Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL - Trial

Options
  • 04-01-2002 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Bloody ethernet adsl box saps my processor...

I'd kinda hoped by choosing it over the USB, that it would run independent - like say an external modem as apposed to PCI :(

Not a very reliable thing either. 3/10 logins, i'd have to re-boot the thing (takes about 3minutes, then it mightn’t work again...). Roughly every 8 hours i get dissed....
    Sometimes 'could be a day or two, others it could be 3 or 4 times in 20 minutes....

Worth £90 and a 3gig cap?? - No.
    Worth £40 - Yeah, still a HELLA lot better then dialup, downloads of up to 50kb/s!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Kamobe what kind of machine are you using? I assume you have a USB adsl adapter of some sort. Gimme the specifications of your machine and Ill see if I can help you out. Include details of your operating system, and your web browser, and anything else you think is relevant.

Thanks

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by kamobe
    Bloody ethernet adsl box saps my processor...

I'd kinda hoped by choosing it over the USB, that it would run independent - like say an external modem as apposed to PCI :(

matt he said its the ethernet one not the usb, so can you still help him?

also, if it is actually the ethernet one, it shouldn't have any load what so ever on his CPU. its very odd....?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm also using the ethernet modem. no noticable processor drain on my pc, but I'm not used to it, so can't be sure. Macs are completely unaffected by it.

I've been lucky with my connections it seems. I have typically stayed connected for up to a week, and then disconnected myself, so no idea how long I could have kept going.

throughput never seems to go over 50K, but I'm more than happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

would it be a good idea for some trialists to install some sort of download monitor and keep track of how much they are downloading ?

I just don't believe eircoms statement that "only one of our trialists went over the 3g cap"

(I think DU Meter is a common one ...
    DU Meter Homepage)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

More comms than IO? I think so...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

its wont sap your cpus speed unless there is somethings wrong, i wouldnt know were to start without looking at your rig, but ive had to do allot of work on my ethernet model before i got it stable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Originally posted by neverhappen
    would it be a good idea for some trialists to install some sort of download monitor and keep track of how much they are downloading ?

I just don't believe eircoms statement that "only one of our trialists went over the 3g cap"

Seeing as you're not being charged for the ADSL connection you can download as much as you like without having to worry about going over this magic 3 gig number. When I got the trial installed I wasn't told about any cap, was anybody else?

-Son of Blam

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

heh - this is ethernet :)
    Not a dummy ;)

athlon 700 - takes from 5-20% when downloadin, 100% when dialling up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

somethings wrong with your system, you dont have it tweaked enough, when i had the modem running on a p3 500 it didnt sap that much. Could be the crap eircom ehernet software though. i never used it(nice little router), seriously, there should be pratically no cpu use coming from the cpu end, of course if your pc is moving fiels around and clearing space then its goign to take up soon of the cpu power.

my advise, use the standard tweaks to allround speed up you system

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I only used it for a few days hooked up to my win2k machine directly. But it worked perfectly.
    I have it setup now on a Linux box using NAT.
    I have it up for a few weeks now without a reboot.
    The machine is only a P-60 and the CPU when I'm downloading is only about 1-2% even at 60K/sec download.
    The box also acts as a simple firewall protecting my windows machines to a certain extent.
    This all fits on 1 floppy disk. I only had to make minor adjustments to the default bootdisk to get it working.
    If you're interested see http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/download.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

No problems with ethernet adsl - this is normal....

But there's no one experiencing problems with the eircom box and the i-stream software??

Advertisement