose the local machine from the list of locations/domains, if not enter it manually again.
    Hope that helps.

you little ripper.
    works a treat.
    could not figure out how to make it user manager from domain to local.
    cheers

with regard to the domain question and dhcp, i have found that win2k allows you to choose to connect to another system (in a a domain) using a differnt password and username. this is a concious decision to change choose who you are logging in as.
    however, i havent heard of this in NT4 or otherwise.
    i have logged onto a shared resourse in NT4 as myself (domain admin) from someone elses account, but i have never heard of not being on the network and accessing resources. it would have always given me a access denied error (i think)

is this making sense?

Advertisement