Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade questions

Options
  • 05-01-2002 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I am presuming that others posters would know more about this than me...I have a P3 500 with 128 ram 10gb HD and TNT2...I want to upgrade basically...but its limited...i figure the graphics are fine and so is the ram for a little while...so a new processor...I know that P4 requires a new motherboard due to new connections or some crap...so what would people suggest...a new processor and a new hard disk...currently i have found a 40gb HD for £115...and a P3 933 for about £160-£170...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I personally would stick with a pIII chip as in some cases they actually outperform a p4. Your biggest performance gain would be to improve your chip, graphics card and maybe add some ram. What OS are you using, as the memory management in win98 isn't really that good once you go over 128M. A 10 G Hd is ok, but you will run out of space pretty soon with some of the new games coming out (AVP2 takes 1.3 GIG).
    I am presuming that others posters would know more about this than me
    Not necessarily, we are all still learning..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

also if you could give us some info on wat happens to the computer when you run an appliction that YOU think would run better on a new machine, you would be surprised how a tweak here and there can improve performance [ever the optimist me]

in the meantime, this may be of some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭][Spoof Jesus][

I am using Win98...Believe me I know AvP2 takes up space...it wont run properly on my pc...I got a new lot of games last week...and I can only play with 2 at a time...Red Faction has 1.2gig install...though its well uninstalled...i hate that crap game...that website you gave me is good thanks a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Don't get an old PIII - waste of money. Get a Celeron 1.2GHz if you're going to Intel route, and a Tualatin compatible motherboard. It's about 50% cheaper than a PIII 1GHz (from OC:UK) and it's also a better performer IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Or else just get this:

http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm

Its a 1.2ghz celeron, and an adapter which will let it work on your current motherboard.

Or, go for a new athlon or p4 motherboard and appropriate chip. Theres no point in buying a new motherboard for the tualatin, its not that much of a jump unless you overclock it, and the chip is severely limited by the terrible bandwidth of the i815ept chipset.

• Advertisement
Advertisement