Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried as my college years come to an end

• 04-01-2002 5:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Right,

At this stage a lot of ye know that I'm in my final year of a BSc. in Software Development in GMIT. Up to now I have been doing quite well in college in general, but still I worry that I'm going to be walking in to a lot of closed doors when I leave. It's around this time of year I want to start sending off my CV to potential employers. As of now I don't know of anyone hiring at the moment in my field of study. Christ things have changed!! :(

The only thing that I have going for me is that I am one of the enthusiastic CS students, who has a passion for software dev. Have achieved high grades in college, and have co-founded/run the Irish Java Users Group in my spare time. As regards experience, I don't have anything that stands out, apart from standard web design for the past 2 years, and some ECDL type lecturing.

A lot of people tell me not to worry about the above (experience) paragraph, and that it has more to do with how I present it. But what I want to know is how did ye guys (who are in similar working environments) get in to the work place at the start. TBH I haven't had to apply for a job in quite a while, any work I got seemed to come my way quite easily. It's a catch22 for graduates with no relavant experience so there must be some way to get on track. I would like if someone could give me career finding advice, and job preparation techniques etc. Are there places online that will teach me how to prepare a winning CV?

My lecturers in college would like myself and another guy to go on and do a MSc. . It's something I wouldn't overlook, but I would like to get some proper experience behind me, and perhaps go back and do that later.

Right now location is more important than money, but beggers can't be choosers either. I'm located in Galway, and would like to work here, I have no car, but a place to stay. If I was to work outside of Galway, it probably would be Dublin. But if that was to happen I would have to take in to consideration the high cost of living.

Can anyone shine some light on the subject :confused:

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Well as someone who graduated last yr with a degree in Computer Applications, you should really consider doing the MSc as there are currently very few if any jobs going in Ireland for computer graduates.

Getting good grades and have a passion for software development is not enough in the current climate. All they are looking for is people with at least 2yrs commercial experience, but give it a try anyway, you may get lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I hate to be another negative voice here, but tis the reality of the situation. I graduated with an honours degree in computer science last June and I am still unable to find full time work in IT (I'm working in the family fish n chip shop, sorta part-time, and I've had to move out of dublin months ago). As it stands I've only been able to get one interview in Ireland in all that time. Thankfully I have another one next week. You really need to have workplace experience, to even get considered for an interview.

Obviously its pretty clear why things have been crap and hopefully within the next 6 months things should improve alot. Poll all the big software companies in Ireland and see what sort of response you can get. You'll know things are picking up if you can get word of upcoming jobs from them etc, otherwise if you get pfo's (please fVck off) I'd seriously consider the msc. Personally I couldn't stomach the idea of doing an msc when I had the choice, I'd rather be getting on with my career, not another 2 years doing academic stuff etc - but look where that choice got me. Still stand by it though, I'll not be taking an msc for the sake of the security it provides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Greenbean
    You really need to have workplace experience, to even get considered for an interview.

Never a truer word said. Only managed to get a couple of interviews cos I spent a couple of years as a systems admin and another couple as a web designer. The market has gone to pants and apparently worse is to come. Wasnt too long ago u'd get a job as a programmer with 6 months experience just cos they were desperate for people.. bloody country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Quick reply (check your iol a/c Weston)

- download www.monster.[ie|com|co.uk] and read all advice section
    - make your cv to suit a general audience
    - emailshot cv at tonnes of prospective companies (try get HR peoples direct email addresses from websearches and internal contacts)
    - identify a couple of companies you really want to work for as your top choices: tailor cv for these ones
    - be persistant (but ob not abusive ;)), email and ring them to follow up (dont let them stall too much, time's important)
    - dont take no for an answer
    - dont panic if you get to april without a job or interview (I did, and got one)

Above all, network (you've started). Identify the companies you're interested in and ask everyone you meet in rl and online (try #quake.ie for example) if they know someone who works there - if so get their mail addr or ask them to talk to you.

gl with the hunt,
    Al.

Advertisement