Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help

• 04-01-2002 3:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'll be receiving a new PC from Dell next week and I have no idea how to transfer all my mp3's, movie's etc. across to my new PC :(
    All those type's of files are stored on my 2nd hard drive.
    I don't have access to a CD burner so is it possible to just connect the drive to my new PC and transfer the files across?

The main thing that is bothering me though is how to transfer my
    all my eircom accounts as I'll be selling the older PC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

is it possible to just connect the drive to my new PC and transfer the files across?

Quick answer is Yes
    The main thing that is bothering me though is how to transfer my eircom accounts as I'll be selling the older PC

I am assuming your dialup internet account info, is what you mean when you say "accounts". If I am right, the most important thing to do is delete them off your old PC before you sell it. If I was selling a PC, I would format the hard disk, and simply have an OS on it.

You can setup a new Eircom account on your new PC. Actually WTF are you using Eircom for? (they're crap). Use another ISP instead, there are several better ones to choose from. IOL free isn't bad, I'm using it right now, but that's only temporarely.

If you are not satisfied with my reply will you let me know what kind of user level you are at. Ie. are you a casual user who knows bugger all about computers, or are you a hardware freak etc. That way I will know how to better answer you. No offense but I am getting the vibe that you are worrying more than you should, simply because you are under educated WRT the subject.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if all files etc are on a second hard drive, then take out the second hard drive and stick it into the new machine.
    transfere all data to new machine, remove hard drive and put back into old machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 XCR diablo

Originally posted by phobos

I am assuming your dialup internet account info, is what you mean when you say "accounts". If I am right, the most important thing to do is delete them off your old PC before you sell it.
    You can setup a new Eircom account on your new PC.

How can I still receive the emails from my old accounts though?

I havn't really had any trouble with Eircom's free service for a while now. Don't get disconnected all the time anymore, and if I do it's usually my modems dodgy adapter that's to blame.

I admit I'm still a bit of a newbie to computers but I'm not as bad as most ppl.

Thanks for the replys guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭dragonkin

Just use your old usernames and passwords.
    If you are using eircom email you can check it anywhere in the world, it doesn't depend on the physical comp at all.

DK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by XCR diablo
    I'll be receiving a new PC from Dell next week and I have no idea how to transfer all my mp3's, movie's etc. across to my new PC :(
    All those type's of files are stored on my 2nd hard drive.
    I don't have access to a CD burner so is it possible to just connect the drive to my new PC and transfer the files across?

The main thing that is bothering me though is how to transfer my
    all my eircom accounts as I'll be selling the older PC.

Why should you need to transfer your files?, sounds like you are keeping the second drive, so just stick it in the new pc jumpered as slave if you are using an ide cable, or second on the cable and cable select if you are using an ultra 66/100/133 cable(both should be on cable select for this setup)

Outlook accounts...

1)tools/accounts/mail--->>export to the second drive (recommend making a folder called mail for ease of backup)...now your dialups are saved, on new pc..tools/accounts/mail..import..browse to the iaf file...to restore them

2)Messages, easiest way is to search for inbox.dbx, right click copy, and then paste into the mail folder, on new pc, search for inbox.dbx(rightclick inbox/properties is a fast way)..once you know where it is, browse there and paste..do you want to over write ..yes, now all your emails are on the new pc

3)Contacts, easiest way here (in outlook express) is file/export/address book/text file..save csv file in your mail folder, on the new pc, file/import/other addressbook.

So no need for any mails lost, no dialup accounts lost, no contacts lost

Once everything is backed up on the second drive, format the main drive.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

to continue what longfield said, to change your store folder(were emails are kept) go outlook express/tools/options/maintainace then click the store folder button about 2/3 down. then browse to were ever you want the new folder to be. i find it handy to change default to a secound hard drive, that way in sudden system crashs and formats, i dont loose emails. i do the same for favourites and mydocument

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

I got a new pc from dell last year, and i had to transfer all my files from my old pc to the other. you need to take out your 2nd hard drive and put it in as a slave (probably the same as your old one??) then all you need to do is boot up and copy across your files...

Xern:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 XCR diablo

Got the new PC and all the file transfering worked out fine.
    Big thanks to all you guys who took time out to help me ^_^

Advertisement