Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smething you can help me with....

Options
  • 04-01-2002 7:17pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to gather some (5-10) hard hitting, absolutely provable *facts* regarding the state of the nations telecomms infrastructure.

This has nothing to do with IOFFL and I havent asked them anything about it.... its just a plan I have and I need more brains then I've got :)

So, things like
    "27th of 30 countries for national broadband infrastructure" - Source:OECD

(thats true btw).

What I'm looking for are hard hitting, undeniable FACTS so a source or proof would be helpful.

I'll let everyone know what I'm thinking when I get it straight in my head but as you might imagine, its nasty and pointed. :)

Stuff relating to the Governments failure to do anything about it also welcome... including broken promises etc.

IOFFL may be going the nicey nicey route (which I 100% agree with from their POV)... but that doesnt mean I have to! :)
    (thats more or less the reason I didnt put myself forward for IOFFL committee... I'm not sure I could be completely civil to these people and I'm pretty sure my particular brand of bluntness would assist the cause!!

So, here's something you could all help with which will assist me... (or do you just complain about inaction without actually getting off your butts [1])

DeV.

[1] I live under a bridge :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Here's a couple:

1. No generally available home broadband. ISDN remains the 'cutting edge' option.

2. No flat-rate dial-up internet packages.

3. Cablemodem service abandoned by NTL.

4. Eircom DSL services still being trialled after 3 years. Proposed retail price one of the highest in the world.

5 No local loops unbundled. LLU charges still being disputed in the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Despite passing a regulation mandating access to local telecoms networks, the European Commission has failed to persuade incumbent operators (Eircom) to give up their hold on the local loop.

Eircom continually uses legal actions to delay the process.

The Communications Bill set out by the Government is overdue.

"In terms of access to broadband infrastructure, Ireland comes out very poorly," said Ms Isolde Goggin, director of the regulated markets division of the National Competition Authority.

Even though thats completely copied and pasted from an Irish Times article :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Announcing the decision [Sale of Cablelink], Minister O' Rourke said: "The sale must entail a commitment by the purchaser to upgrade the Cablelink network to a state of the art multi-media platform with third party access. This platform will enable Cablelink to become an important provider of a range of advanced multi-media services including digital television, internet, telephony, and value added services such as data services, messaging, video on demand, video conferencing and interactive services such as home shopping and home banking."

"I believe that the upgrading of the Cablelink network presents a valuable opportunity for the provision of a range of advanced multi-media services together with competitive telephony services after 1 January, 2000. Cablelink's customers will be the ultimate beneficiaries of the sale in terms of more services, better quality and competitive rates," said Minister O' Rourke.

Mary O'Rourke, 7 April 1998

Note also that Cablelink were given 1million ECU by the govt to upgrade the cable in the Tallaght Area in Dec 1998. See here.

Here we are four years later. No internet. No telephony. No third-party access. Except in a bit of Tallaght, oddly enough..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's an utter disgrace that NTL and Chorus have been allowed to toddle along like they have, with no innovation whatsoever. Even their digital services are pathetically slow to roll out. They sent us forms asking us if we wanted to upgrade something like three years ago now, and they're still farting about in the Northside picking their noses. Their excuse is the usual: "Interest in new services isn't appreciable." Of course it bloody isn't, there's nothing to be interested in. You have to release something to create a buzz, you dorks!

Nearly forgot why I was supposed to post in the first place. Tom, you'll find two docs here with some facts:

http://iewebs.com/~abeecher/misc/io/htm/

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

state protected monoploy's are undermining broadband infrastructure.
    Prove, ntl first abandoned cable internet, because it could not complete it and protect its state back monopoly (all true and hard hitting)

• Advertisement

“I have recently announced my intention to take a range of initiatives which will provide the Director with a firmer basis for the regulation of the sector. Among the issues which will be addressed are the accountability, independence and effective operation of the Office, a framework for the effective anagement of overlapping jurisdictional issues and enhanced enforcement powers for the Director.
    It is my intention to bring the necessary legislative proposals to give statutory effect to these initiatives before Government as soon as possible.”
    Mary O’Rourke, 6 May 1999

Minister O’ Rourke said the legislation after the summer recess would replace the Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation with a Commission for Communications. Its powers would be broadened and would provide for effective enforcement of the Commission’s decisions.
    27 June 2000

"I am most anxious to have the Communications (Regulation) Bill progressed as soon as possible.." "All going well it is planned to publish the Bill early in 2002".
    Mary O'Rourke, 20 November 2001

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

NOTE: this document has been edited since I published the link. Also, new facts for publication are welcome. Work in progress an' all that.

adam

I've gone through all the DPE press releases since 1997, and put together a collection of quotes with links to the original docs here:

http://www.qvolution.com/ioffl/dpequotes.htm

A few of my favourites..

"I hope Telecom Éireann will now turn their attention to address the issue of introducing a flat rate Internet charge. Such a move would be a major boost to the promotion of Ireland as a centre for E Commerce,"

Mary O’Rourke, 29 September 1998

"As a Government I believe we have been quick to realise the potential of E Commerce and have taken major steps to make it a reality of everyday life for business and consumers.”

Mary O’Rourke, 3 September 1999

“As far as the Information Age is concerned, it will be access all areas. There will be no so-called digital divide.”

Mary O’Rourke, 26 July 2000

Advertisement