Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB to re-enter the telecoms market this year

Options
  • 04-01-2002 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Here's an article in todays Irish Times that I thought folks might be interested in.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2002/0104/1175673500BWESB.html

Does anybody think that this a ray of hope for us all. ESB state in the article that their licence allows them to sell on access to their network to other telcos. This could make Eircom finally get their thumb out now that there is real competition out there. Or could this be another company making pie in the sky promises.

Is there anybody out there who has any more info. besides what has been written in the article.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Here's an ESB press release from Feb 2001 that would appear to describe the same project, but has some more detail:

http://www.esb.ie/main/news_events/press_release26.jsp

It sounds like the main significance is there being (yet) another backbone provider, albeit with almost 100% coverage. Energis in the UK don't appear to operate in anything smaller than the leased circuit and business LAN/WAN market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Sounds promising but costs could mount up seen as ESB will be stilling the bandwidth to OLO's rather than floging it to the consumer them selves - cant blame them really, once they finishing laying all the cable they will want to make recoup costs asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I've not read either article, (i'm in work and supposed to be busy) but is there anything stopping a group of people banding together and buying bandwidth from the ESB for (say) a community wireless broadband network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

as far as i can remember, in order to do this, they will need to actually upgrade the lines, to prevent data loss,so i douth you will see it in your homes,

one thing though, you can now order in network gear from the states and europe that allows you to network through your power lines, at much greater speed then networking through uour home lines, this more then anything else has convinced me that within 10 years we will see this in the home,

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

The same story reported in the Indo

mentions some technical info ...

"The network consists of cables made of 48 separate fibres, each with two-and-a-half gigabits of connectivity. The new fibre cabling uses technology developed by AFL Focas."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    as far as i can remember, in order to do this, they will need to actually upgrade the lines, to prevent data loss,so i douth you will see it in your homes,
    None of the articles mention using the power lines for home broadband. They are about the ESBs fibre network and a potential bid for 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Here's some details on delivering internet to consumers over electric power lines:

http://www.ipcf.org/powerlineintro.html

intro1.gifintro2.gif

There are issues, but it certainly looks like a runner.

Govt if you're reading PLEEEEASE don't sell off the ESB. It's one of our best national assets, and could be our last hope.

Advertisement