Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to edit what programs run on start up?

Options
  • 04-01-2002 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

i know theres a few ways to do this but i forget 'em all :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

msconfig for Win98

or else start regedit and go to:

Hkey Local Machine / software /microsoft / windows / currentversion /
    run and/or
    runonce and/or
    runservices

Try HKey Current User as well and the same path as above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you don't need an early runlevel, just dump a shortcut to the app in $HOME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try a System Mechanic, good prog that :) another way of customizing startup progs

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

this is fairly handy as well...
    its called startup cop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

msconfig for XP aswell..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

start run msconfig works on Win98 but not Win2K. No need to use 3rd party software when that will do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

regedit, its a free and easy to use register editing tool, it will allow you to do what you want

regedit, its a free and easy to use register editing tool, it will allow you to do what you want

You mean the regedit bundled with Windows, Boston? If so, it's most certainly not free, it's not particularly easy for someone who doesn't understand computing to use, and it's bloody dangerous...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Agree with all of Adam's comments save the "it's not free". As dangerous as FDisk in the wrong hands, certainly, but it came free with my copy of Windows. Couldn't get Windows without it, didn't pay any extra money for it and so on

(and after digesting a big book on the NT4 registry a few years ago, I find it very useful and easy, but your point still stands)

I guess it depends on your definition. I consider a program like Apache free software. You don't have to buy something else to get it, you can just go to httpd.apache.org and download and use it. And because it's on a BSD-style licence, you can pretty much do what you want with it, from the source up. The same isn't true for regedit. You have to buy Windows to get it, and you'll never get near the internals. Not that it would be much use without, but you know what I'm like when I get anal. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by dahamsta

You mean the regedit bundled with Windows, Boston? If so, it's most certainly not free, it's not particularly easy for someone who doesn't understand computing to use, and it's bloody dangerous...

adam
    No, its a little freeware program for all versions of windows, it doesnt allow you indept access but for things like start up and redirecting folders its handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

msconfig did the job i wanted quik and easy, no hassle, thanks

Advertisement