Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtua Fighter 4 vs Tekken 4

Options
  • 03-01-2002 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

I was in London over new years and got a chance to play both these Arcade games. In the near future both these games will probably be going head on to be the next big beat-em-ups in the console wars. Has anybody else had a chance to try them out?

I played Tekken 4 first and was sorely dissapointed. It seemed to me a fairly minor improvement on Tekken3. The fighters had a higher detail than before but nothing that really blew me away. The graphics were only slightly better than Soul Calibur which has been out for 2 years now. The rotating backrounds are starting to look quite low detail and rather shoddy. Tekken's gameplay is also starting to get rather old. I loved Tekken2 to bits and played it to death and I was pulling off all the same moves in this version with ease. There were some very nice effects in places-(water/tree level and the brawl inside a room with crowds cheering you on) but on the whole the levels were very unimpressive with none of the level to level fighting we had become accustomed to from Dead Or Alive2 or Virtua Fighter 3.

Next I played Virtua Fighter 4 and I think things were a big improvement. I had'nt played the VF seres half as much as the Tekken games and was very refreshed by the technicalties of the game. You need to block and time you attacks. The combos are much easier to work out and experiment with too. You actually find combos in VF rather than learning them off like in Tekken. The detail on the models was higher than T4 and the Animation smoother. The levels were also far better IMO- they rotated in a less artificial manner and had alot more character.

this is what I gather from about 3 or 4 games. I have to say though that I was'nt that impressed by either game. They both just seem to be extensions of the previous games that add little. The very least I had expected was graphics that would astound me but I did'nt get that much either. Perhaps nowadays when out PC's are equipped with GForce cards we're harder to astound. I think it's probably down to the fact that I still love Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast so much... damnit. I really must go buy a DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

all you will ever need is tekken tag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Fu<k that! buy a PS2 and get TeKKeN Tag......
    The best fighting game around since Marvel Vs Capcom

I mean Tekken 4 doesnt the flair of Tekken 3 but Tekken Tag is so much a better game.....

As for soul Cailber..it isnt the jump from soul blade that we expected...(bar the fancey graphics) but it is a cool game!!!

TeKKeN Tag is the best to get....

(i wish Kazumi Ninja got a port from the jag...i still live in prayer for it...the most violent game in history)
    kasumi4.jpg
    so much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Tekken4 is being sevearly upgraded from the arcade version when it arrives on PS2. So that isnt going to be the version you are getting, i think VF4 is also getting a touch up here and there.
    Ill be getting them both though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

VF4 is certainly the better game; it actually manages to make up for the absolute tripe that was VF3tb, which is quite impressive.

This being said - who cares? Soul Calibur 2 next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

VF3 was good! Extremely inaccesable at first but it really grew on me. VF4 is certainly much easier to play though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Soul Caliber 2 *drool*
    /me wants

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Tekken Tag contains much ownage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

I'd go with Tekken...but Soul Calier 2 is looking fantastic. Must get a DC myself tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭-RaY-

imo oppinion i would rather go for Soul Caliber 2 or DOA2 which is still very good beside the extras (DOA fans knows wat im talking about :D).The Capcom vs. titles are pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Virtual Fighter never appealed to me. Tekken however rocks, altho I was dissapointed with tekken4!

Maybe tekken5 will be better :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

I played boath games at the Arcade the other day Tekken 4 was a big let down but it had a better feeling to it than VF4. Also the visuals in VF4 where nice (the helicopters etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

For a start , tekken 4 will be getting no improvement over the arcade. The ps2 release will be that of the second revision of the arcade system, which means, it won't have as many bugs which most ppl wouldnt have noticed anyway.
    As far as the game goes, well disappointed, tried to look on the bright side of things , but there isn't one. Its so far gone from what was an almost perfectly set up fighter in tag.

Namco opted for a more "muppet" approach to the game, which i see hasn't even amused the muppets, probably a good thing.

Over in korea (where they have tekkenTV, no seriously, mad ppl!)
    they've pretty much abandoned tekken which had become a nation institution over there for VF4 (well the best tekken players have anyway)

Personally i don't like the VF series, its alright for messing about when you're bored with some friends but its not exactly a game you could learn anything off considering the combo's are "free" and thereby rock hard to replicate if you manage a good one.

I'm going back to street fighter, no more of this cr4p!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 thereal_unsane

Originally posted by bugs

I'm going back to street fighter, no more of this cr4p!

word bro.

Street Fighter all the way. Anyone played it on the GBA yet? it's super bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The GBA versions quite good. I'd give it 89%.

The Super Street Fighter II Arcade machines leagues ahead though... you need a proper joystick and 6 buttons.

Advertisement