Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Discs *scream*

Options
  • 04-01-2002 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

i HATE it
    it always gives me a bloody headache when i go in there and try and figure out where the artist im looking for is
    who the fook did the layout for albums? its impossible to find anyhting in there, not only because they've got such a small amount of stock, but because you spend about 5 minutes trying to work out where things are, and if you havent left the store from exasperation at this stage, when you do work out wherre its supposed ot be, its not there, or they never had it in the first place.
    AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHH
    sorry-had to get that off my chest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

maybe you should go to a proper record shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

hmmm,
    all small shops, so you should find the albums
    within a minute. From there, concentrate on the
    albums in front of you and you should figure out
    at what stage of the alphabet you're at.
    Get that far and we're into Europe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Golden Discs does suck but they're mostly cheaper for stuff than HMV, Tower and Virgin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

once my friend bought the strokes album in golden discs. when she got home,she looked at the cd in the case. it was hearsay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

it was hearsay.

a mistake of universe changing proportions !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

yeah golden discs is the cheapest main store around,and it does stoodent discount,so if ya ever find anything you like ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

I purchased the D12 album at Golden Discs in Bray. I got home and listened to it, it was fine untill I start hearing barking sounds and whistles etc. I looked at the CD and it was the clean version, but it said nothing about being clean on the CD case, it also had 'Parental Advisary' on the front of the case... Muppets :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

Not sure if I should give an opinion here because I work in Golden Discs but im sure people have horror stories from buying cd's in other shops too.
    As for Golden Discs being pretty crap in general, well I cant argue with that but all I know is that myself and Antisocial work in Donaghmede and do our best to try and keep the standards high there. Especially with the rawk music, and with a lot of Irish artists aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

My friend got a voucher for GD for x-mas and we spent a day looking for a cd that was non-Robbie/Hearsay in the three golden discs we found in town. eventually he had to settle for a mediocre everclear album, the most "alternative" the shop could offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

its so small and annoying and they only have pop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Jesus imagine getting hearsay when you were expecting the strokes. That deserves a fire bombing at the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Zebedee

At least Hearsay have some cultural relevance. The Strokes are just an over-hyped variant of the the Australian Doors.
    I don't know what you are doing shopping in GD. You really should try spending your cash in shops like Road and Freebird which actually make an effort to stock good music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

the one in blackrock is alright. belle and sebastian in stock and that's pretty 'alternative'.

tends to be down to the individual stores record buyer and how much descretion he/she has towards the more marginal stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by knobbles
    hmmm,
    all small shops, so you should find the albums
    within a minute. From there, concentrate on the
    albums in front of you and you should figure out
    at what stage of the alphabet you're at.
    Get that far and we're into Europe!

i know i know but they do lay it out strangely
    in horizontal lines, and you can never find where one line ends and the next begins because they change the amount of rows in each lines (is what im saying confusing? EXACTLY my point)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

golden discs do the same student discount that hmv, tower and virgin all do...10%
    i can usually find most of the stuff i want in hmv, but sometimes virgin will sell it for cheaper. virgin are a lot stricter on the discpounts though, they wont give it on any item on sale (wheas you can sometimes put that one past them at hmv) but virgin dont always ahve what your looking for. tower usually do but its SO much more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by thedrowner

i know i know but they do lay it out strangely
    in horizontal lines, and you can never find where one line ends and the next begins because they change the amount of rows in each lines (is what im saying confusing? EXACTLY my point)

i hear ye, it's handier in virgin where every band
    has a headboard but there's no point in GD doin that cause
    they've far less stock....quantity and quality! must admit,
    i never bought anything in GD before i started workin there.
    but it is a bit cheaper. very nb for students!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

GD sometimes have some great deals, especially if you are looking for the boyzone, westlife back catalog. Joking aside, some GD's are better that others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Very simple solution to the golden discs being **** problem-Freebird, Road, Mac's ,final vinyl, Spindizzy, Disque, Rhythm, Abbey, Record Collecter, Secret Book and Record store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

Simple solution for Dubs alright, what about the poor country folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

country people don't need to buy records, they all just get together in the town hall once a week and listen to the wireless. there's only one channel, mind, but they still have one rip-roarin' hooley afterwards to celebrate. auld dinny with the accordian plays the music, because the boys in the village are tired after winding the wirelss up all week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

There's actually a problem with Dublin record shops in general. They all seem to go to the vast extremes of either ridiculously commercial (HMV, Virgin etc) or overly elitist (Road Records). CDS's in Ireland are way overpriced too. You should all take a trip to Edinburgh or Glasgow and visit Fopp and Avalanche. The selection of quality music is huge, and the prices are a good 20 or 30% lower than here (even allowing for the exchange rate). I only visit Scotland twice a year, but buy most of my CD's there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Zebedee

Hmmmmmmm, can't say that I agree with you there. Most of the chain shops like Tower or HMV do have a very wide range of stuff, it's just that non-chart music is more expensive.
    Any time I've been in the likes of Road, Freebird or Big Brother the staff have been super helpful and the selection has been good. If they don't stock what you are looking for they can order it for you.
    I agree that CD's are cheaper in the UK and the selection can be bigger than here but I'd find it a nightmare to only buy a lot of CD's twice a year. You'd be much better off buying them online then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"mediocre everclear album" ere! heh

i've had no problems with the GD store in carlow, sure it's out of stock sometimes, but I never expect it *or any store bar tower recrods* to have much of the music I like, so I don't get pissed..

that being said the one in carlow has recently started stocking the odd bit of animé, for which i am thankful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

the staff have been super helpful and the selection has been good. If they don't stock what you are looking for they can order it for you.

Any record shop will order a CD for you if you want it. The problem is, generally I don't go into record shops looking for particular CD's. I go in and browse and pick a handful on the spot.

What I am trying to say is that there surely is a market for the middle ground. It is being filled in Scotland, but as far as I can tell, not in Dublin. The two shops I mentioned are both expanding in cities smaller than Dublin so there must be something in it.
    You'd be much better off buying them online then.

I do buy Cd's online too, mainly from the US but the problem again is that you need to know what you're looking for first. It's not so easy to browse online. You can do it if you have a day or two to spare, but who does?

I think my main gripe is with the price of Cd's in Dublin, particularly Cd singles. I just don't buy them anymore, while I used to buy 4 or 5 a week. It has to be something I really want now.

Admittedly a few of the shops mentioned in this thread are new to me, so I will try and check them out in the next week or two. I live in hope.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I had to laugh at my local GD, they decided they would make a "Gangsta Rap" section, and it consists of like 15 different cds with the likes of D-12, Eminem, Glamma Kid (?) and P. Diddy. The odd time a good cd will somehow manage to find it's way onto a GD shelf, but there is usually just the one and it is usually only found by flicking through every cd on the shelves... Tower probably offers the best selection with some rare enough cds but they are too expensive for my liking. HMV do the trick for me. Virgin is almost as crap as GD in my opinion that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭pookster

I browse on amazon.co.uk. They have everything, but then will try to buy it on www.cdwow.ie if they have it. CD's are £11.25 inc P+P

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭stickinikki

Originally posted by mixer007
    Simple solution for Dubs alright, what about the poor country folk.

come to live in dublin?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Deirdre

GD in Carlow is pretty good. Used to buy there when I was restricted to the world of the wireless and the accordians.

I don't buy CD's, I can't afford them. But I guess when my boyfriend buys for me we usually go Tower. Expensive, but they have a better selection than HMV. Usually.

Deirdre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tower have got a decent enough selection alright, but the metal section is pretty poor.
    same ol' **** all the time

• Advertisement
Advertisement