Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else noticing retailer's hikeing prices?

Options
  • 04-01-2002 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

!!----Flame---!!
    We all knew that some would, but have any of the rest of ye noticed you're being charged quite a bit more in the ast few days in some places? besides pubs that is.

For instance my usual lunch (soup and filled roll) used cost me €4.51 (£3.55) and now costs €5.10 (£4.02) a hike of 13% :eek: :(

and this morning, being a bit hung over, i bought a 500ml bottle of Lucozade Sport and forked over €2.51 (£1.98). when i realised what i was after paying as i was drinking it i nearly chocked!
    The most i ever paid was £1.50 (€1.90) in a small news agents in Black rock and never went back. the most i used ever pay was £1.29 (€1.64) A BLEEDIN 42% increase!!:eek: :mad:

And what the hell good is this pathtic "Name and Shame Punishment" going to do????

Sweet F.A.

:mad:

Rant over. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

To hell with the Consumer affairs people name and shame policy its not doing any good

Here in Limerick I have noticed the price hikes too

Before December 31st a taxi ride from the south of the city to the north cost £5 €6.35 now it costs 6.50

and get this if your going to a bank to convert your punts to euros they are rounding anything less than a penny i.e. .6 or.6 of a cent they are rounding the difference DOWN

I have also seen a local chippy charge 83c for cans of coke when they used to be 60p i thought 60p was equal to 76c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

<rant>
    yep, happend 2nite at SHELL in Mitchelstown, went in for 2 bags of tatos and a pack of halls.

came out with change that did not match what it would have been post euro conversion. i realise petrol stations are generally more expensive than norm but this was an abvious as the tellers inability to deal with the changeover
    </rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the last 2 months:

Dublin Bus -
    Night Link gone up to €4.00/€6.00 from €3.81/€5.08
    7 day Rambler gone up from €14.98 to €16.50
    ordinary fares have gone down slightly

dnc (sorry Gary) -
    basic off-peak internet access gone up to €2.60 from €2.54
    bar of chocolate gone up to €0.60 from €0.51 (originally under-priced)
    some other products have gone down in price

Bewleys
    did not display menu prices - prices appeared to be higher at the till

Taxis
    €1.03 added to all fares pre-Christmas until meters are corrected

Bridge tolls
    a car on the Westlink has gone up to €1.30 from €1.27
    apparently all other tolls were rounded down

Irish Independent
    the daily paper has gone up to €1.40 from €1.27

ntl
    Basic Dublin package has gone up to €15.50 from €11.58
    In the last 2 months:

Dublin Bus -
    Night Link gone up to €4.00/€6.00 from €3.81/€5.08
    7 day Rambler gone up from €14.98 to €16.50
    ordinary fares have gone down slightly

dnc (sorry Gary) -
    basic off-peak internet access gone up to €2.60 from €2.54
    bar of chocolate gone up to €0.60 from €0.51 (originally under-priced)
    some other products have gone down in price

Bewleys
    did not display menu prices - prices appeared to be higher at the till

Taxis
    €1.03 added to all fares pre-Christmas until meters are converted

Bridge tolls
    a car on the Westlink has gone up to €1.30 from €1.27
    apparently all other tolls were rounded down

Irish Independent
    the daily paper has gone up to €1.40 from €1.27 [n](correction - this only applies on Saturday. The weekday paper stays at €1.27. Great, a paper with two different prices)[/b]

ntl
    Basic Dublin package has gone up to €15.50 from €11.58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I wouldn't be too shocked if prices go up by a few cents or so, because retailers often adjust their prices according to inflation on January 1 anyway. And as we know, Ireland has one of the highest inflation rates in the EU thanks to Charlie McCreepy. If you want to see some price stability, then when June comes around vote the corrupt FF muppets out of power.

But some of the other price hikes, as in the NTL one described above, are indeed shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hav'nt spotted any hikes but I have saved a few bob
    becasue of the €uro. My van wash is 35 cent less than it "should" be and The Munster Express is 2 cent cheaper than it would be
    if bought with old money.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I'm noticing prices are going up now.. quite a lot of them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Bus Eireann and the national lottery have rounded DOWN their prices. Cigarettes appear to have been rounded up after the budget, with a pack of 20 cancersticks costing bang on 5 euros now (unless you smoke B+H, €5.05).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Stephen
    Cigarettes appear to have been rounded up after the budget, with a pack of 20 cancersticks costing bang on 5 euros now (unless you smoke B+H, €5.05).
    FS, that's just typical... I smoke Bennies. :rolleyes:

I also heard on the gerry ryan show, that penny sweets are now 2¢ :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

In DNC we adjusted our prices some up and some down to make it easier for change. We have never had to deal with 2p's and pennies so we did the same with the Euro and rounded everything to multiples of 5 cent. (No offence taken Victor)

But I noticed that the Jelly Bean machine had the price changed from 20p to 50cent, almost double the original price. So we tested to see if you got any more Jelly beans and on average you got 2 more. So for a laugh I rang the company that supplies them and told the guy what I thought of their little price hike. Long and short of it is I told the guy to take them back cause they where basically just ripping everyone off. I know it's stupid little thing but if everyone objects to all the price hikes something might be done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by meglome
    I know it's stupid little thing but if everyone objects to all the price hikes something might be done about it.
    That's the spirit :D

Originally posted by daveirl
    Personally I've not had this experience in fact I'm making a profit for example clubbing last night:
    Entry: Was: €3.81 [£3] Now: €3.50 [£2.76] - 24p
    Cloakroom: Was: €1.27 [£1] Now: €1 [£0.79] - 21p
    Beer: Was: €2.54 [£2] Now: €2.50 [£1.97] - 3p
    Vodka: Was: €2.22 [£1.75] Now: €2.00 [£1.58] - 17p

Hmmm, makes me wonder .... haven't you been overcharged all along then?
    BTW Remember VAT went up on Janurary 1 so divide old price by 120 and multiply by 121 to get new price! so I even saved more when that is taken into account

VAT is not going up until the 1 March 2001. The Plastic Bag Levy (15c per bag?) is due in February (15th?)

Originally posted by meglome
    (No offence taken Victor)

Had to be fair to NTR and Dublin Bus. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

the toll brige on the M50 did a very smart rip off

the price for a car was £0.80

they added vat (20%) and it went up to £0.96 so they rounded it to £1

then they converted it to Euro £1 - €1.27 and rounded up again to €1.30

so it was £0.96 with vat, and in Euro that is €1.22 which should be rounded to €1.20

so they are making an extra 10c per car by taking advantage of the rounding up twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I wouldn't call £2 for a pint being overcharged!!!

Where the heck was that you went out to, daveirl? Those prices are shockingly... cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Daveirl, you say you went to a club and that was the price for a pint, i know a football club that charges that, not a nite club

i'd say you would get a pint of coke in a nite club for £2, thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

and I thought our prices were good! :rolleyes:

heh...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Originally posted by Lucifer.POD
    the toll brige on the M50 did a very smart rip off

the price for a car was £0.80

they added vat (20%) and it went up to £0.96 so they rounded it to £1

then they converted it to Euro £1 - €1.27 and rounded up again to €1.30

so it was £0.96 with vat, and in Euro that is €1.22 which should be rounded to €1.20

so they are making an extra 10c per car by taking advantage of the rounding up twice

They still accept £1 coins - I would hold on to these for as long as possible !!! - saving 3c per toll !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

They still accept £1 coins - I would hold on to these for as long as possible !!! - saving 3c per toll !!!

Really though, could you be bothered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Originally posted by Victor
    In the last 2 months:

Irish Independent

Daily indo is still €1.27 (£1)
    Sat Indo is now €1.40 (£1.10) - went up about 3/4wks ago
    and the sunday indo is €1.65 (£1.30)

Originally posted by decob
    Originally posted by Victor
    Irish Independent
    Daily indo is still €1.27 (£1)
    Sat Indo is now €1.40 (£1.10) - went up about 3/4wks ago
    and the sunday indo is €1.65 (£1.30)

My apologies - I was basing my information on what the newsagent told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

packet of chewing gum cost me 55Euro, that must be a hike.
    :)

[edit]i should ofcourse have stated "cent"[/edit], still seems hiked to me.

Originally posted by chernobyl
    [edit]i should ofcourse have stated "cent"[/edit], still seems hiked to me.

Yeah, I was asked for 650 Euro for my lunch the other day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well following complaints they fixed the coke machine at work it now charges 75 cents for a can.

so there is light at the end of the tunnel

still €6.50 for taxi fare though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

These people make me sick.
    They are the ones currently advertising on the radio about not taking advantage of the Euro changeover whilst also asking you to 'stop messing around with all that change and opt for a prepaid ticket'.
    In short, no retailer is going to be out of pocket after the Euro changeover and garages are the worst. When petrol prices are increased the garages do it immediately and when petrol prices are reduced - well have you ever seen a garage reduce its prices ??:mad:

Yes actually, petrol prices had been falling on an almost weekly basis before the budget. In statoil anyway.

They've dropped a few since since then as well.

I notice the vending machines in college here are charging €1.10 for a 500ml bottle - that should only cost €1.08. 75c for a can.

They also have big stickers saying that 1 and 2 euro coins will be rejected when the use correct change light is on. Makes no sense to me, €1 + 10c = correct change :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Stephen
    Yes actually, petrol prices had been falling on an almost weekly basis before the budget. In statoil anyway.

I notice the vending machines in college here are charging €1.10 for a 500ml bottle - that should only cost €1.08. 75c for a can.

:eek: Holy Christ!!! Overcharging by 2c.... you should contact the ombudsman...

weh weh weh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

Jesus! Going from like 30p to 55 EURO! Thats a 1000% increase. :D j/k. but yeah i've noticed a lot of places rounding up instead of down. And the Jelly Bean machine is gone from DNC? dont know if I can ever go in there again. :(

Advertisement