Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to get the old sky analogue channels on sky digtal

• 03-01-2002 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

HI
    I have Sky Digital could it be possible to put another LNB
    on my mini dish and connected it to an analogue/digital recevier
    so I can hundred of Free To Air channels. It this possible?
    If not how can I get forgein channels without getting another dish :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Sell your sky minidish, replace it with a larger dish, and place two LNB's on it. One pointing at 28.2E (hooked up to your digibox), and the other pointing at either 13.0E or 19.2E, whichever floats your boat. You can hook up the other LNB to a free to air decoder box, I think you can get ones that can receive both analogue and digital signals.

Check here http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.shtml to see what you can get for free on 19.2E, and here http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.shtml to see whats on 13.0E. Any of the channels in beige or white are free, the red ones are encoded. 19.2 is mostly German channels, 13.0 seems to have a nice international mix.

I really wouldn't reccomend hooking multiple LNB's up to your minidish, because the minidish is hardly good enough to receive what it's supposed to receive anyway. Buy a decent 60cm Triax dish and Universal LNB, it will only set you back about 40 pounds in total. and greatly improve your viewing of Sky Digital during clouds or rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Hi ,

Where can these dishes for £40 be bought?
    The cheapest I can get 60cm mini-dishes (including LNB) is
    for £60 here in Limerick.

regards,
    Dave

These are the prices in Holland at www.satellietwinkel.nl:

Triax 64cm dish: 30 Euros
    Alps Universal Lnbf: 26 Euros

Which is roughly 44 pounds... Slightly more than I thought. Perhaps it costs more in Ireland because of import costs, I'm not sure. Isn't it great that we can easily compare prices with the Euro though, should lead to more competitive prices Europe-wide I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

here in Limerick

A multiple LNb system that far west for both sky digital and Astra1 or Hotbird means you need a big dish, a much bigger dish.

I really cant see a 60CM dish giving you any performance and its even a push @ 1M solid.
    1.2M would be a starting point but i would not be confident in it especially for Astra2 + Hotbird as thats a 15° difference..nah it way too big.

even if you just want Astra 1 and 2 then get an extra dish, far easier.

You're right. 15 degrees is too big.

Now that I come to think of it, the only multiple lnb systems I have seen have been for Astra 19.2 + Hotbird, which is only a difference of 6 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

(Comment moved to correct discussion .... doh!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

If I don`t get a another dish but will it be still capable of receiving a free analogue by
    putting another universal LNB on the mini-dish.? How many
    free to air channels will the mini dish be able to get. And what do you
    call the cable from the LNB to the digiox or recvceriver? How much
    are they?

The Sky minidish is much to small to be messing around with multiple LNB's.

Al Jazeera is on Sky Digital, you just have to tune it in manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Al Jazeera is on the UK EPG - no need to tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wizard1

Al Jazeera is on the Irish EPG at position 674

• Advertisement
Advertisement